SAU Community

Nismo lsd.

khezz

While looking at diff options saw that kudos have a sale on nismo units. Just wondering if anyone can give me some reviews on the. I can get a 2 way rear and 1.5 way front. Car will be used on street but built for roll/drag. Goal is 8 second time slip. 

Plus a couple of other factors..... the Nismo 2-way is still pretty miserable to live with on the street. The Nismo Pro is a much better option - you can adjust it somewhat.

I would defo prefer a Quaife in the front. Almost certainly prefer a Quaife in the rear. The only time a helical will let you down is when you prop a wheel up in the air. Are you going to twist a GTR chassis enough for that in a drag race?

I hope I won’t twist the chassis. Cage should help stop any twist. 

I have heard many times that the rear diff is very strong.

thank you. 

Quaife at the front, hands down. The best mod you can do to these things. It should be mandatory if the engine comes out, it can’t go back in without one installed.

I have a GT pro 1.5 way in the rear and even set to soft it’s pretty cranky in servo’s and car parks. The OS Giken lsd oil, from memory 80w - 250 calmed it down alot.

A bit of character never hurt anyone. 👍

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Had a very long chat with Will from JHH. He explained in great detail the real world difference between the types of diffs. I’m going Nismo pro diffs both ends. I know they will be clunky and rough in tight slow turns but when you aim for an 8 at the quarter mile, you have forgo some comfort. I’m trying to put allot of power to the ground. Clutch diffs will be the best choice to do so. 

• Like 1

I’ll see how I go. Looking at allot of the videos, it’s not that bad. It’s like going to E85 and complaining about fuel economy. It’s all about smile per gallon. 

2 hours ago, khezz said:

Had a very long chat with Will from JHH. He explained in great detail the real world difference between the types of diffs. I’m going Nismo pro diffs both ends. I know they will be clunky and rough in tight slow turns but when you aim for an 8 at the quarter mile, you have forgo some comfort. I’m trying to put allot of power to the ground. Clutch diffs will be the best choice to do so. 

My mechanic has led me to the same result but for a very different use case. I will be going Nismo Pro front and rear when the diff rebuilds are done early in the new year

• Like 1

make sure you are sitting down when you go to buy the DSS shafts. I was when i got them 18 months ago and nearly fainted.

Shortly after that i seen speedtek were making a 300m billet shaft!

11 hours ago, khezz said:

I’ll see how I go. Looking at allot of the videos, it’s not that bad. It’s like going to E85 and complaining about fuel economy. It’s all about smile per gallon. 

The name of the game when it comes to stuff like E85 is thermal efficiency, not mpg. Of course mpg will be worse, the volumetric energy density of ethanol is less than gasoline. I'm willing to bet with most if not all turbo RBs going to E85 is a net benefit for thermal efficiency.

I wouldn't even think that it is inherently "thermal efficiency", so much as just being able to operate in a manner that is simply not possible with high octane petrol alone. I mean.....no-one knows what the thermal efficiency of the engine is operating at the boost or ignition advance (that you can run with ethanol is) when operating on petrol, because you only get 2s of operation then the engine blows up.

3 hours ago, 33GTRV said:

make sure you are sitting down when you go to buy the DSS shafts. I was when i got them 18 months ago and nearly fainted.

Shortly after that i seen speedtek were making a 300m billet shaft!

Oh I have the prices. Speedtek make only a part of assembly. Great product, I agree but you are still left with a lot of weak parts that are 30 years old. DSS make a replacement for the entire assembly. So everything is brand new and will handle anything I through at it. 

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Not sure how that's true. We're just talking in a tangential direction.

It’s all about “smile” per gallon. I was just making a comparison about making some sacrifices for overall enjoyment of the finished product. Slight humour. That’s all. 

• Like 1