SAU Community

Fuel Pump Thread - Pros & Cons

QRI05E

Fuel Pump Poll  

281 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok guys, I have been doing some extensive research on fuel pump upgrades and trying to compare all the options for an RB25DET aiming 250 - 270rw/kw. I have seen many mixed comments on most of the major brands and thought to make a decent thread strictly on fuel pumps. This hopefully will help others too.

1. Please Poll your preference.

2. Please list your engine and specs (inc Fuel Pump) as well as power output.

3. Please comment on your personal experiences with various fuel pumps including:

- Ease of installation

- Noise level in cabin

- Starting issues

- 1/4 tank syndrome

Regards,

Sarkis

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Bosch 044 (external/surge tank)

2) 369rwkw @ 24psi. Stock Fuel reg, Stock fuel lines. (Stock Nissan is all you need)

3) Originally was a Walbro in there, it was totally maxed out over 260rwkw/15psi. Absolute piece of junk and not worth the price i paid for it.

We now just use it as a lift pump to feed the Surge/044 and the Bosch has never missed a beat

Ease - Piece of cake with the external, as i didnt install it :yes:

Noise - Its not loud at all. People that say bosch pumps are loud, have not mounted them correctly

Starting issues - Nil.

1/4 tank - Nil, as i use a surge tank.

1) Bosch 040 - internal

2) 33 GTST, mild mods, std turbo, approx 200kw

3)

- Ease of installation: no problems with installation

- Noise level in cabin: no extra noise

- Starting issues: none at all

- 1/4 tank syndrome: none. Could run til empty light clicked on.

1) GTR pump - internal

2) 32 GTST, modified, aftermarket turbo, 260+kw

3)

- Ease of installation: N/A (already installed)

- Noise level in cabin: can hear on startup

- Starting issues: none

- 1/4 tank syndrome: none

1) Bosch 044 (external/surge tank)

2) around 280awkw

3) using the stock pump as a lift pump to feed the Surge/044 and the Bosch has never missed a beat, very strong.

Ease - Piece of cake with the external, heard its a pig to mount intank though.

Noise - I think its a little loud, and have used a proper bosch motorsport mount for it, i just turn the stereo up more!

Starting issues - None at all

1/4 tank - Nil, as i use a surge tank.

:/

1) GTR pump - internal - $150 2nd hand

2) 33 GTST, modified, stock turbo, 190rwkw

3)

- Ease of installation: chicken feed, did it myself (im a stupidhead with mechanical stuff)

- Noise level in cabin: only slight hum, if anything

- 1/4 tank syndrome: no such thing if installed properly (should apply to any pump)

1) GTR pump - internal

2) 31 GTS-R with RB20, modified, OEM fuel regulator, 280+rwkw

3)

- Ease of installation: no idea as it was installed as part of the sale of car.

- Noise level in cabin: can hear it humming noticably when priming before startup but once fired you cant hear it and I dont have a loud exhaust.

- 1/4 tank syndrome: none

1. Nismo (pressed null vote by accident, sooooooooooo sorry ;) )

2. RB25DET - 215rwkw nismo pump, gt2530 everything else stock

- Ease of installation - same as a stocker, had its own bracket on it, took old one out slid in new one, sits in the tank

- Noise level in cabin - can hear it whine with no radio on andjust ideling around, otherwise dont normally hear it

- Starting issues - none

- 1/4 tank syndrome - havent run it dry yet, and i dont plan too, but i have had the tank down to 10lt left and had no dramas

Edited by Dav

1) R33 GTR 2nd hand .

2) Std just Nizmo Exhaust , better cat , better panel filter .

3) Straightforward because R33GTS25T/R33GTR are interchangable , one out one in .

Things I noticed were the length of one of the slides was slightly different with the R33GTR bracket . The GTST pump sat right at the foot of the tank with its sock filter where the GTR pump sits a little higher and is connected to the sock filter with a short length of steel tube/pipe . If I had my time over again I'd have looked at fitting the GTR pump to the GTST bracket but not worth pulling it out again .

Noise wise it sounds like 3 wasps instead of one when it primes . Can easily hear the pump tone change off idle (closed throttle) taking off in first . My car has a very quiet Nizmo exhaust so its noticable but not to any great degree .

I chose this pump because they fall in (almost) the price was very good and was advised not to go overkill in this area . Provided I can get injectors large enough to make the power I'd like which is about 250kw at 1 bar boost and std fuel rail pressure it may just about be enough . I'd like to avoid pushing the fuel pressure up because it limits the volume the pump is capable of moving . The downside is that injectors cost more than fuel pressure regulators so either S15 or aftermarket ie Yellow Nippon Denso - ouch ...

Cheers A .

Edited by discopotato03

1) GTR fuel pump

2) 236rwkw @ 19psi. Stock Fuel reg, Stock fuel lines

3) Stock pump will only flow so much. Have also used a bosch 040 and found it to be a pain in the ass to install intank. also had cutting out issues going round corners with tank nearly empty

Ease - took me 25 min to swap it over and it operates like factory

Noise - when there is not nuch fuel and it is hot it sounds like you have a boot full of bees ;) from the outside of the car. I kinda like it.

Starting issues - Just like factory

1/4 tank - none. perfect!

NOTE: pump will not flow more than 250rwkw safely i have been told.

1. Nismo Fuel Pump,

2. 240rwkw at 16psi

3. can't get any easier, pull out old pump drop in new one.. comes with mounting bracket nothing else to buy or modify. also comes with relief valve as well.

Noise - a slight hum can be heard but only if you really listen for it, otherwise i don't even notice it.

staring issues - no problems at all

1/4 tank - pump comes with sock filter just like the original.. had the fuel light on , and the car was still running fine.

R32 GTR

044 external with std pump feeding it, using proper insulated bracket, using stock FPR and rail and lines, just sard 800 injectors,

currently seeing 416.9kw@all 4 on 24PSI

Noise: Way too much Noise, not sure if i have a faulty fuel pump, but it is soooo noisy, glad my exhaust over powers it once your moving,

very easy to install, hardest part was wiring it up.

no issues with start or 1/4 tank syndrome.

Ps only need a fuel pressure reg if your injectors are maxed out and you want that little bit more power without upgrading the injectors

Edited by DVS32R

Stock GTR pump used as a lift pump feeding a surge tank, running 2 Bosch 044 with -4 lines to a HKS twin entry fuel rail. Nismo fuel reg, and HKS 1000cc injectors. Using APEXi Power fc. Making 450 AWKW on shell V-Power Racing.

Just for the reference for those using GTR pumps. Stock intank GTR fuel pump, stock reg and injectors.

Car is making a tad over 300kw atw's, pump seems to holds up well under most circumstances, under hard acceleration it has been known to make some cavitating noises :P Wouldn't recommend pushing one too much further.

- Ease of installation - Stock Set-up

- Noise level in cabin - You hear it prime on start-up but never again, same as most cars....

- Starting issues - none

- 1/4 tank syndrome - No probs but i don't go below 1/4 tank...ever....

*on a side note* 044's can be relativley quiet if mounted properley. ie. good bracket with a think rubber insulator between pump and bracket and insulated between bracket and mounting surface....

Nismo fuel pump

Car is R32gtst, with just full exhaust.

Ease of installation was fantastic, it came as a complete kit.

You can hear it on startup, but it's pretty quiet from inside.

Had a bosch 040 before, a bit more of a hassle to install but it wasnt loud either. Also had a walbro, which was very quiet and pretty easy to install, but i heard alot of bad things about it.

At least with the nismo one i know i'm not gettitn a cheap copy, and it has a proven track record.