SAU Community

Psr 3576 vs 3076 -rb25det

hello First time poster on any sort of forum so please be nice!

looking on advice/experiences people have had with pulsar turbos more specifically the 3576 or 3076, I’m building a r31 with a rb25det series 2 and wanting 300kw, I’m looking for a turbo that won’t come on until low to mid 3k rpm and full boost before or around 4K, only mods that may affect response that I have are top Mount mani and a FFP, thanks in advance :)

IMG_7687.jpeg

IMG_7793.jpeg

Edited by Liam2421

58 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

What fuel?

3076 with do 300kw easy and have good torque everywhere be on well around 3k. Friends went 350ish kW on e85 and aeroflow equivalent 3076 and big rear housing. 

Ah yes Just pump 98

yes I’ve been leaning towards 3076 just trying to figure what size rear housing will get me the response I’m after, im thinking .82? 

21 hours ago, Liam2421 said:

Ah yes Just pump 98

yes I’ve been leaning towards 3076 just trying to figure what size rear housing will get me the response I’m after, im thinking .82? 

the dyno graph I posted some time back, i think it was in the Hypergear thread? Was for a Garrett GTX3076Rg2 with a 0.82 rear housing on 98. I don't have the dyno PDF on this PC to post again sorry, but search and you should find it. It was 'around' the 300rwkw (PITS dyno apparently reads a little lower than some). I ran it with a 0.68 housing and yeah a bit small, the top end of the 0.82 outweighed the slight increase in responsiveness. I will do a sales plug lol, I have it for sale if you're in Aus and want it...only done about 2000 k's, almost brand new. I also have the Hypergear turbo I compared it to which made a little more power as per my post, but that turbo's done more like 40,000 k's, still good though. No use for either now as I've switched to the G30-660.

I will say, while the Hypergear made a little more, the Garrett felt like the real power would come running a little more boost than 21 psi, like it was just starting to come alive. Sounds cooler than the Hypergear too I've gotta say 😁, more whistle than a steam kettle on the boil.

• Like 1

I have a query, but why do you want to hold back the outright capability of the mechanical system?

Would it not be better to build a system that is responsive as possible, that meets your upper requirements, and then use electronic measures to control and manage it?

That way you're not left with a car that you might want a bit more response from but can't mechanically achieve it.

That's my frame of mind on all of this. Would mean you also have a more responsive and driveable car on the freeway etc without needing to drop gears.

Power on tap with mid throttle.

to also add, in my experience the Pulsar turbos are good, but were just a little short of the performance of a genuine Garrett...get what you pay for hey. I tried both a Pulsar G30-600 and then the Garrett G30-660, and that was my impression. Using the same 0.73 exhaust housing on both.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

I have a query, but why do you want to hold back the outright capability of the mechanical system?

Would it not be better to build a system that is responsive as possible, that meets your upper requirements, and then use electronic measures to control and manage it?

That way you're not left with a car that you might want a bit more response from but can't mechanically achieve it.

That's my frame of mind on all of this. Would mean you also have a more responsive and driveable car on the freeway etc without needing to drop gears.

Power on tap with mid throttle.

Personally I like when boost slowly rolls on and having boost come on later between 3-4K seems like a more usable power for street driving/ cornering at speed the power will be there, just a personal preference more then anything :) 

45 minutes ago, hardsteppa said:

the dyno graph I posted some time back, i think it was in the Hypergear thread? Was for a Garrett GTX3076Rg2 with a 0.82 rear housing on 98. I don't have the dyno PDF on this PC to post again sorry, but search and you should find it. It was 'around' the 300rwkw (PITS dyno apparently reads a little lower than some). I ran it with a 0.68 housing and yeah a bit small, the top end of the 0.82 outweighed the slight increase in responsiveness. I will do a sales plug lol, I have it for sale if you're in Aus and want it...only done about 2000 k's, almost brand new. I also have the Hypergear turbo I compared it to which made a little more power as per my post, but that turbo's done more like 40,000 k's, still good though. No use for either now as I've switched to the G30-660.

I will say, while the Hypergear made a little more, the Garrett felt like the real power would come running a little more boost than 21 psi, like it was just starting to come alive. Sounds cooler than the Hypergear too I've gotta say 😁, more whistle than a steam kettle on the boil.

Thanks for your advice! Yea I’ve read on a few forums that these turbos make really good noises! But when trying to find out when they boost vague and conflicting answers, I am in aus nsw yes, I have alot of money to spend elsewhere first(Haltech,25det gbox conversion) but can’t hurt to ask how much just in case the price is right :)

indeed..for the gearbox, if you get a 2ndhand RB25det box in excellent condition then great, but if not, don't waste your money rebuilding it. I did, and for what it cost me, would have been better to buy a new R34 box. Although it was a good learning experience to rebuild it, it was just not cost-effective and some parts are unavailable now so couldn't 'fully' rebuild it as I'd like to have done, eg 2nd and 3rd gears.

For the turbo-sale-ness, would do the Garrett for $1200 plus 30 postage, the Hypergear prob, $1000? For your build I would suggest the Garrett; I say this because from your build and going Haltech I'd say in the not so distant future you're going to want ' more" and the Garrett will likely give you more, as well as being as good as brand new...up to you of course.

I recommend the @hypergear . I run the hypergear ATR43ss2 ball bearing) and I’m at 320kw with full boost at 4000rpm (on pump 98). I also run in low mount configuration with wastegate welded to exhaust housing, so no need for a new exhaust manifold. Check my build thread for details.

the noise of the turbo is also real nice. You can definitely hear that spool!

Edited by R3N3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, hardsteppa said:

to also add, in my experience the Pulsar turbos are good, but were just a little short of the performance of a genuine Garrett...get what you pay for hey. I tried both a Pulsar G30-600 and then the Garrett G30-660, and that was my impression. Using the same 0.73 exhaust housing on both.

What are your thoughts/results with the 0.73 housing on the G30 660? I’m tossing up whether to get one of the GCG G30 770s for my RB25.

12 hours ago, hardsteppa said:

indeed..for the gearbox, if you get a 2ndhand RB25det box in excellent condition then great, but if not, don't waste your money rebuilding it. I did, and for what it cost me, would have been better to buy a new R34 box. Although it was a good learning experience to rebuild it, it was just not cost-effective and some parts are unavailable now so couldn't 'fully' rebuild it as I'd like to have done, eg 2nd and 3rd gears.

For the turbo-sale-ness, would do the Garrett for $1200 plus 30 postage, the Hypergear prob, $1000? For your build I would suggest the Garrett; I say this because from your build and going Haltech I'd say in the not so distant future you're going to want ' more" and the Garrett will likely give you more, as well as being as good as brand new...up to you of course.

Yes everything has gotten a lot more expensive since I last had a skyline it’s nuts for example last time I bought a 25det it cost me 1500$, I just payed double that a few weeks back for one  and that seemed to be on the cheaper side 😳I already have a 25det gearbox just have to buy clutch, modify tailshaft and buy a new speed sender etc which is all adding up quick! That is a good price I’ll have a think on it thankyou!

12 hours ago, R3N3 said:

I recommend the @hypergear . I run the hypergear ATR43ss2 ball bearing) and I’m at 320kw with full boost at 4000rpm (on pump 98). I also run in low mount configuration with wastegate welded to exhaust housing, so no need for a new exhaust manifold. Check my build thread for details.

the noise of the turbo is also real nice. You can definitely hear that spool!

At the expense of sounding like an idiot I apologise but how do I check out your build thread ? Sorry I’m still learning how to use sau 😂

Here's Rene's thread, very concise information.

Meanwhile here's mine, I run a Garrett GTX3576R Gen 2, on a 1.01 divided rear housing and make ok power. Just be a heads up, there's heaps of house renovation talk too (and some ok car info) lol... I suggest to start from like page 98 or so. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, smashmiek said:

What are your thoughts/results with the 0.73 housing on the G30 660? I’m tossing up whether to get one of the GCG G30 770s for my RB25.

to me it's the perfect size; the 0.63 or whatever it is, can't remember, is too small, so the .73 gives good spool but still enough top end flow. Couldn't say on a 770 though?.

0.73 can be a hard size to find though I think - the Pulsar G30-660 came with it, so I'm using it on the Garrett supercore.

• Thanks 1

I've included some data from current model ATR43SS-2 turbo. Its very different to the 2019 version mentioned by Hardsteppa, and makes a lot more power. On this R33 Rb25det, it sit on 25psi by 4K and 372rwkws, that was on pump 98 fuel externally gated, They do around the 400rwkws on E85 fuel. 

atr43ss2372rwkwsp98.thumb.jpg.185c2b13da55e619c409a3314a3217df.jpg

Turbo can sounds like a Jet, I've attached a short vid from a recent dyno tuning: