SAU Community

Stagea Brakes

Sydneykid

Got some Dixcel slotted disc rotor on order.. these will fit without any modification required won't they? I believe they were recommended for the S2 Stag. $350 a pair.

If you ordered the correct part they will fit no problems. Mine did.

I got WG(N)C34 RB25DET dixcel slotted rotors and wedsport revspec sc pads for WG(N)C34 RB25DET.

Got it all off yahoo auctions JP and sent over by a friend. Im not sure what local pads will fit. I believe this is the pad specification and OEM part numbers:

http://www.fujibrake.co.jp/pads/fblpad_e.php?fblno=AFP385S

Edited by GorGasm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanting to confirm (if anyone can...); a direct replacement/upgrade for *series 2 RS Four V* FRONT brakes is: R33 GTST, calipers, *disc rotors* and pads. NOT changing the hub. Is this correct? No rubbing on discs/no spacers needed?

Just wanting to confirm (if anyone can...); a direct replacement/upgrade for *series 2 RS Four V* FRONT brakes is: R33 GTST, calipers, *disc rotors* and pads. NOT changing the hub. Is this correct? No rubbing on discs/no spacers needed?

the R33 caplipers have a different sized bolts that bolt them to the hub, the S2 stagea ones are too big for the R33 brakes, from memory the stagea ones are M14 and the R33 M12.

to bolt the R33 GTST calipers to the S2 stagea hub you'll need to get some longer bolts that suit the R33 calipers, as the R33 bolts aren't long enough to get through the thicker stagea caliper mounting plate on the hub. you'll also need some sort of bush to help locate the M12 bolt in a 14mm hole, i am going to turn up a bush on the lathe when i finally get around to doing it, but i've heard of someone using a small piece of copper pipe.

i haven't looked into the rotor side of things yet, one thing i can tell you is the stagea rotor cant be used with the R33 calipers. i have some R33 GTST calipers in the garage and had a look one day at what was needed to put them on, i also have a S2 RS four V. and thinking of it now the only thing i didn't check was to see if the brake line fittings were compatible.

the R33 caplipers have a different sized bolts that bolt them to the hub, the S2 stagea ones are too big for the R33 brakes, from memory the stagea ones are M14 and the R33 M12.

to bolt the R33 GTST calipers to the S2 stagea hub you'll need to get some longer bolts that suit the R33 calipers, as the R33 bolts aren't long enough to get through the thicker stagea caliper mounting plate on the hub. you'll also need some sort of bush to help locate the M12 bolt in a 14mm hole, i am going to turn up a bush on the lathe when i finally get around to doing it, but i've heard of someone using a small piece of copper pipe.

i haven't looked into the rotor side of things yet, one thing i can tell you is the stagea rotor cant be used with the R33 calipers. i have some R33 GTST calipers in the garage and had a look one day at what was needed to put them on, i also have a S2 RS four V. and thinking of it now the only thing i didn't check was to see if the brake line fittings were compatible.

So,If anybody can answer my silly questionsand put some like in the darkness of my ignorance...(I got lost in this thread... :P )

How many pots in S2 brakes (front & rear)?Rotors diameter/thickness?

Can R33 gtst front callipers fit in a RSFOUR S2 Stagea?Do I need to replace rotors too?Brake lines?

What about rear ones? same questions

And... doing that could make any difference in stopping power??????????????(Rears look stronger,fronts the same?)

Thanks...

Where and how much are people getting S1 pads from? I've got the rears for $60 a set from Repco on special but I can only find the fronts at Bursons for $80. Is this a good price or can they be found for less money?
im having some difficulties in finding some pads and rotors for my stag.

no one seems to have them.

what are ppl using on their S1 RS4's?

I would like to share my recent experience with sourcing pads for an S1.

I started with this thread and quickly found the Bendix codes of 1398 for front and 1144 for rear. Then I realised that info was 3 years old so trawled through 14 pages to find some more recent info. I came across the comments about the 1398s apparently not being made anymore and the 1144s hard to find also! I started to worry and got a bit confused as to what everyone was using on their cars if this was really the case!? Fortunately it wasn't that bad. Here is what i found:

Bursons - no listing of the 1398 or the 1144 in their book. They called Bendix and said they could get me a set of DP1398 (Bendix Advance) not 1398BP, for $70. However, the 1144s were not available, and Bendix were going to make a set for me! $80, plus a wait of about 4 weeks.

Repco - (this is where it get's interesting) Again no book listing for 1398, but when I said 1398BP they found them on their system - but had none in any of their stores, would have to get from Bendix, cost $135! The 1144s they found OK on their system, and they actually had a set in another store - cost $98. I then mentioned the word 'B' word (Burson's) and this seemed to really fire up the Repco boy (a few mumbled 'F' words amongst the 'B' word). I mentioned $80 plus the RACV discount, and before I knew it they were offering the 1144s for $65! (There sure is some rivalry between these two stores). So, not quite $60 deal that FelixTRX got, but a damn site better than the $98 they offered up initially.

In summary DP1398 - Bursons, $70 (plus RACV member discount), DP1144 - Repco, $65. All up $135.

Incidentally, I also did a search on Yahoo Auctions and found that complete set of pads (front AND back) where selling for around 10,000yen (eg) WedsSport Revspec) - around A$150 with the current exchange rate - add to that the cost of postage and all of a sudden $135 for local pads for an import car seems pretty good!

Anyway, hope this post helps others source and find the best price for their pads. Maybe a few more regular posts, with price and availability, would help us all rest a bit better knowing that we can still continue to stop our wagon in the future!?

Again are stageas S2 one pot(rear),two pots (front) ,because I saw in this thread they are 2/4...but mine looks 1/2

as pic of the front P1010135.jpg

Now is it possible a direct swap with stags 2/4 pots? Or need to change everything to R33 GTST(?)???

Thanks QWK32, that's the sort of hands-on info I was hoping to find! Yes two large concerns seem to be 1) caliper bolts and 2) brake lines. If I have to compromise either of these with any backyard engineering, I don't think I will attempt a change.

I read somewhere here that 33GTST front brakes use 4-pot calipers. But I have seen a pad print of a 33GTST pad and it looked smaller to me than the S2 stagea pad. I'm not very experienced with many road car brakes, but the S2 front pads look like monsters to me. But bigger would be better; I'm only going on my experience of driving a stock stagea with just me in it. With about 40% more power now and more people/luggage etc. in the car I can really feel the difference in the brakes. Plus the front rotors are shuddering pretty bad and I'd like to replace (read: upgrade to at least slotted) rather than machine.

Edited by DaveB

Thanks QWK32, that's the sort of hands-on info I was hoping to find! Yes two large concerns seem to be 1) caliper bolts and 2) brake lines. If I have to compromise either of these with any backyard engineering, I don't think I will attempt a change.

I read somewhere here that 33GTST front brakes use 4-pot calipers. But I have seen a pad print of a 33GTST pad and it looked smaller to me than the S2 stagea pad. I'm not very experienced with many road car brakes, but the S2 front pads look like monsters to me. But bigger would be better; I'm only going on my experience of driving a stock stagea with just me in it. With about 40% more power now and more people/luggage etc. in the car I can really feel the difference in the brakes. Plus the front rotors are shuddering pretty bad and I'd like to replace (read: upgrade to at least slotted) rather than machine.

My normal driving style is not hard on the brakes - I tend to lift off early and try to go round corners at speed - so I saved myself a few hundred dollars by getting slotted but not heat treated rotors and if you drive like me they will be fine. But I got hooked into track days and they are not fine for that and I will have to change them for heat treated ones and may upgrade the size while I'm at it - so if you are the sort of person who goes flat out into every corner on the road and slams on the anchors hard each time or you plan to do some track days then heat treated are a must.

I don't do track days and I don't think I give the brakes too hard a time... but I can't find any slotted rotors for series 2. The R33 ones recommended in the first post of this thread for series 2 are *not* correct (as several of us have found out). R33 GTST front rotors machined down by 6mm gives the correct diameter and thickness but the wrong offset. If I could find a set of slotted rotors which actually fit then I think I would be content with the stock setup and those.

R33 GTSt brakes (both front and rear) are the same as the brakes that came out on the "regular" R32 GT-Rs (i.e., not the V-Spec or N1 versions of the R32, which instead came out with Brembos).

The brake pads *might* be around the same size on the Stagea's 2-spot fronts (I've never had a chance to compare them myself), but the extra surface area that is applied to the brake pads from having those extra two pistons in the R33 GTSt/R32 GT-R calipers is what gives you better, and more consistent braking.

Dave yes, the R33 GTST pads are smaller. about 80% of the size of the S2 front brake pads. but they are 4 pot calipers, so it more than makes up for them being a smaller pad.

if you are after a direct swap i've read on here that R34 GTT brakes are supposed to be a direct swap. apparently the bolt sizes to bolt the caliper to the hub are the same as the S2 stagea.

I have a series 2 (RSV) stagea and i am running R33GTST front discs and 4 piston callipers. i had to modify the disc covers and i am using a 5mm wheel spacer so that the rims wouldn't rub on the calliper. u could grind off the nissan emblem and they would clear but it could possibly be the mags i have on my car.

post-44842-1231676943_thumb.jpg

I don't do track days and I don't think I give the brakes too hard a time... but I can't find any slotted rotors for series 2. The R33 ones recommended in the first post of this thread for series 2 are *not* correct (as several of us have found out). R33 GTST front rotors machined down by 6mm gives the correct diameter and thickness but the wrong offset. If I could find a set of slotted rotors which actually fit then I think I would be content with the stock setup and those.
You can get rotors slotted - i,ve done it . The slots are straight which is not as "cool looking" as the curved ones but they do the same job. So if your rotors can stand being machined you could get them slotted. or if you buy new unslotted ones you could get slots put on them.

I have a series 2 (RSV) stagea and i am running R33GTST front discs and 4 piston callipers. i had to modify the disc covers and i am using a 5mm wheel spacer so that the rims wouldn't rub on the calliper. u could grind off the nissan emblem and they would clear but it could possibly be the mags i have on my car.

post-44842-1231676943_thumb.jpg

Are those callipers 4 pots? they look like mine (?)check my pic and tell me if I'm wrong ...the disks ,yes they look bigger...Doubts...Doubts...What to do?