SAU Community

g35-900 vs g35-1050 vs 6466

Hello eveyone, Just finishing up my rb26 build but its been months since I have decided what turbo to get. I was set on the 6466 but then all of the G35 turbos came out. I have an rb26 with forged internals, kelford 272 cams, a 6 boost twin scroll manifold and all of the supporting oil cooling/baffling as well as any other supporting mods needed. My goal is about 800whp and my tuner was confident that at around 38 psi he would be able to hit that on the 6466. I havent decided on a turbo yet so is there a reason to switch to garret? cheers!

If you can get a 35-1050 with a twin scroll housing they’d be a pretty awesome choice, I’ve got a 6466 and was very happy with it until the block broke and am in the process of building an engine and going to put it back on 

• Like 3

On 08/01/2022 at 6:44 PM, r32-25t said:

If you can get a 35-1050 with a twin scroll housing they’d be a pretty awesome choice, I’ve got a 6466 and was very happy with it until the block broke and am in the process of building an engine and going to put it back on 

I have a 6466 on my built 26 but haven't got it tuned on e85 yet as I'm worried it will brake as I don't have a brace or grout. How long did it last? Motor was built around 2000kms ago (8 years ago from memory). I wasn't aware of block braces at the time and never intended on putting a 6466 on it..

On 10/1/2022 at 10:46 PM, 33SOM said:

I have a 6466 on my built 26 but haven't got it tuned on e85 yet as I'm worried it will brake as I don't have a brace or grout. How long did it last? Motor was built around 2000kms ago (8 years ago from memory). I wasn't aware of block braces at the time and never intended on putting a 6466 on it..

Mine was the typical stock engine with a big turbo on it and It didn’t last long at all, it wasn’t a huge failure it was just little signs things weren’t right, I thought it had just blown the head gasket and when I got the head off it had cracked between the head bolt hole and the coolant jackets in a few spots.

I also kinda think the issues may have already been there before I put the 6466 on and it made them more obvious.

The braces probably werent around when you built your engine, people were only grout filling and hoping for the best, I’ve gone billet block for my new engine 

Done the precision thing. Blew one up, no warranty. New engine and blew another up, well documented oil pressure and not a fkn thing wrong. Both were thrust failures. Went back to a garrett. The 6466 was a good thing, but when it lasts 4 months it can get fkd. Food for thought

On 18/01/2022 at 12:28 AM, 33GTRV said:

Done the precision thing. Blew one up, no warranty. New engine and blew another up, well documented oil pressure and not a fkn thing wrong. Both were thrust failures. Went back to a garrett. The 6466 was a good thing, but when it lasts 4 months it can get fkd. Food for thought

Yeah they seem to be very fragile, out of curiosity did you also run a Oil Pressure Regulator?

I

yeah, all as per PTE's recommendations, turbo filter, the lot. Increased the drain size and was unobstructed. They were just genuine failures, and PTE proper got their nickers in a knot when i sent the turbos over to MTQ to have a teardown and report done. They wanted them back in the states right or wrong and didnt want to pay a cent, nor have anything to do with a warranty claim.

Got a little vid on an old phone somewhere for comical purposes. See if i can dig it up

• Like 1

On 10/01/2022 at 9:46 PM, 33SOM said:

turbos dont break blocks. Cylinder pressure does. Take the timing out of it a touch at peak torque and let it live forever. 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2022 at 9:43 AM, 33GTRV said:

yeah, all as per PTE's recommendations, turbo filter, the lot. Increased the drain size and was unobstructed. They were just genuine failures, and PTE proper got their nickers in a knot when i sent the turbos over to MTQ to have a teardown and report done. They wanted them back in the states right or wrong and didnt want to pay a cent, nor have anything to do with a warranty claim.

Got a little vid on an old phone somewhere for comical purposes. See if i can dig it up

They're fragile little cnuts but they do make the power and do perform!

Contact Shane from subaru doctor 

https://www.facebook.com/TheSubaruDoctorTownsville

has put a g35 1050 on a rb25  stagea and is in the process of doing a forged motor. Car is amazing to drive and I was surprised at how good it is for a turbo that size down low.
Haven't seen a failure of a g series up here yet. 

On 18/01/2022 at 12:52 PM, Komdotkom said:

Or any G series for that matter. It's like no one ever puts them on RB's

It's because a couple of guys tried them with open scroll turbine housings, it didn't meet their expectations and it's scared off anyone else wanting to try them.

In a proper twin scroll setup, with a decent sized divided rear turbine housing I dare say they would be very competitive.

Now with the G40 range it's going to be a game changer, however GT-R boys seem to like replication of setups.

I don’t understand why turbo makers are moving away from the twin scroll housings, garret have been doing it for years and precision have done it with anything with a 75mm turbine and bigger 

On 18/01/2022 at 1:16 PM, r32-25t said:

I don’t understand why turbo makers are moving away from the twin scroll housings, garret have been doing it for years and precision have done it with anything with a 75mm turbine and bigger 

I feel that Garrett was pressured to release a new turbo to the market and rushed it out the door (big mistake). They now have a decent range of divided rear housings now.

Also the American market seems to be dominated with V8s and you wouldn't really run a twinscroll setup on a V8 (or could you... 4 gates lol).

On 18/01/2022 at 1:53 PM, BakemonoRicer said:

Precisions are made in China junk 

have fun topping up the engine oil with how much oil they spew out

lol...  And you think every single bit of your Borg Warner turbo is China free? 

• Haha 1