SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Probs a stupid question.....

But what is the price differance between a Garrett 3076R to buy and the equivilant Hypergear item say SLSS2 or SS2 which seems about the same response and kws etc??

I would go a Hypergear over my old 3076 the power delivery of the 3076 on 98 was way to linear but taos magic slss2 was so much more fun to drive with its aggressive delivery didn't notice any difference in lag and that's both on a rb25 with stock manifold internal gate and a return flow cooler obviously with other support mods

Hypergear ftw

Also there is a update on all R33 and R34 turbocharger high flow profiles. I'll be going up in one size up from the standard high flow. should increase power by about 10%.

front.JPG

rear.JPG

Also ATR43SS3 VNT turbocharger is built. This time the lever is working 100% with the actuator it can be activated with about 5 psi of boost under load. I should've taken a photo before installation, but I guess I'm too keen to trail it on road. Feels pretty responsive, hopefully be hitting close to 400rwkws with full boost around 3500rpms.

ss3oncars.jpg

Is there are actually a break down page showing all the HG varients? The names make absolutely no sense in regards to power or features - that I can tell, and there isn't a place I have found which allows someone to look at and get an indicator of whether something is ball bearing, journal bearing, billet, cast, bolton or universal etc etc... just random names that someone has to follow this thread daily to understand. SLSS2 vs SS2, etc - PU? FNT? what does it mean?

Maybe the first post in the thread could be updated as the varients change so one can go back there and see what is currently on offer? Apologies if there is something like that somewhere I haven't looked, but amongst other things I'd be much more likely to recommend HG turbos to people if I could make sense of the naming and specs - I don't really have the time to follow all the posts as new names and new specs roll out.

Cheers

They are coded in pretty simple terms, I guess I should have made it more transparent.

ATR: Just a name standing for "Advanced turbo research"

followed by: "Turbine pattern" "Type of comp wheel" "HP rating" "Turbine type" "Bearing type"

"25": .64 and smaller T2x turbine housings

"28": T2x SR20det turbine ended turbochargers

"43": T3x universal turbine ended turbochargers

"G" Cast compressor wheels:

G1: 320HP

G2: 450HP

G3: 500HP

G4: 600HP

"SS" Billet compressor wheels:

SS1: 350HP

SS1.5: 400HP

SS1PU: 470HP

SS2: 500HP

SS3: 550HP
SS4: 630HP
Like the SS2.5 high flow: SS2 500HP compressor working with a Larger then usual (G4) turbine wheel made to extract power from tinny turbine housings like the 21Us.
"": Usually they are built in journal bearings
"BB": Steel Roller bearing
"CBB": Ceramic roller bearing
FNTA: Fixed turbine nozzle with wide opening angle (More power, less response)
FNTB: Fixed turbine nozzle with narrow opening angle (Better response, less power)
VNT: moving turbine nozzles.
Eg:
ATR43SS3BB.82VNT
T3x based turbocharger
Billet wheeled compressor in 550HP range
Steel roller bearing
.82 turbine housing
Moving turbine nozzles.
And
ATR43G3 .82b
T3x based turbocharger

Cast compressor wheeled in 500HP range

Journal bearing

.82 turbine housing with narrow opening angle

High flow codes:

Standard basic high flow.

"PU": Powered up. including larger .82B turbine housing and stronger actuator

"SS": Billet compressor wheeled high flow profile.

Eg:

R33 PU high flow. Means a customized 500HP high flow that has an .82 type B turbine housing with a stronger actuator.

Recently introduced turbochargers: ATRSLxxx

SL: L2 turbine ended turbochargers followed by volume size: 8cm, 10cm, 12cm

20.5 / 25.5G: Redeveloped billet compressors based on the original wheel

SLSS2: L2 turbine ended turbocharger using SS2 compressor front end.

FNT, VNT, CBB and BB extensions can also be added to ATR"SL" category if they've been built that way.

They are coded in pretty simple terms, I guess I should have made it more transparent.

ATR: Just a name standing for "Advanced turbo research"

followed by: "Turbine pattern" "Type of comp wheel" "HP rating" "Turbine type" "Bearing type"

"25": .64 and smaller T2x turbine housings

"28": T2x SR20det turbine ended turbochargers

"43": T3x universal turbine ended turbochargers

"G" Cast compressor wheels:

G1: 320HP

G2: 450HP

G3: 500HP

G4: 600HP

"SS" Billet compressor wheels:

SS1: 350HP

SS1.5: 400HP

SS1PU: 470HP

SS2: 500HP

SS3: 550HP
SS4: 630HP
Like the SS2.5 high flow: SS2 500HP compressor working with a Larger then usual (G4) turbine wheel made to extract power from tinny turbine housings like the 21Us.
"": Usually they are built in journal bearings
"BB": Steel Roller bearing
"CBB": Ceramic roller bearing
FNTA: Fixed turbine nozzle with wide opening angle (More power, less response)
FNTB: Fixed turbine nozzle with narrow opening angle (Better response, less power)
VNT: moving turbine nozzles.
Eg:
ATR43SS3BB.82VNT
T3x based turbocharger
Billet wheeled compressor in 550HP range
Steel roller bearing
.82 turbine housing
Moving turbine nozzles.
And
ATR43G3 .82b
T3x based turbocharger

Cast compressor wheeled in 500HP range

Journal bearing

.82 turbine housing with narrow opening angle

High flow codes:

Standard basic high flow.

"PU": Powered up. including larger .82B turbine housing and stronger actuator

"SS": Billet compressor wheeled high flow profile.

Eg:

R33 PU high flow. Means a customized 500HP high flow that has an .82 type B turbine housing with a stronger actuator.

Recently introduced turbochargers: ATRSLxxx

SL: L2 turbine ended turbochargers followed by volume size: 8cm, 10cm, 12cm

20.5 / 25.5G: Redeveloped billet compressors based on the original wheel

SLSS2: L2 turbine ended turbocharger using SS2 compressor front end.

FNT, VNT, CBB and BB extensions can also be added to ATR"SL" category if they've been built that way.

Awesome, thanks for the response - that makes things a lot clearer and probably handy to have around.

I could see that being rearranged into a tabular form. Frame types down the left side, features (FNTA, FNTB, BB etc) across the top. Power expectations and response information contained in the various intersections in the table where turbos exist (because there will no doubt be some empty cells). You could colour code it so that external gate expectations were different from internal gate, etc etc.

Also there is a update on all R33 and R34 turbocharger high flow profiles. I'll be going up in one size up from the standard high flow. should increase power by about 10%.

front.JPG

rear.JPG

That looks awfully familiar especially with the two studs, I dont suppose it is mine? :whistling:

Got mine on Monday which was good, just need to bolt it all back together now.

i have to admit, i like your turbos..but the naming drives me crazy and doesn;t make much sense unless you look at this thread

It makes it very hard to sell as a product

cheers

darren

I agree. I don't run one of your turbo's, but judging by the feedback on here I know you are putting out some great products with fantastic service to match, not to mention you are obviously putting a lot of R&D into your products. I do think however it would be worth considering coming up with naming convention that is broken up into distinct series and generations to make it clearer what your are offering. I have always been a bit confused :P Maybe its just me!

I think part of the issue is the constant development in his forever improving line of turbos.

But I do agree.. a simple size based model code would make things a lot easier, with one to two character designation for identifying variants.

ie 6074-SS for the SS2, and 6076-G3 for a ATR43-G3.

That way sizes are known by the model code and we can tell if the the turbo is a cast or billet item. An advance in technology should just supersede the older model.

Just my view point.

Some SS3 VNT update. The system worked perfectly and I was been able to control nozzle movement through an ordinary boost controller.

It made 394rwkws on 23psi of boost so far

I must address this result was archived by a large size turbocharger using stock cams and stock cam gears and boost. It is not enhanced through larger cams or cam gears.

ss3power.jpg

ss3boost.jpgAs shown, the boost behavior in reference to degrees of freedom given by the actuator controlling the VNT nozzles. The whole boost curve shifts to the left as the nozzles stayed in the deactivation position for longer. How ever by doing so it also made the exhaust gas temperature very hot.

As we were adjusting the boost controller for dyno runs the car experienced some ignition problems so we had to call it a day. It will go back for any other run once I have it rectified.