SAU Community

Is the modding scene slowing?

Hey guys,

I have been noticing that the modding scene is somewhat slowing with a lot of people now wanting to keep their cars stock for resell and preservation value then there's the issue getting defected by cops all the time for modifications and also the fact that the majority of us do not take our cars to the track or drag strip so cruising around town at 60km/h or 100km/hr doesn't really make having a 200HP or 1000HP much of a difference. 

I, one, own a modified R33 GTR and a pretty stock R34 GTR and I must say driving the R34 GTR is sometimes more enjoyable but I would take my R33 GTR out when I want to drive a little more "spiritedly" but still this is very limited as I only drive to the shops and the like in my GTR alone and then drive my Kluger with the family around most of the time. So really the $20K that I spent on mods for the R33 GTR somtimes frustrates me and knowing that the resell value would of course lower on modified cars.

So I guess would it be true that many more owners are keeping cars stock as opposed to modifying them like the early 2000's?

Cheers,

Alex

Not many stock skylines in NZ and I'm not sure there is a great premium for unmodified examples anyway.  The problem with unmodified Skylines is that they are generally quite slow compared to most modern cars.

• Like 1

I don't think the scene has slowed, just evolved I suppose.

The days of commonly seeing cars with extreme body kits and loud paint schemes are gone. It's more common to see highly modified cars with stock exteriors. I think more people are seeing value in keeping cars tidy.

I think this is a result of a younger generation coming through and showing appreciation for these cars which aren't a dime a dozen anymore (for clean examples). My 21y.o nephew just picked up a S13 and he plans to rebuild the engine and give it a good tidy up. Shieeeet, at his age I would have bolted up an undercar neon kit on that bad boy quicker than you can say chamillionaire's last song was dope!

• Like 2

Newer cars are faster stock, and with just basic exhaust bits, FMIC, intakes and a tune they're making more power than a R32~R34 GT-R with money thrown  at it.

Good example are the 135, 235, 335 BMWs.. if you can pay to play, M2/3/4 don't require much effort to be fast on the line and around the track.

There are old bastards just like myself who still throw oddles of money at older cars (which I regret daily, but always seem to continue to do so).

Last useless bit of opinion, I actually have  more fun and enjoy driving my Tiguan 162TSI than the R33.

• Like 1

From my experience it comes and goes, movies are good for the scene I found, to a point, not F&F, that sort of was all neons and shit body kits.

But for me, going back 35 odd years of driving sporty or performance type cars its the movies that did it for me.

Bullet, vanishing point, gone in 60 sec (both new and old), mad max, running on empty.

They were epic, new movies like F&F or need for speed, not so much, well for me anyway.

The F&F franchise sure put alot if money into the workshops and suppliers though.

There are not as many "worked" cars on the road nowdays though, I would say the scene is at a low point, plus with the hoon and P plate laws and such, that has stopped nearly all the street racing, when I was young every second night there was a drag race somewhere, well somewhere other than the drags that is.

• Like 1

Yes, I think it is.

Lots of good points made above already so I'll just throw in another perspective – younger people just aren't driving as much anymore:

image.thumb.png.389a9ba0f4c8e14dc62c06c226e837b5.png

This is from a Sep 2017 report from the RACV. There's some speculation in it as to what's behind this but sounds like further research is needed to better understand why this is happening.

Source: https://www.racv.com.au/content/dam/racv/images/public-policy/reports/RACV Young Adult Licensing Trends 2017.pdf

• Like 1

i lost interest in modding a long time ago, luckily before i had the chance to pump mass cash into any of my cars. over the years, and following many many builds, it becomes pretty obvious that heavy modding is a waste of time and money. many fully built cars spend their time off the road with breakages, never ending upgrades or being moved between different shops and the end result, while fun, is pretty much pointless for road use. it all usually ends with the car being parted out or sold for a lot less than it cost to build and the owner wondering where all their money went

these days im more keen on well set up factory cars, keeping them stock and in mint condition

Edited by junkie
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, junkie said:

i lost interest in modding a long time ago, luckily before i had the chance to pump mass cash into any of my cars. over the years, and following many many builds, it becomes pretty obvious that heavy modding is a waste of time and money. many fully built cars spend their time off the road with breakages, never ending upgrades or being moved between different shops and the end result, while fun, is pretty much pointless for road use. it all usually ends with the car being parted out or sold for a lot less than it cost to build and the owner wondering where all their money went

these days im more keen on well set up factory cars, keeping them stock and in mint condition

Thanks for everyone's comments guys...but I think my view is alike Junkie's.

The modding scene isn't slowing down - I think you're referring to the "Skyline Modding scene" in particular.

It naturally goes in waves. Skylines used to be cheap performance heroes but now with age, and scarcity are transcending into collectibles.

Look at how prized original FJ Holdens are now, and see the stuff they did back in the 80s:

45809628_2111729018891716_9141019032546181120_n.jpg.abb60411a5633200baa14eed47109710.jpg

Skylines I feel are naturally following suit. 

Personally, I've been working for Unique Cars for the past year and definitely have gained a newfound appreciation for originality and the owners who grow old with their cars.

Also, the aftermarket scene I feel is still growing, but is just becoming increasingly derivative - seemingly the most celebrated "builds" these days amongst the young'ns are just wheels, airbags and a vinyl wrap.

My $0.02

• Like 1

From what I've seen in Melbourne the LS scene peaked several years ago and then slowed down, and a similar thing happened to the Skyline scene. I think you're spot on, it's all cyclical ... I'm not sure what the cool kids are up to these days, probably modding their EVs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, V28VX37 said:

younger people just aren't driving as much anymore:

This may not be limited to just younger people. I drive less now than I have ever done before.

When I first got my license i would drive anywhere anytime just to go out. I would estimate that i managed to complete more than 50k kms each year no problem.

I would be lucky to rack up 10k kms in a year across all my cars combined. I probably manage to do a full 5k kms on my push bikes. I just find that I have too much going on (work, family etc) and when I do want to go our, riding a bike has the added benefit of keeping my weight in check and my fitness up.

18 hours ago, r33cruiser said:

It's more common to see highly modified cars with stock exteriors.

This. ^ 100% agree. I suspect this is to keep unwanted attention down (police, EPA and of course thieves).

• Like 2

My opinion on this is yes, the modification scene has slowed, but the people who are missing are the type of people who slapped neons under their dashboards, bolted (or in one case i've seen, glued) some crazy wing on the back of their car and changed the hubcaps. 

The people who like the challenge and the engineering side are all still here in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Technology and social media has played a huge role too. All the millennials are watching the likes of Adam LZ/ TJ Hunt etc on YouTube or Instagram.

Gone are the days of traditional car clubs and web pages. Downshift/ Tuned etc all now advertise on Facebook pages rather than on here.

Also, manufacturers are just bringing out boring cars (In a cheaper price bracket) that makes it less appealing to a car modder/enthusiast. I mean, an 86 with a rocket bunny kit on bags is still and 86... Just sayin.

• Like 1

In my old age i just want a car to go fast and handle well while looking stock. I spent tens of thousands making a Stagea go fast but now I am trying to buy a low mileage C6 RS6 which I can get from 426KW to 500 kw just with a $2000 chip and tune!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

In my old age i just want a car to go fast and handle well while looking stock. I spent tens of thousands making a Stagea go fast but now I am trying to buy a low mileage C6 RS6 which I can get from 426KW to 500 kw just with a $2000 chip and tune!

I feel this, I am still keeping an eye on E60 M5s. Depending on the laws, I might be able to import an E61 (the wagon version).

• Like 1

After reading everyone's valid comments, I think the general consensus is that many people cannot be bothered to modified their cars due to the time and cost coupled with attracting too much unwanted attention instead opting to simply buy a stock decently fast car to begin with. 

I agree totally. I think as I'm getting old (mid 30's), I just don't see myself hooning around in a loud and heavily modified car to attract all the attention and every man and his dog wanting to drag me at the lights. I am thinking of selling my R34 GTR and getting something I've always wanted like an Audi R8 and call it a day for now. 

In conclusion, I think the car-modding scene certainly has slowed down. Although it's not totally dead, I think it is in fact dying a slow death just like how we just to put subwoofers in our cars with tricked out audio systems and DVD screens. Gone are the days of RICE(ish) modifications and in your face modifications. 

• Like 1