SAU Community

Nissan R34 Gtr Vs Nissan 370z

If you had the choice to pick one, which one will you get and why?

I'm starting to like the 370z and the power and torque figures seem reasonable. More modern and stylish compared to the R34 GTR.

Stock for Stock, I'm starting to opt for the 370z, my reasons:

More modern

Decent Power

Sold in Australia

While an R34 GTR:

Old interior

Lack of knowledge in R34 GTRs here in australia (mechanical wise)

Well AUS did sell the R32 GTR back in the early 90's and there are ppl out there with the knowledge of the RB26DETT, so thats not gona put off from buying a R34 GTR.

Interior wise, Im not fussed, but I can tell you, it looks a lot better then some cars out there when back in its time and I love the Multifunction Display Unit.

R34 GTR's are very easy to take advantage of it power. As you know a full exhaust, panel / pod filter upgrades, an extra few Psi with a boost controller and a tune, you'd be ahead of afew cars.

Price wise, R34 GTR's are lowering. I have seen them priced from about $50 - $60 Thousand. A new 350Z is still around $60 - $75 Thousand.

I believe the 370z has more power but the '34 will be quicker in a straight line and once you reach corners.

Also twhile the 370z is a touch lighter (1466 compared to 1540, 84kgs difference) but the '34s power is vastly underrated from factory. Plus who keeps one standard?

In terms of value per dollar the R34 GTR wins hands down - particularly now they are getting cheaper.

In terms of outright power? Who knows until we strap the two cars down on a dyno one after the other and compare. I doubt theres much in it.

The R34 is (in my opinion) better looking aesthetically and it has AWD and more street cred than you can poke a stick at.

I would go the R34 GTR.

I believe the 370z has more power but the '34 will be quicker in a straight line and once you reach corners.

Straight line meaning only if you launch the GTR at 7000rpm, of course? The 370Z should have the legs and has the better chassis, I reckon it would wander away from the R34 around corners.

+ the Old School Z's look better.

Then put a RB26DETT in :(

post-46584-1232673296_thumb.jpg

post-46584-1232673336_thumb.jpg

awesome post, loving those cars!

only way to tell is to test drive each, no way of knowing how you will feel without sitting in the drivers seat

looks wise I'm not sure about the new 370Z... its almost like they are trying too hard now but I will reserve judgment until I see one in the flesh

Yeah logic dictates the 370z but when you at the lights and an r34 gtr vspec pulls up next to you, you will feel hopeless, inadequate and you will have to kill yourself.

Awesome post!! Arf arf!!

Straight line meaning only if you launch the GTR at 7000rpm, of course? The 370Z should have the legs and has the better chassis, I reckon it would wander away from the R34 around corners.

I take it you have not driven an R34 GTR around corners then.

I am sure the 370Z is a great car. But really, it is not in the same class as the R34 GTR. It may have a better weight distribution, but that is not enough to make a significant difference.

I am fortunate enough to own a car that magazine articles, books, TV shows and everyone on the street tell me is one of the best street cars of all time. With a few mods and a mild tune, I have 375 hp at the wheels. I have lapped our local circuit a lot faster than I deserve to and every day when I park it, I look back in wonder that I actually own this beast.

Yes, a 370Z would be nice. But compared to an R34 GTR .... .....

you will feel hopeless, inadequate and you will have to kill yourself.

Cheers. :P

Has anyone driven a 370z and a R34 GTR? It's no use comparing the two if someone hasn't driven both because we only know half the story.

FWIW, I've only driven the R34 and while it was a very nice car it wasn't as great as I would have expected - but it was still good enough to make me want to own one in the future.

Put it this way.....Jeremy Clarkson (few years ago) named the r34 gtr as the 8th greatest car of all time

"So exciting, even when its in a carwash" -JC

Drove the new 350z and it was nowhere near as good as the gtr, no bias.

My friends have a recording of me driving my gtr, beating on my gearstick till redline and the look on my face is similar to when im about to orgasm.

They benchmarked the new 370z against the cayman s according to all the motor journos, and the new 3.7L is a good bit of kit.

I'm seriously considering a 370, but not right away, if the 350z is anything to go by there will be newer models with more power and better features down the track.

The r34 GTR is one of my all time favourite cars, but is a dinosaur now, although true it is a lot better than comparable cars of the same vintage.

I still have my reservations on the 370z styling but it's grown on me and I'm sure once I see it in person it will be better, I wasn't entirely sold on the v36 until I hopped in one and took it for a spin

Edited by Yo-Yo