SAU Community

COVID-19 Streets are empty.

Guest TT-R34

^--- that is absolutely looking for loopholes.

Logically though, going for a drive in a car and returning to my home, never getting out is 0 risk at all. However, police can't confirm that and statistically it is rare. Being pulled over mysteriously 150km from your home going nowhere near there (i.e all reasons you're allowed to be out are nowhere near your listed address) is almost certainly going to be fine time.

All of the exercise has been along the lines of "A walk/job around the block you live/walking pets in said area", the intent of the law is clear and the article mentioned is clearly looking for loopholes "oh It doesnt say I CANT do that" including a quote from an official saying "Stop looking for loopholes".

Realistically the guidance is... "do you NEED to?" if not = banned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

that is absolutely looking for loopholes

Which bit there is looking for loopholes. In the link is an email from the Health Minister Steven Miles literally stating that going for a ride on a motorbike is a form of exercise and as long as you are not doing it in groups of more than two, is permitted......

Mt Cootha is 4km away from my place, and is basically inner Brisbane, so not exactly going out of anybody's way to go through there. I am not talking about a 300km round trip. I am talking two suburbs away. 

This is the issue with a South Australian and Victorian in here offering advice. No common sense or sense of context. 

39 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

Probably a bad time to still be holding a NSW license living in QLD...If i'm out walking with my wife and kids I can't even prove that we live together

I could see that being an absolute pain in the ass. 

The same would be for the poor buggers that are essential workers down in Gold Coast, living in NSW but working in QLD. Pain in the ass. 

51 minutes ago, PWND said:

Which bit there is looking for loopholes. In the link is an email from the Health Minister Steven Miles literally stating that going for a ride on a motorbike is a form of exercise and as long as you are not doing it in groups of more than two, is permitted......

Mt Cootha is 4km away from my place, and is basically inner Brisbane, so not exactly going out of anybody's way to go through there. I am not talking about a 300km round trip. I am talking two suburbs away. 

This is the issue with a South Australian and Victorian in here offering advice. No common sense or sense of context. 

image.png.11001513ffe379cfc5a16fbe22ca42e6.png

Yes, this guy is in Vic.

And yes, the OP is in QLD.
However its the same scenario, with much the same situation with much the same enforcement, with very similar police having the same thoughts with the same powers and using similar judgement.

The link you linked Update: Is it still legal to ride?'s entire argument seems to be.....

"Well they didn't say we COULDN'T do it"

....which is pretty much THE peak loophole quote of all time, in any scenario.

It is obvious to a reasonable person that when they say bike for exercise, they clearly mean a push bike around the block in similar vein of 'ESSENTIAL' exercise, i.e walking a dog around a block. I feel if you get in to this discussion while on the back of a motorbike to a police officer, at best you'll get a warning, at worst you will be dealing with $1600 fine.

do it and post results

15 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

The link you linked Update: Is it still legal to ride?'s entire argument seems to be.....

"Well they didn't say we COULDN'T do it"

....which is pretty much THE peak loophole quote of all time, in any scenario.

Sweet baby Jesus

For the third time, and generally saying it twice is usually enough, even for my four year old son, in the link is an email from the Minister for Health and Minister for Ambulance Services stating "Exercise is a permitted purpose, and as you use your motorbike rides as exercise, it is permitted under the Direction for no more than 2 people"

Edited by PWND

2 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

do it and post results

you are going to tell a cop with a straight face that you ride your motorbike for exercise?

anyway, have you seen this on teh link you posted?

email this guy

Michael says:

Date: 6 April 2020 at 10:09:47 am AEST
To: RoostStarFilms Mick
Subject: RE: Mt Glorious sole motorcycle riding complaint

I have attached a copy of the CHO Direction for you to peruse.

The part I would draw your attention to, is paragraph 6 where is says “A person who resides in Queensland must not leave their principal place of residence except for, and only to the extent reasonably necessary to accomplish, the following permitted purposes:”. The section then lists exemptions.

The direction is very clear, you MUST stay in your principal place of residence, it does not allow recreational riding of motorcycles. The direction needs to be followed as it is the authority in this matter, not what is commented on news reports, facebook feeds or discussed on other social media platforms. I understand what you have said regarding comments in the media about exercise, but please remember the Premier recently said on the news that the Easter Bunny would be allowed into Queensland, so clearly not everything reported on media is true or accurate. Conversely, the CHO Direction is written, freely available, enforceable and is very clear. Again, at no point in the CHO direction does it permit recreational riding of a motorbike.

I have legal advice indicating that as the direction currently stands, a motorbike is only to be utilised as a means of transport in order to give effect to one of the stated exceptions, that means you can use your motorbike to go and get food, medication or go to work. It does not give you permission or authority to use your motorbike as a recreational vehicle. There are no facilities within the Mt Glorious, Mt Nebo or Mt Coot-Tha areas that would currently meet a, “reasonably necessary to accomplish” getting food or medication, criteria. Those facilities are in other areas, in your neighbourhoods, shopping centres, etc, not in the mountains.

Legal advice has indicated that the spirit and intent of the CHO Direction, is to keep people within their own neighbourhoods to slow the spread of the COVID19 virus. It is allowing physical exercise, but again that needs to be considered within your local area, not travelling on a motorbike through the mountains, and adding up all those extra unnecessary interactions like stopping for fuel. I understand there was previously a statement made by the health minister. For your information that statement was made prior to the current CHO Direction, which overrules the ministers statement.

Also, from a policing point of view, our resources are stretched attending to other activities, including border control, and policing activities at airports and hotels, and the increase in policing services helping the wider community. It would appear a number of motorbike riders have taken this as “carte blanch” to ride in a non-law abiding manner within the mountain areas. This has the potential to increase traffic crashes which will stretch our already stretched resources, along with those of the Queensland Ambulance Service, the Queensland Fire and Rescue and hospitals and emergency health staff. Again, this is in direct contrast to the idea of the CHO Direction, which is designed to limit the impact the COVID19 virus has on Hospitals and emergency services.

Remember the over arching reason for this restriction is to limit the spread of COVID19 virus, and as the advertising states, “We are all in this together”. The selfish and reckless actions of individuals claiming their “need” to go motorbike riding is in direct contradiction to what is needed at this time. Perhaps this is a good time to sit back and reflect on what is really important to the whole community and not just your own selfish individual “wants”.

Please stay at home and stop riding your motorbikes in the mountains. Please do not make us issue Traffic Infringement Notices to you, to get the point across.

I hope this clarifies matters for you.

Mick STEVENS
Senior Sergeant 9120
Officer In Charge
Indooroopilly Road Policing Unit
Road Policing Command | Queensland Police Service
31 Station Road, Indooroopilly Qld 4068
( (07) 32124520 | 7 (07) 32124503
[email protected]

2 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

anyway, have you seen this on teh link you posted?

email this guy

Once again brother, need to pay attention to details. As I posted the link 9 hours ago, and this was added several hours after I posted it, no, not yet.

That is my local police station, and the guys that police Cootha, I have now emailed the Sen Sergeant for clarification. 

LOL, if you break the law because you, worked out a way to, or just "I don't wanna", at least keep the Coronas to yourself and not spread it like all the other people who disregard the warnings, and spread it to their family members, who tend to die, a fair bit.

Hell, what is the worst that could happen.

54 minutes ago, mlr said:

keep the Coronas to yourself

Hey there pat, can you please outline how I am spreading the “coronas” by riding a motorcycle without stopping to interact with anybody?

Edited by PWND

54 minutes ago, PWND said:

Hey there pat, can you please outline how I am spreading the “coronas” by riding a motorcycle without stopping to interact with anybody?

If you are at home you aren't spreading it, I'm sure you would agree.

if you are out you are raising the chances. They now aren't zero, it's higher than zero. Surely you would agree with that.

You likely won't stop to see anyone which is your plan, or you may have to stop due to unforeseen reasons and get help/petrol/ flat tyre. Now your zero chance has gone up, not zero anymore.

that's not rocket science is it?

Yeah but this is the world gone mad...anyone just out for a drive, or ride, not stopping to interact with anyone, poses zero risk. If they were to crash and require medical assistance, yes a possibilty of risk but the amount people with covid769 (not a typo, shout out to Procedure 769) is miniscule anyway, so versus the risk of depression and psychological issues being home-detained for no reason, it is arguably the risk-minimizing approach overall. Its like, 'drive at zero k's per hour, you have zero chance of hitting anything, therefore it justifies a zero kph speed limit". No, it doesn't.

Let's not forget your Government will happily throw away your rights as an individual in favour of "those of the greater good" while conveniently sidestepping that every individual does make up "the greater good" overall.

• Like 1

I'm not saying if I think it's right or wrong, or the level of risk etc. You can argue all you want, but you will likely not be able to talk your way out of a fine should you be pulled over when out and about for an"excersise" session riding a motorbike, or a drive to clear your head etc.

Do what you want, it's your money you are risking.

Its up to every individual to make a stand though, and not just join the crowd in accepting what is unfairly implemented. If someone was unreasonably engaging in risky behaviour, eg still attending Sunday mass at church???? By all means fine all and every one of those fake-satanic f*ks, but, a person driving solo and not engaging anyone from/to their doorstep, yet being hit with a fine? I consider it is up to all to voice their disapproval of this. And yes, it becomes a hard call, so up to the individual more than ever, to ensure whether at home or driving, they keep to themselves, and minimise interaction.

And yes i heard the sound of hymns being sung on the weekend from the church just around the corner...i would safely bet, none of those dogs received a fine for their congregation. I will be calling the police if i hear it this weekend though. 

• Like 1

You do some hektiiiiiík solo burnouts Ben...with so many flights grounded, carbon footprint is at an alltime low... it would be (possibly) morally right to do it now. If busted, get a note from your GP.  All for the greater good. #notacrimeblyat

Note, clearly not legal advice and you may be assraped for doing so.

• Like 1