SAU Community

Leaving your car in reverse gear while rolling down a hill

IM-32-FK

Leaving your car in reverse gear while rolling down a hill

Hey guys,

Earlier today i turned into a steep hill street and I realised that it was the wrong street so I put it in reverse gear to pull out of the street but then a taxi came up behind me so I couldn't get out of the street. So I went down the hill but after going down about 50 metres I realised I still left it in reverse gear while my foot was pressed down on the clutch pedal. I only realised I left it in reverse gear when I heard that winding noise reverse gear makes so I immediately put it in neutral. 

I was wondering if this could damage the gearbox or any transmission system or anything else on the car. I tested reverse gear straight after and it still seemed fine but I just wanted to make sure.

thanks

Edited by IM-32-FK

I'm sure 50m won't cause a problem, but potential issue is that the oil pump is running backwards so no oil pressure in the motor for that time. 

Seen as his foot was on the clutch and im guessing the car must have been running (seen as it was being driven prior to this) for a start would not have been an issue.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I'm sure 50m won't cause a problem, but potential issue is that the oil pump is running backwards so no oil pressure in the motor for that time. 

I'd like to here your reasoning for this Duncan....how does the oil pump run backwards?  This  - to my thinking - means that the motor was running backwards??

Only way I can think of this happening is if you are rolling backwards down a steep hill while its in say 3rd gear but the motor is switched off??? And if its switched off, no bang or boost so no oil pressure would not be a bad thing given the duration. But willing to learn.

1 hour ago, tridentt150v said:

Nope, not a thing.

Sorry forgot to mention that the front of the car was facing down the hill . I wasn't going down the hill backwards like I was reversing down the hill if u can get the picture

8 hours ago, Duncan said:

Haha, The engine runs clockwise no matter what gear you are in... Oil pressure would not be effected at all.

If you had of taking your foot off the clutch then best case scenario the engine stalls and you come to a abrupt stop... worst case something may have broken from the shock load..

But you didn't so nothing to worry about at all.