SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Just got word, my retune @20 pound got 417hp atw with the SS2 on e85

Up from 370hp atw with previous 16 pound tune

(Hub dyno)

Will get the graph up later today.

Edited by jay-rod

Ok so the 28SS-2 turbine with the 64mm comp wheel sounds about 99% exactly what i'm after, just wonder what if any effect the 11 blade turbine does to flow and inertia V the 9 blade with slotting two extra blades in the same space

I just sold the -7s so would this be something you can supply as a complete unit in -5 housings or would i need to source the housings

Late to the party,but re the return flow cooler turbos vs non return.

When people say it hasnt affected them.

Is it just because the hypergear stuff is being dynoed and dynoed on specific motors and is targeted for a specific purpose that the resulting pressure drop shifted the compressor out of the sweet spot of the map.

Hes then reworked it to shift it back taking into account that.

Whereas a aftermarket turbo built not for a specific purpose has a different map

And by chance /luck or design is less affected about being put on a different spot on its compressor map

Cheers

Darren

Case in point being the gtx wheels work at highpressure ratios

Maybe a gtx3076 can take the hit of being shifted across the map and the only

Result is a higher intake air temp but not enough to skew the numbers to

Much

Cheers

Darren

Late to the party,but re the return flow cooler turbos vs non return.

When people say it hasnt affected them.

Is it just because the hypergear stuff is being dynoed and dynoed on specific motors and is targeted for a specific purpose that the resulting pressure drop shifted the compressor out of the sweet spot of the map.

Hes then reworked it to shift it back taking into account that.

Whereas a aftermarket turbo built not for a specific purpose has a different map

And by chance /luck or design is less affected about being put on a different spot on its compressor map

Cheers

Darren

I think the high kilometer Neo engine with more chamber squish and plenty of built up carbon deposits is causing the det, it probably has little to do with the cooler which is likely working as hard as it can.

The whole 'lets guess a compressor design and trial it' has to have the odd failure rate too. You are probably correct that the original turbo is out of efficiency for this particular setup.

Other than that, the new turbo making 300wkw on 98 isn't a bad thing, most would be happy with that result, even using a more expensive GT3076. If it were me I would have left the Blitz return flow seeing most of his customers will be wanting to run it anyway. There aren't many other off the shelf cooler options for the 34, not without hacking holes at least.

The ATR43G4 SAT has been trailed on two cars, and from previous reading it is holding 27psi perfect flat before the cooler, its not a case of a compressor losing efficiency at high shaft speed that case boost tapering. Getting that volume of air into the engine is the problem.

Now, the 600x300x100mm cooler it now fitted and I have picked up 3psi pushing it from 292rwkws to 313rwkws, got better response and allow one degree of extra timing. But there is still a 5psi drop.

The cooler it self is also been used on my GTR, that shown no boost drop across the core. The problem will be either in all the bents of the pipings or if there is a leak or issue on the inlet manifold of the car.

Over 2G has been spent in to investigation, and this has never been experienced before on any of my other cars. None further turbocharger evaluations could be conducted, so I'm not stopping till its sorted. I'll weld vacuum nipples at different bents of the cooler piping and monitor drops from individual points.

The problem will be either in all the bents of the pipings or if there is a leak or issue on the inlet manifold of the car.

Forget the piping, it's fine for much more. Surely you pressure tested the intake to check for leaks? The plenum gaskets are renowned for leaking between the halves when the engine gets hot...

What's the exhaust like? Does it run a cat? Is one of the mufflers restricted?

The stock BOV leaks badly at that boost. There is a few PSI gained from swapping to a Turbosmart Kompact which would lower the shaft speed.

Cooler change:

P98 fuel. Blue lines are with blitz cooler, The red/gold lines are from new cooler. Nothing has been changed apart from the cooler. Its hitting 200rwkws @ 4000RPM as well. Pretty good to drive. I will do a pressure test and see what comes up.

atr45sat311rwkwnewcooler.jpg

atr45sat311rwkwnewcoolerboost.jpg

I also got a print of John reco's R33, thats the first time I had a proper look at his result. It is running our standard 21U high flow on E85 fuel, and I'm amazed of how responsive it is.

reco21uhf310rwkwe85.jpgreco21uhf310rwkwe85boost.jpg

• Like 1

Catching up with the return flow cooler topic. Theoretically vacuum pressure at one point of exit is identical to all points of exit. I'm leaning towards manifold or gasket leaks and etc. On the same time your big cooler worked well. 1psi = 20kws :blink: can't wait to see what it does at 24psi. :D