SAU Community

Is it me or have 32-34 GTR prices gone bonkers in Japan?

MHHJ

I imported my 1997 R33 GTR VSpec back in 2011 for a total price of about AU$22K-AU$23K (auction purchase in Japan, shipping, compliance, etc.). I had 54,000 KMs on it and still have it to this date- done about 35,000 KMs since. Out of curiosity I have been looking at some car yards in Japan to get an idea of what it would take to import another R33 GTR and the prices being quoted are averaging between AU$40K to even around AU$90K depending on state and total KMs on the car. Is this because these cars are at car yard sales? Would it be any cheaper via the auction house process?

And is there something going on with the R32-R34 GTRs that these type of cars are getting more expensive in general in Australia? I mean even on carsales.com.au I am seeing prices quoted locally which makes no sense - AU$50K - AU$70K prices. I swear 5-6 years ago a decent R33 GTR was still around AU$20K to $35K at most. Am I missing something here? Am I being too unappreciative of my R33 GTR!? 

The US 25 year import laws play a big part in the value of these cars,  and as of January this year it is legal to import the R33 into the USA which means prices are set to increase even more.

Americans really drive the prices up to ridiculous levels. There are individuals here who are already buying R34 GTRs and paying to store them, even though they can't import them for another 4 years minimum. Prices will be going through the roof with them some already getting close to the 6 figure mark. People want what they can't have, which makes them think these cars are worth the big bags of cash being asked for. Personally, I point the finger at F&F, 'influencers', and JDM fanboi types for the overhype.

Same reason Supra prices are absurd with USDM examples going for 6 figures at auction, which makes other owners think their own example is inherently worth more than it really is.

Same reason that over here, people will buy even non-GTR Skylines for 15-20K USD. The Skyline name just means that much to some people now. 

The sad truth is that in a few years, most GTRs, the 34 especially, will be unattainable to most people (myself included) without windfalls of disposable income. Those who already own these cars now are fortunate to have them! 

R34 GT-R is already unattainable, and now R33 GT-R joining in on the fun. Video games (Gran Turismo) + Fast and Furious = USA going crazy. R32 already peaked IMO.

I was watching R34 prices, they were dropping to $40k. I missed out by a year (before I was in a position to import one). Oh well.

This cannot be possibly sustainable right? I mean it has to burst like Bitcoin... At this stage US customers can only import 1995 R33 GTRs and earlier. There is still 1996-2002 left! Are we going to see prices go even higher? At some stage the market has to level out. I am seeing R34 GTRs priced more than R35 ones now. It's just madness.

There are many more people who would like a GTR in the US than there are GTRs available. There is also no shortage of Trump freedom currency circulating thanks to the CTRL-P policies in place since 2008. Nostalgia is runaway. Consumption is cool again. Insta-likes are the new currency.

Of course it will keep going up.

• Like 1

R32....probably not. They sold for ~AU$120k here. I'm not sure what was being asked in JP at the same time, but your typical R32 is not trading that high, by any means. They have bounced up and down by big amounts across the years though. When I bought a 32 GTSt at the tail end of last century, GTRs were asking >$40k. By 10 years later they were down to $20k, plus or minus. Rough ones as low as $15k. Really nice ones still asking, but probably not getting, $40k. But they're all well above those numbers now.

At the same time that R32s were down to ~$20k, the 34 was falling towards $40k, but they bottomed out there and went back up to $80k, plus or minus, fairly quickly. I'd say that some 34s are changing hands over the original JP new price.

• 6 months later...

Saw an ad for a clean looking "v-spec" in Thailand on Facebook. $192k USD (in Thai Baht).

They threw the nismo catalog at it, so it has the new ti strut bar, the carbon bits, most of the obvious nismo engine bits, etc etc. It has also had a supposed factory "custom paint color". Certainly looked nice.

Only one problem, the vin plaque was blue... It was just a normal GTR, not a v-spec. Whoops.

17 hours ago, phelbas said:

Saw an ad for a clean looking "v-spec" in Thailand on Facebook. $192k USD (in Thai Baht).

They threw the nismo catalog at it, so it has the new ti strut bar, the carbon bits, most of the obvious nismo engine bits, etc etc. It has also had a supposed factory "custom paint color". Certainly looked nice.

Only one problem, the vin plaque was blue... It was just a normal GTR, not a v-spec. Whoops.

R34 GTR Vspec Vin plaque's are supposed to be blue 

Edited by jaysevu

That VIN plate is fake, and not only that it's most likely a series 2 car, most likely a base model. 

(Unless they decided to change the steering wheel, seats, door trims, , console lid, pedals, and park brake leaver with series 2 items),

Edited by sin-

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2020 at 9:24 AM, GTSBoy said:

Won't happen in a good way. Any GTR that sells for that much in AU will be leaving our shores.

u reckon. I am just getting started.. just finished rebuilding the engine, new racing clutch, new hoses & turbo pipes redone.. engine side all done.. next have to fix the freaking chassis rail damages done due to forklifts... by the time I am done.. gonna be expensive..