SAU Community

Leakdown Test confirms...Now do i rebuild or sell?

Basically.....num 3 was worst, leaking 50%... piston rings f**ucked.. so car will keep going,,, 'ok' for some time as long as i baby it untill i decide wat to do....

so wat im after is suggestions on whether to rebuild going all out (wasnt planning on doing this so soon but anyway) or sell car..... or try pick up engine/ halfcut when im in japan soon.

r32gtr

If the engine is not very healthy, then the car is worth virtually nothing. So not really any point selling it.

If it's broken a ring, you should stop driving it, otherwise you risk scoring the bore beyond repair.

Check out the advertisers in Zoom! / HPI for a straight up replacement engine. Maybe then you can rebuild this one a bit later, and as you can afford various bits for it.

ive gone the full rebuild, forged pistons ect, price will be under 6K with a 12 month guarantee. i was thinking of a second-hand low km engine, but you get virtually no warranty on those.

I saw a R33 GTR Series-II engine at Powerplay in Sydney here for 8.5k. Thats how much it cost me to rebuild mine after broken ringlands and scored bores. But I did opt for Forged pistons and getting the bottom end blueprinted and balanced. Sad thing is it didnt actually go any better when I got it back :D

daveR32gtr, I live in Hobart and I just had the exact problem except that Bo. 5, 6 were leaking 90%. I just got it back after it was rebuilt with forged piston, rods all the good stuff plus they fully reconditioned my motor! It cost me 8k but that was everything including a big clutch and fuel pump. I got Griffiths Automotive to do it and I was very happy with them knowing that it was done properly and right the first time! I probably gained an extra 20-40% power on what I had! And I am very impressed with the car now.

if you got any questions then just PM me.

cheers

daveR32gtr: I saw a modified R32 GTR engine at Just Jap in Sydney on the weekend that has HKS turbos, aftermarket cams and a fair bit more. I think they wanted $9kish for it.

Might be worth sending them an email

I probably gained an extra 20-40% power on what I had! And I am very impressed with the car now.

the rebuild would not have attained that though... power mods you must have done at the same time would have.

I'm also of the rebuild opinion. When I bought my car (admittedly only a GTST) I never planned on big HP or swapping turbos or anything. Long story short, No 6 ring lands went for thier own tour and left me with your choices - rebuild or 2nd hand motor. Figuring that the 2nd hand motor could end up with yet another rebuild, i went the rebuild the first time around, replaced some OEM stuff with some fancier stuff - forged pistons, balanced crank, etc, without going over the top. Car now runs sensationally. No problems and I love it to pieces. Don't sell.

(bump) hey thanx all for replys....will pm alan or any of u guys soon if i need to

blind elk....can u explain more wat u mean by scoring the bore...wat happens...why...how bad it is etc

(kinda have too drive cause only means of transport)

and thanx all for the heads up on engines....i did see that r34 gtr engine in trading post....am i wrong when saying seems too good 2 be true or is that standard $ cause its stock?

wish this i had the cash right now 2 burn then i wouldnt be stressin even tho the girl is gonna dump me if i start gettin in more debt with the car....

oh gtst  what do u mean rb30 bottom end...(i am a newbie sorry)  pretty sure i know... just wanna get feed back on what it is..whats involved is it worth it ...expensive etc ..ta

well there is a whole thread above called R33 RB30det conversion.

but the jist of it..

you get a NON turbo VL commodore rb30DE bottom end for $100.

spend some dosh (lets say $3K) to put in forged pistons and rods.

stick your RB26det head on it.

get a 4wd sump adapter from one of the guys on this forum.

once sorted, you basically have a rb26dett with a 3L bottom end.

when you have a day or 2 spare, have a read through the 108 pages of that thread above..

it is pretty much all interesting..