SAU Community

Whats Your Occupation

MELANIE

wow, i wanna know more about this, got any links etc?

Dont forget ou will be working most likely 12 hour shifts and be working on a rota of something like 3 weeks on 1 week off or something along those lines. If you are lucky you could get a 2 on 2 off.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, i wanna know more about this, got any links etc?

1600 after tax is what ive heard. if your really interested in this then google is your friend.

the bloke i talked to about it was doing 12 hr shifts for 10 days straight then had 5 or 6 days off. the mining company supplies accomodation etc for you as well.

I lived with a bloke up in North Queensland who worked out at the mines, brang home around $1600 in the hand a week, but its very long hours, very hard work and basically its a shitty lifestyle, but some people enjoy it, bloke was 22 and owned a XR8 Ute outright.

I have to agree, I have clients who work for mining companies and are given shares as part of their employment package. Remember that you have to go underground and there have been times when mines have collapsed like last year, those guys were lucky to get out, the ones that don't make it out may be entombed as it may not be possible to recover the bodies.

Its a very nomadic lifestyle some of my clients tell me they are going bush when they quit and just disappear, you have to be an outdoorsy type not exactly the life for a city slicker.

That said whilst you are young its a job where you can bring in big bucks but you need to know when to get out because it can age you quickly.

Do it for a few years but keep your mind geared towards the career you really want.

the bloke i talked to about it was doing 12 hr shifts for 10 days straight then had 5 or 6 days off.

I'm on a similar roster... my life revolves around 13 hour shifts, 7 days in a row, then 7 days off, then 7 nights in a row, then 7 days off... rinse and repeat.

That's as a public hospital doctor in Melbourne. (intensive care)

If you want to experience the constant thrill of feeling jetlagged, come do what i do! :(

(actually i quite enjoy it. but it can kick your social life in the a$$ sometimes.)

Dont forget ou will be working most likely 12 hour shifts and be working on a rota of something like 3 weeks on 1 week off or something along those lines. If you are lucky you could get a 2 on 2 off.

My gf's dad has some high role at the mines. He works 1 month on 1 month off. Tells me he sometimes works over 20 hours at a time. But hey they are obviously rich lol.

If your in maintenance trades in airforce you fix stuff and generally leave the killing to the army infantry, sas etc. So it's ok, believe you me.

I'm Infantry corps and love it. Depending on your unit and qualifications you can earn about $100k a year. Of course it comes with a lifestyle that you cannot escape. Although you get to do some really cool stuff that others tend to pay for, and others that you just can't buy. Personally my current job pays around $70k and only takes around 18months if you were to do it all in one go straight from civvy street. Also depending on your job you don't have to live in remote areas, although if you do you are paid an extra amount because of it.

i dream of getting $50k and not having to do much for it....

Welcome to my world :mad:

Each to their own about the Military.

But in the mines you can work shifts like 10 hours a day if not more, so be prepared for some really tough, and long work. But it can be rewarding when you give your hard earned cash to that man for his R32 GTR. :wave:

Trust me, working @ sea with the Navy isnt any different RE: shifts etc.

Can be 12-12x7 when at sea. Or worse.

My best mate has been in the Navy since he was 17.

I know the ins and outs of it pretty well. Its definately not for everyone though

Really, well the line forms behind me....i aint anywhere near that sort of money :)

lol sorry talk of money easily turns into a dick fest. Read Rich Dad, Poor Dad. I think the first few chapters had some intresting comments about the 9-5 person. I'm not promoting the book or it ideas...but it made comments about working as a company man and money. And from my experience, I tend to think what he said was true. Then again I also think he is a good salesman..

anyway i think its the first few chapters..read it so many years ago.

Im in sales and have a Skyline, from what ive seen, you can appreciate nice cars in any profession :)

One of my goals for the year is to learn to ride a bike properly (then get an R1 :) )

Great Topic of discussion Melanie,

I am a Business Manager with a Chemical Engineering background.

Working on and designing Patents in my field(Office Chair Manufacturing).

It is not where you start your journey but where you end that is important. :O

Most people think I am going through a mid-life crisis...I don't agree.

I had a sports car when I was 18....it took 20 years after I sold it to buy another.

Marriage....kids...life...business...partnerships...investments..I could not wait any more.

Could have been the old man driving the Ferrari...but bailed out and bought a gtr. earlier.. :O

mining isnt easy like ppl make it out ot be, you gotta work for your money, a lot of places make you work 13days straight then a wk off.

But they pay to fly you back to your family every time u need to go...also in the mines its around 45degrees , so u gotta be able to work in the heat.

its a good lifestyle for a single person, but if you married and have a family it will take its toll. I love IT , first year or two the money was average (35k) but as of last wk i chucked in my resignation and got a jump for a massive company :P and a lot better pay and conditions

I work for Toyota as a tree hugging Hippie (read: Environmental engineer)

Did consulting prior to that but wasn't too keen on the 50+ hours a week (even though I owned my first BMW -brand new- before turning 30) - turns out money isn't everything - who knew ;-)

Now I have a great job, 38 hrs per week + overtime (car industry is still on a federal award) and I even get great Karma ;-)

Now if only Toyota would build a decent Sports car that I could get as an employee lease vehicle (waiting on an Aurion ZR6 due in April ;-)