SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

My result

Almost identical to mine, except you made 7-8hp more with 3psi less boost

I made 318rwhp (237 odd rwkw) on 20psi. On a dyno dynamics too.

Did the tuner do any runs on 20psi?

Is it the internal gate? if so which actuator did you get? Cheers.

Edited by LANDSCRIBBLE

This might be off skyline topics but any one know any good ecus or perferred plugin ecus or flash software that I can run with a VW Golf GTI 2L turbo DSG motor? Got a offer to develop bigger bolton turbo for that car but its totally new to me. cheers.

Bluefin. Similar to the cobb port on R35s

Gold Coast.

I thought yours was making 300rwkw but was just lazy without VCT or something?

I made 392.8rwhp on a hub dyno with correction enabled. On a Dyno Dynamics roller dyno I made 318rwhp@18psi, so very similar to you and Luke.

Looks fairly consistent with all the other results from the turbo (that are not a Hypergear test result)

Yes, unfortunately it's looking that way...

I always thought that the ATR43 G3 was suposed to be good for around the 280+rwkw mark on 20psi for r33/r34 running PULP?

Kasko, let me know how you go with you're turbo install!

Edited by Mitcho_7

The new FNT version should be more than that too, around 300rwkw. Stao made 320rwkw@20psi.

Will see how my car goes when it gets retuned without the ECU errors sometime this month, after the Plazmaman, HKS fuel rail, and ID1000's go on. Hopefully getting that done this weekend so will see where things are at next week, hopefully a retune will be sooner rather than later.

Am I the only one who saw that boost maxed at 17psi and bled off to 15psi? Definitely something there, holding you back...look how fast power climbs up and dies in the ass as the boost bleeds off.

Have my car booked in with Racepace on Monday/Tuesday...I look forward to bringing you all the results of my experimental, SS1PU high flow :D

Am I the only one who saw that boost maxed at 17psi and bled off to 15psi? Definitely something there, holding you back...look how fast power climbs up and dies in the ass as the boost bleeds off.

Have my car booked in with Racepace on Monday/Tuesday...I look forward to bringing you all the results of my experimental, SS1PU high flow :D

I noticed that aswell.. Goodluck with the experiment!

Its pretty hard to sort as every car is pretty unique in its own way of modification.

The turbocharger it self is exactly the same as they all milled through the same machine to the same specifications on the same programe. Reason for diversity in power level that ranges from 320rwkws to 201rwkws can only depend other supporting mods, engine condition and the tune.

I found most consumers whom purchases Bolton turbos are likely to purchase bolton street legal or cop friendly parts, then modify their cars that way, such setup will not produce power. Plus some tuners not been able to tune for its best, per back to back result comparison from tunning shown in previous pages.

The G3 in similar setup as test car on factory engine produces around 280~300rwkws at 19~20psi as norm and there are plenty of people getting that. For people whom resulted below average, compare your car's mods based on:

Intake <== Same diameter as inlet of turbo

Exhaust <== Bell mouth minimum3 inch turbo back straight through

Intercooler <== No return flows (specially CN return flows), Use quality 600x300x75mm core.

Engine <== Even compression within OEM Specifications, Correct initial timing.

Tune

To the test car and this thread has plenty of information on caused affects from various parts.

Obviously people don't post unless they need assistance. The problem solving information are very helpful for other modifiers.

Need high pressure actuator to hold boost straight. This is result of swaping for a soft 14psi actuator, the effects were has been told before the downgrade.

My car has had the intake side sorted out with proper 3 inch to the pod. I'm going back to get it tuned soon. My compression is good (155), exhaust is good (will do a dropped exhaust run), my intercooler is a nice big genuine hybrid cooler. Fingers crossed.

Looks fairly consistent with all the other results from the turbo (that are not a Hypergear test result)

I run the PU high flow, its just a G3 with factory comp housing and that pulled 287rwkws on 19psi. Simon I remember you were pulling 260rwkws with same turbo on a RB20det? I'm sure it can make the power, just need to sort out every thing else, Stao's already advised parts to get and what not to get.

I spoke at length with Tao about this after collecting the car and he believes that the intercooler is the main thing holding power back.

I specifically asked my tuner if this was the cause and he doesn't think so. In fact he seemed pretty certain that this was around the best result that I could get with 98 fuel on this setup, despite me raising these other G3 results on the forums. I haven't got any inlet temp readings so can't confirm either way.

What he did say is he had to spend the better part of 8 hours tuning, because initially the timing was normal, but after 2/3rds the way through the power run the car would ping, so he removed two degrees of timing & added fuel at that part. Then run again and the car would ping at a different point in the rev range. Remove timing etc again. Then because the timing was so retarded the coils were being put under much more strain be trying to fire at a much closer highest point of pressure ATDC, making the car was misfire. He then re-gapped the plugs and try again. Then up the boost and start seeing ping/misfire all over again. The car did not sound as though it was particularly easy to tune, but I don't know how hard or easy other G3 equipped cars have been to tune.

My tuner's opinion is that I can reach 300kw probably, but only with e85 being that it is much more resistant to knock, and he feels that the way the car responded with the amount of timing he was adding and removing, the car can take another 6 degrees of timing at least with e85.

Supporting mods:

3 Inch metal intake same width all the way

z32 afm

Nismo 740cc injectors

3 inch exhaust with good quality 100 cell cat,

Turbo XS split dump pipe with WG divider plate removed

Just jap turnflow cooler

Walbro pump

I was aware of the fact that the softer actuator would bleed a bit up top, and I'm fine with that, most of the results I've seen have been doing that if they're under 20 psi.

I do not want to run over 20 psi, and I instructed the shop that I had chosen 18psi as my target. So when the turbo was being run up on the dyno 1st time they noticed the boost still climbing at 23 they stopped and took it off and called me to confirm. They bench tested it and found it started to move at 29 psi which Stao tells me is the required spring pressure to get around having any dip at high rpm in boost, however since the tuner directly saw it still climbing at 22-23 I told them not to use this because it was too far above my target (daily driver).

I then organised with Stao to have him send a 14psi actuator which I originally wanted and his new rear housing flange plate design which I thought could go on at the same time. Unfortunately the actuator assembly arrived was sent in 2 parts, the actuator itself sent first, and the flange plate and gold thread that the actuator rod screws into sent second. Since my car was going on 4 weeks in the shop they had to get it finished & couldn't wait for the 2nd part to arrive, so they bolted up a 14psi actuator from MTQ and began tuning with that.

So now I am considering whether to change to Stao's new rear flange plate myself (& what impact that might have on my tune since I can't afford any more tuning now). Then I just have to send back an unused flange plate and two unused actuators to Tao for the refund and go on my way to figure out the e85 conundrum, since more forum reading makes me think the Walbro won't do it happily.

The life of modifying cars. :)

Supporting mods:

3 Inch metal intake same width all the way

z32 afm

Nismo 740cc injectors

3 inch exhaust with good quality 100 cell cat,

Turbo XS split dump pipe with WG divider plate removed

Just jap turnflow cooler

Walbro pump

is the z32 in the cooler pipe or before the turbo out of curiosity?

The new FNT version should be more than that too, around 300rwkw. Stao made 320rwkw@20psi.

Will see how my car goes when it gets retuned without the ECU errors sometime this month, after the Plazmaman, HKS fuel rail, and ID1000's go on. Hopefully getting that done this weekend so will see where things are at next week, hopefully a retune will be sooner rather than later.

you going down the E85 path now Han?