SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Yes can be done. I have done a evaluation few years ago, the SL2 turbine wheel is made for external gating. It didn't work as well as the SS2 or the OP6 high flow in terms of boost control and peek power.

And how you asume that the new SS2 will be compared to the OP6 in terms of torque and response. The way i look at it, it seems that the OP6 delivers more torque then a old ss2 and about the same power, if i got it right ;):)

Let's say that you have the throttle 1/3 open and you're trying to maintain some boost pressure in the manifold (with your right foot) that is somewhat lower than the maximum boost that your boost control setup is able to give you.

Let's now consider that the signal driving the wastegate is from that (low pressure) intake manifold and therefore the wastegate is going to be clamped shut. This is exactly what the boost control system is expected to do when confronted with lower than target pressure on the signal line. So now the turbo is going to be spooling hard, driving the pressure in the pipework to some really high pressure, which is being dropped across the throttle. "So what?" you might say. Well, what if you drive the compressor across the surge line? Will that be fun? What if you pop an intercooler hose off a pipe (that you wouldn't have done if it wasn't seeing 35 psi inside)?

Etc etc. There are a number of good reasons for not sourcing the actuation signal from the plenum.

• Like 2

That's the point, you want to work the turbo to give you the flat boost or targeted amount thus post intercooler but pre throttle is more desirable for a pressure source

No the number of psi going to the wastegate is irrelevant if you have a boost controller (Link controlled Mac valve in my case). The point of putting it on the compressor housing is to have quick response.

That's the point, you want to work the turbo to give you the flat boost or targeted amount thus post intercooler but pre throttle is more desirable for a pressure source

No the number of psi going to the wastegate is irrelevant if you have a boost controller (Link controlled Mac valve in my case). The point of putting it on the compressor housing is to have quick respon

I have mine like Johnny said, in the charge pipe like factory R33 has it and I found much better boost control with my AVCR. I'll get my Haltech to do it one day

one last question here, just trying to figure out which turbo I'd like to purchase. Someone sell me either one on their experiences

Pros and Cons

Rough power figures for these two turbos

ATR45 vs ATR433SS3

Edit: I should add I'd like to see 300kw+ on 98octane

Edited by thommo458

one last question here, just trying to figure out which turbo I'd like to purchase. Someone sell me either one on their experiences

Pros and Cons

Rough power figures for these two turbos

ATR45 vs ATR433SS3

Edit: I should add I'd like to see 300kw+ on 98octane

I'm making 290 with the ATR45 - Restriction is said to be cooler. I believe the ATR45 will push well past the 300s and makes great torque. Check out my build thread for details.Should give you plenty of room to go more than 300 but it's quite laggy on 98 but once it comes on it's nuts. I believe the 43 should be less laggy but have less headroom

Edited by kingtube69

the SS3 is made for external gating. for internally gated and 300rwkws+ bolton, The atr45SAT is a better turbo. Alternatively for 260~300rwkws region, you can use our ATR43SS2 for better response.