SAU Community

RB20 Turbo selection (twinscroll housing advice)

Pretty sure CEF33Y is running a TD05-18G from memory.

Here is a bit more info and another pic because your image doesn't work on mobile lith.

1NWW5YW.jpg

4bFRymq.jpg

It says it's in a nissan housing but doesn't mention what A/R. Either way its pretty shit and the exact opposite of what i am looking for haha. I agree that a 7163 would crush it and i'm hoping a 6758 would be miles ahead in repsonse and still make roughly the same power. 

Price wise the best i have found for a 6758 here in Australia is;

$1506 for a iron bearing supercore
$630 AUD for a G type (T4 TS .80 A/R) turbine housing
$16 for turbine locking tabs
$78 for wastegate brcaket kit and i already have an EFR compatible single port turbosmart wastegate

So roughly $2200 compared to the $2800 that cartel online has them listed for (which is the cheapest in AUS) and the $3000 that GCG has them for.

Almost ready to pull the trigger on buying this EFR setup!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Pretty sure CEF33Y is running a TD05-18G from memory.

Nah, I'm running a Hypergear OP6 highflow.

Stock manifolds, unopened motor, just supporting mods on 98. Cheap setup, and i'm pretty happy with it (read- used to the lag)

Super keen to see what results you get though.

• Like 1

Ah yeah, 18Gs are one of my less favourite units funnily enough - not least because they are heading in the direction of 20Gs for lag and 16Gs for power... hence I figure you go either 16G or 20G, there is no worthwhile in between despite everyone going for the 18G for some reason. <edit: I see Cef33y isn't, though the same still applies but it's more understandable that it's got so little at 4000>

Cool man, would love to see how that setup will go on a 20!!!  There is a disclaimer I always give for EFRs, don't jump to any conclusions of how it is performing until you actually drive it :)

Edited by Lithium

Yeah my bad i was thinking of CRSKmD! Yeah im sure it would be fun but the lag would be horrible for me (coming from a RB25/30 neo with a SS2 .82 rear). I fking love RB20's though and a 260-300kw RB20 is not by any means a slow thing. Sure its no absolute powerhouse but that is heaps of power to go and have fun at a track day/drift day. So i am obviously trying to cook up the best streetable RB20 possible.

17 hours ago, Lithium said:

Cool man, would love to see how that setup will go on a 20!!!  There is a disclaimer I always give for EFRs, don't jump to any conclusions of how it is performing until you actually drive it :)

And drive it i will! This is not going to be a car that lives in the shed, will be driving it daily as much as i can haha. I think i found your mate with the 7163 on the 3sGTE on youtube as well.

FWIW i have purchased a Garage7 IPC and will be using that in this build also. Seems like a very cool but of gear but will be interesting to see how it actually works in the real world.

59 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Yeah my bad i was thinking of CRSKmD! Yeah im sure it would be fun but the lag would be horrible for me (coming from a RB25/30 neo with a SS2 .82 rear). I fking love RB20's though and a 260-300kw RB20 is not by any means a slow thing. Sure its no absolute powerhouse but that is heaps of power to go and have fun at a track day/drift day. So i am obviously trying to cook up the best streetable RB20 possible.

Yeah, my cars have always been laggy, so don't know what I'm missing, haha

At 240rwkw, its plenty for what I do (drifting). Bonus is I don't use as many tires as other peeps.

They're saying that the turbo is creeping like hell and they managed to control it via their IPC (and a very soft spring I suppose) instead of porting the shit out of the wastegate.
So yes I think there is room for improvement, beginning by the wastegate porting.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, driftnick13 said:

It's on a hub dyno, not sure if that makes a difference.

Nope, I've had a 50trim T3/T04E on the stock manifold a hub dyno with a stock RB20 and it was similar to the GTX on that plot... unless a VERY fast sweep was selected it seems rather laggy for what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Turbo purchased and should be here in next 2 weeks. Manifold getting made at the moment :) really wanted to make an exact copy of the Gibson one but there was a few factors stopping it and I ended up going a different route. Manifold is getting made with a 8374 so if i ever go RB26 it will fit perfectly no dramas. Baby little 6758 should fit easily haha.

Cooler piping will be done when turbo turns up.

received_10212408355514650.jpegreceived_10212414287582948.jpegreceived_10212414286222914.jpeg

• Like 3

A hole in the bonnet should do it. It'll be easier after the first outing, just cut out the burnt area of paint!

Should be a fun car to drive, there's something about revving the crap out of an rb20 that feels good.

A hole in the bonnet should do it. It'll be easier after the first outing, just cut out the burnt area of paint!
Should be a fun car to drive, there's something about revving the crap out of an rb20 that feels good.

I know right! I honestly really do love them. Cant wait to spin this thing as hard as I can :)

Should sound great with that manifold, post some videos up when it's done.

Hopefully mate! The sound was a large part of the reason I went with a manifold like this. Will be going 3" straight through with twin 3.5" tips from Diff back

As I said there was a couple of reasons I couldn't go Gibson style, that was originally what I wanted. But after talks with my fabricator and facing some facts I decided on just going a completely custom manifold. Hopefully i can still get it to sound as close as possible to the Gibson item.

After deciding not to go with the Gibson I though I would try the gts-r manifold route. But decided against that in the end too. I have some tasty up close pics of a gts-r manifold though if you want them [emoji14]