SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

3 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

and it has launch control, AWD, makes fart noises in Sports, chops plenty of cars and not to mention actually handles bloody well... the active dampers makes me horny though, it's so good.

I'm scared of Euros, but love them too.   I am trying not to get too tempted to get an S3 as my next car for these kinds of reasons.  

42 minutes ago, Lithium said:

I'm scared of Euros, but love them too.   I am trying not to get too tempted to get an S3 as my next car for these kinds of reasons.  

Completely understand. I wouldn't buy a euro for a race car yet, but as a daily....ooph my RS3 has converted me lol. I understand the extra $$ in the price tag now, on a different level.

2 minutes ago, timmy_89 said:

Completely understand. I wouldn't buy a euro for a race car yet, but as a daily....ooph my RS3 has converted me lol. I understand the extra $$ in the price tag now, on a different level.

I am very jealous.  Can't justify RS3 money but if I could, I would.   And yeah, not for a race car - but an S3 would make for a nice everyday car.

3 minutes ago, timmy_89 said:

Hard man, Euro cars are on a different level.

I prefer driving the TIguan SUV (note, it's a huge freaking car for families) more than the R33, that's saying quite a lot! 

However would never mod a Euro the way I mode JDM cars, nor would I race them because the dash will light up brighter than a Christmas tree.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lithium said:

I am very jealous.  Can't justify RS3 money but if I could, I would.   And yeah, not for a race car - but an S3 would make for a nice everyday car.

S3 with a tune will still be mint ;) ....what year you looking at? Never thought I'd spend RS3 money on a car this early in my life but had to justify selling the 34 some how ?

4 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Hard man, Euro cars are on a different level.

I prefer driving the TIguan SUV (note, it's a huge freaking car for families) more than the R33, that's saying quite a lot! 

However would never mod a Euro the way I mode JDM cars, nor would I race them because the dash will light up brighter than a Christmas tree.

Not wrong......plus euro parts tax is worse than GTR tax lol...... I'll be doing an engine and gearbox tune eventually but admittedly not in a huge rush.

5 minutes ago, timmy_89 said:

S3 with a tune will still be mint ;) ....what year you looking at? Never thought I'd spend RS3 money on a car this early in my life but had to justify selling the 34 some how ?

Haha yeah, a mate has a 2015 8V with a Revo Stage 2 kit on it and it is more than peppy.   Tbh I'd be happy with something like that, even a closer to stock version than that just to try and keep the lights on the dash to a minimum :)

Edited by Lithium

Theres a bloke down in Melbourne tracking an audi TTRS. Only mods are brake pads, intake, down pipe and tune. Made 304awkw. Has lapped Phillip island in 1:48 and Sandown in 1:20 on street tyres (Pirelli p zero). Has been doing it for a couple of years now and had no issues other than wear and tear of brakes and tyres. That's quite rapid and looks like an everyday car, the only thing that gives anything away is the carbon intake that's probably worth about as much as my r33.

• Haha 1

@timmy_89 how many CELs have you unlocked so far? lol (also your signature is going mental, it's a HUGE empty white box). I'm up to 2x on a 1.5 year old car with 18k kms :D 

Also have had sunroof lighting fixed/recalled, front wheel bearings re-greased/re-assembled, countless coolant top ups - all free of course, because warranty hahaha

1 minute ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

@timmy_89 how many CELs have you unlocked so far? lol (also your signature is going mental, it's a HUGE empty white box). I'm up to 2x on a 1.5 year old car with 18k kms :D 

Also have had sunroof lighting fixed/recalls, front wheel bearings re-greased/re-assembled, countless coolant top ups - all free of course, because warranty hahaha

Coolant top up does not sound good. I know of another bloke who bought a brand new s3 for his wife and from new was losing coolant, eventually audi pulled the head and fixed the issue. Not sure exactly what it was but its fixed now. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, admS15 said:

Good idea. Out of warranty euro is a big risk unless it's a known reliable model. Then it's just a calculated slightly smaller risk.

I took a punt on mine when it was just out of warranty lol. 

3 and half years later, it's still going strong. 

51 minutes ago, Count Grantleyish said:

I took a punt on mine when it was just out of warranty lol. 

3 and half years later, it's still going strong. 

I'll have to put the mk6 golf r on my known good vag list?

21 hours ago, WantGTR said:

Change this thread title to 'no car content - it's The Block'. f**king clickbait bro

Lololol inshallah, here's some car shit.

One reason why not many people (even shops) setup PWM control on fuel pumps is because no-one really understands the theory, me included. So the reason why I kept churning through SSRs was purely due to inductive "fly back". When using a SSR to run any form of inductive load you need some way to suppress the inductive load caused by rapid on/off states of the motor, in this case the fuel pump. Without suppression in place, you'll end up with nasty voltage spikes which can exceed the SSR's load causing the SSR to fail. 

So after a few hours spent reading up on engineering forums, watching engineering videos I've worked out by installing a basic diode across the inductive load aka fuel pump you'll suppress the voltage spikes and ultimately stop trying SSRs. This means no need for expensive dedicated fuel controllers worth hundreds of dollars.

FWIW, all you need is a high current Schottky Diode, they're of better quality than your normal diodes.

20191013_172452.thumb.jpg.4540c8b1141b5b15dfb25c8877c54e99.jpg

• Like 1