SAU Community

Brand New Oem Coils On E85. Where's The Limit?

Hi All,

Hit the dyno last night and was getting missfire/spark breakdown at 14psi and above, mainly on cylinder 1 according to the plugs. increased dwell, gapped the plugs, dielectric grease. issue never went away.

eventual goal is 27-28psi on HKS2530s on a 2.6L running E85, a hail mary ~600whp.

the question is will Brand new OEM coils handle this kind of cylinder pressure? If so, I will buy them, or will I need to go to another solution like Audi R8 COP coils, or something more difficult to mount/install like LS2/IGN-1A coils. the D585 Yokon COP kits are a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers

Alex

Brand new OEM coils or Splitfires should do what you're asking of them. If they don't you can always offload them for a reasonably large percentage of what you just bought them for and then go the Audi, GM or Yaris route.

• 4 weeks later...

My std brand new coil paks started misfiring at 15psi 98 fuel ditched them for splitfires and have had no trouble since and I run 23 psi with 98 fuel

I'm starting to see minor issues on e85 under WOT with splitfires, however as soon as I mix in some 98 again (flex setup) it completely goes away.

This might be able to fixed up in the tune, but my feeling is the ignition system is near it's limit.

Just an update here,

I've decided to go a set of genuine R35 coils (22448-JF00B) and make up a bracket for them to sit in. as I have an R34 gtr, the coils are plug and play.

interesting to note, is the stock R34 coil dwell is around 2ms at 14v, and the R35 coils are 4.2ms.. so I'm expecting MUCH stronger spark, as evidence of this, the AMS alpha package cars making 1500+hp still use stock R35 coilpacks.

I have direct wired power through a relay from the engine bay main 12v+ post for the coil power as well. using the standard 12v+ from the ECCS relay as the activation signal for it.

Edited by burn4005

New oem coils dont seem to be the same quality as the originally OEM factory fitted ones.

We made over 1000hp on OEM coilpacks with HKS DLI and NGK fine tip racing plugs (the key) numerous times, nowadays we struggle with some brand new OEM ones at 20-25psi.

If you want decent coils run IGN-1A they are 103kj compared the the now fad 2zz toyota coils which are only 43kj.

Plenty have. Work great, apart from not fitting under the coil covers

Nobody on SAU has as far as I can tell. Nobody has posted pics or a review anyway.

Anything that doesn't fit under the coilpack cover is a no go for me.

Has anyone used the yaris coils on an RB yet? Plenty of talk of them on JZ but nothing for us.

yup quite a few but 43kj for the yaris versus 103kj for the IGN-1A its a simple decision..