SAU Community

Brakes. I need BRAKES. But there's a question...

G'day team.

Before anyone goes off, YES, I have done a search. No, I didn't get the answers I was looking for.

In a nutshell: whats the biggest brakes people have managed to fit behind 17" rims on a BNR32?

I've got some beautiful genuine RAYS LM-GT4's for my GTR in 17"...but I don't think I'll be able to get enough disc & caliper behind them to pull it up once it's back from it's *ahem* small heart transplant.

So: I will be using the car for 'spirited' driving occasionally, and when it sees track days, I need it to pull up reliably time and time again, and from higher speeds than the standard Brembos can handle(they'll be getting sold off). I'm not going bigger than 18" for aesthetic and practical reasons, but I'm happy to keep 17" IF I can fit good enough stoppers. Clearance is the thang!

R32 GTR peeps. Come at me. Tell me what worked. What didn't. Issues. Results. Photos?

2 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Was going to say, didn't someone fit 375mm brakes to a 17?

Depends largely on rim. LMGT4 and TE37 are good for clearance. How good though? Most people get wheels to fit brakes, not the other way around.

36 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

332mm seems to be a "popular" size so I'd assume that's the largest you can go under 17" wheels.

Yes, the other thread linked above has someone who swears that he fit 375mm rotors inside the 17's that had 390mm bore diameter.  I have a hard time believing that there is any clearance at all between the calipers and the wheel bores, and I have a hard time believing that the calipers actually even have enough room to have material to hold the two halves together in the first place.  But they were AP Racing calipers or something equally exotic, not the bulky arse Sumitomos that we start with.

I have R33 Sumitomos on R33 rotors inside Enkei RPF1 17s.  There is just enough room to slide your fingers between the caliper and the wheel bore.  Therefore there is bugger all possibility of going much bigger than the 324mm sort of size change that people do with these Sumitomos inside a wheel like mine.  The Brembos that usually sit on the 324mm rotors (and other similar Brembos, like the Evo ones that people use a lot these days) must be more space efficient (radially) because they do seem to go onto 330-340mm rotors well enough.  And of course that still leaves the question of the wheel bore diameter as another variable.

In short, the caliper design and the wheel bore both matter.

Yep they stopped my 2 ton Stagea from 250+ Km/hr  lap after lap and Duncan uses them on his race car so bigger is not necessarily better (just more unsprung weight).

Good feedback, team!
I agree most get the brakes first then fit the wheels around them, but because mines a V Spec II, and 17" has been the nominal size AND I've got this sweet set of RAYS/Volks (with history to them), I wanted to stay 17.
However, the car will need to harness a LOT more power and speed, so if I need more stopping power than I can fit under these rims, they'll be up for sale. O also don't want to 'over tyre OR over brake' the set up. It is possible to run silly size wheels that stuff up the handling and ride quality and it is also possible to have brakes too big that overwhelm the mechanical grip available, so it's a balancing act!

I was going to say what happened to the old good rotors pads and fluid? Surely even at what 1500kg the brembos on it with really good stuff to combine with it will do the job every now and then on the track and definitely on the street

I was going to say what happened to the old good rotors pads and fluid? Surely even at what 1500kg the brembos on it with really good stuff to combine with it will do the job every now and then on the track and definitely on the street

That definitely works, I have stock sumitomos on my 33 gtst with 324mm gtr front rotors, 40 mm ducting, intima brake pads and penrite 10 tenths fluid. My lap times at Sandown which is heavy on brakes have been pretty good. Only issue is I kill the pads within 2-3 track days. Some V8 supercar spec alcons would be awesome to combat that but in my case they would be worth more than my car.
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 2:34 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

If it's non vspec just get R33 or R34 or Z33 brakes and fit them.

Are the Z33 Brembos a for sure fit on the R32 GTR?  Other than drilling the Holes to 14mm is there anything else?