SAU Community

Aug Deca - Wrap Up

R31Nismoid

Long Wang bites again.

It was on the sweeper.

I don't mean to sound insensitive coz I know what it's like to smash a car on the track, but did anyone check if the pole was ok? If it was damaged I should contact Powercor coz they may want to inspect it.

I work for Powercor and they often find that poles fail after a car crash although this one wasn't big.

Probably not a problem, just asking.

As Ryan said no damage to the pole. Hit it at under 20kmp/h I'd guess.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time you're at the skidpan try and change into 1st while the car is sliding. I do it all the time around cones.

Grab the handbrake and as the rear wheels are not spinning fast selecting 1st gear is easy. Don't need to force it.

1st is the only way to go coming out of those cones,

Takes a bit of practice as everything is happening pretty fast but once you get it right it makes skidpan so much more fun.

As for the pole, go check it out Russ, your already in Shepp :P

Bigbird is putting together photos for the meeting tonight. hopefully we can get the damn thing to play...

As for the day itself what did people prefer for the morning layout? obviously you need to have done more than 1 deca to comment :P It wont be too long until we are organising the next deca so we need to decide what to do... there seems to be good reports coming in about the new layout but would you prefer to do it the old way or new way next time??? Also, how did people find the maps? easy? hard?

The Morning Layout worked really well, yeh i think we need to add another 100% run in for mini and long wang if not the pan aswell.

I found the morning skidpan layout alot of fun and easy to follow.

The afternoon one i was honestly swaring and cursing, especially when i stopped, looked at the map and though wtf, and saw the person i was up against do the SAME thing.

The last skid pan layout was better as it was easier to navigate by yourself, but i probly made a mistake

personally i'd put some kind of CAP on cones, i.e each skid pan event should have 5-6 cones and how hard would it be to get numbered poles with like golf flags on top ? turn 1 - turn 6 ?

just a thought

p.s go milk bread cookies and cream !

My one complaint about DECA was the unnecessarily high RPM launches some people made during the timed events...nothing but wheelspin for 15 metres = shit launch! And people sitting on the limiter on the skidpan, seemingly forgetting they have a clutch and a gearbox

Are you serious >>????

Deca is a pure fun day , for people to test what there cars can do, find out what does and doesnt work all in a LEGAL environment.

I personly am a fan of a lil limiter, and smoky take offs at Decas,

Next time you're at the skidpan try and change into 1st while the car is sliding. I do it all the time around cones.

Grab the handbrake and as the rear wheels are not spinning fast selecting 1st gear is easy. Don't need to force it.

SO SO True , this is the only way to get around the cones, It does take a lot of practice and u will miss 1st a number of times but works a treat once mastered.

personally i'd put some kind of CAP on cones, i.e each skid pan event should have 5-6 cones and how hard would it be to get numbered poles with like golf flags on top ? turn 1 - turn 6 ?

I thought these maps wernt tooo bad, It takes practice to memorise maps, the more you do the better you get,

I struggled when I did my 1st couple of decas.

Just spend an extra 5 mins studying each map before you go out and watch the ppl in front of you and pick where they got it wrong if they mess up

Seems that there was much excitement that I have missed out on this DECA! Ive definately missed out badly! Really awesome to see a nice selection of different cars!!

Very jealous of the nightlife photos...!

Good work to everyone who helped out on the day...seems you guys did a great job from what ive read!

LOL @ the anti-limiter comment...why not hit it a few times and make some smoke if you want to?????...youre actually ALLOWED to do that...DECA is about fun you know. Plus not everyone has a responsive engine + turbo combination!

Im thinking maybe less attention to rev limiters and much more attention to driver limits. It seems that some are exceeding their limits! and not for the first time. No need to show off and/or prove yourself, take it easy and build up to speed and fast times, geez from what I remember it was pretty hard to hit stuff at DECA. Its not that hard to stay on the tarmac. Just thought id mention this as I really enjoy DECAs, id hate for it to be canned because of someones irresponsible driving, id hate for a more serious accident to happen in future, so maybe more focus here.

Yes to studying the course and watching other do it before you, and yes the handbrake-to-first technique, its good, I use it too Russ!

Im in for November, although im hoping no exams land around the set date for DECA :P

haha ill give it a shot this Sunday. Going to Nissan-Datsun Deca this weekend O_o Hopefully the car will survive 2 out of 2 deca's haha

Although not keen on putting flat spots on my new Adrenalins :P

And also, who owns the off-tap red 34 GTR?

I saw you today on Centre Road at about 3pm (I know this isnt the spotted thread), really love the rear diffuser!! Where did you source that from?

And also, who owns the off-tap red 34 GTR?

I saw you today on Centre Road at about 3pm (I know this isnt the spotted thread), really love the rear diffuser!! Where did you source that from?

GTS-R

Oops, I've made enemies with the limiter fans :)

Aren't I allowed to find limiters annoying?!?

Well some cars need the revs to make power. Also small amount of wheelspin generates heat which can help.

What's wrong with limiters haha.

Nothing wrong with limiters if that's your thing, but in a timed event (if you are aiming for a top time or a win) they are only going to cost you time. I'm yet to see a car where the power curve continues to show inclination after the limiter!

Limiter? What are those lol Drive bye ear baby :)

And this is how it should be done IMO ;)

I try to stay in gear 1 through the track cause if im in 2nd and pull the handbrake around a turn i just get bogged down and waste time shifting into first.

My gearbox isnt too healthy and grinding it into 1st gear at high revs can only lead to troubles

Engine+tune is more than happy to bounce off the limiter :(

Learn how to heel and toe / double clutch (that is, if you don't already know how), it will make grabbing first alot easier for this kind of turn. Easier on your synchros and also eliminates the need for the handbrake if you can use power induced oversteer instead for the U burn. My car really started to perform in the arvo battles when I began using power oversteer around the U turn hairpin. Didn't touch the handbrake all day!

Are you serious >>????

Deca is a pure fun day , for people to test what there cars can do, find out what does and doesnt work all in a LEGAL environment.

I personly am a fan of a lil limiter, and smoky take offs at Decas,

Hey I never said people can't use them, just that, in timed events it's pointless aiming for a good time whilst hitting a brick wall in terms of engine power / vehicle speed.

LOL @ the anti-limiter comment...why not hit it a few times and make some smoke if you want to?????...youre actually ALLOWED to do that...DECA is about fun you know. Plus not everyone has a responsive engine + turbo combination!

Again, if this is your thing by all means do it for the fun of it...but it will cost you time in timed events, that's all I'm saying. As for engine response, I don't believe there was anyone at DECA with an engine that needed more than 4000rpm to spool their turbos. Therefore anything above this will just attempt to create wheelspin or fry your clutch if you're planning on slipping it. Even the GTRs were seeing too much wheelspin IMO. The best launches of the day came from the AWD Caldina, which rocketed off the line as per the driver not dumping the clutch at 5000+. Shame about the understeer around the rest of the courses!

Didn't mean to sound like a killjoy everyone :P

Actually screw yas, I hate the sound of an engine struggling for petrol/spark! :(

We'll settle this with a skidpan battle in November lol :(

my rb20 doesnt make full boost until 4000rpm (thanks to the 2530 haha)

Also I dont bother with times because I know the crazy launching GTR's will demolish any time I can set, so i'll let them battle out for placement whilst ill just slide around and have fun :)

my rb20 doesnt make full boost until 4000rpm (thanks to the 2530 haha)

Also I dont bother with times because I know the crazy launching GTR's will demolish any time I can set, so i'll let them battle out for placement whilst ill just slide around and have fun :)

well put. p.s. your 32 sucks

My one complaint about DECA was the unnecessarily high RPM launches some people made during the timed events...nothing but wheelspin for 15 metres = shit launch! And people sitting on the limiter on the skidpan, seemingly forgetting they have a clutch and a gearbox :)

Buy ear plugs...

and anyway you are either going to bog it down or hose it up either way shit times, welcome to the turbo world. But then again who cares, i thought that there was nothing better than watching crossy's car cutting sick on the limiter for most of the day.... (love your work mate).

Buy ear plugs...

and anyway you are either going to bog it down or hose it up either way shit times, welcome to the turbo world. But then again who cares, i thought that there was nothing better than watching crossy's car cutting sick on the limiter for most of the day.... (love your work mate).

Nah I'll just wait for the engines/gearboxes to shit themselves, then I won't have to hear it :)

I'm just tyring to help with the timing side of things. Being my first DECA, I apologise for not knowing that no one actually cares about the times!

My one complaint about DECA was the unnecessarily high RPM launches some people made during the timed events...nothing but wheelspin for 15 metres = shit launch! And people sitting on the limiter on the skidpan, seemingly forgetting they have a clutch and a gearbox :P

You sound like fun.. :)

Hey I never said people can't use them, just that, in timed events it's pointless aiming for a good time whilst hitting a brick wall in terms of engine power / vehicle speed.

Again, if this is your thing by all means do it for the fun of it...but it will cost you time in timed events, that's all I'm saying. As for engine response, I don't believe there was anyone at DECA with an engine that needed more than 4000rpm to spool their turbos. Therefore anything above this will just attempt to create wheelspin or fry your clutch if you're planning on slipping it. Even the GTRs were seeing too much wheelspin IMO. The best launches of the day came from the AWD Caldina, which rocketed off the line as per the driver not dumping the clutch at 5000+. Shame about the understeer around the rest of the courses!

My 2c...

runnining into the limiter for a couple of seconds if often quicker..

if you compare a couple of seconds of limiter to the time it takes you to change up from 2nd to 3rd then back down to 2nd for the corner...

Also if you are wheelspining on the limiter you aren't always hitting a brick wall... you can still be moving forwards...

You will notice this if you take off and hit the limiter then immediately change into 2nd gear.. your car will bog down and be off boost...

If you take off and bounce of the limiter until you can feel the wheelspin fading out then hitting second you can have a much better launch.

FYI my car doesn't make full boost until around 5000rpm...

One more...

The limiter is an electronic limit put in place to SAVE your engine...

i.e. not really gonna be the cause of any breakages...

(my car can rev to about 8500 safely... but i have the limiter set at 7000 because thats where the power ends... Therefore well below the safe limit)

And if i'm honest... if anyone doesn't like the sound of my limiter they are crazy hahahahaha :):P:(

Its the best!! Limiter for the win...

My 2c...

runnining into the limiter for a couple of seconds if often quicker..

if you compare a couple of seconds of limiter to the time it takes you to change up from 2nd to 3rd then back down to 2nd for the corner...

Also if you are wheelspining on the limiter you aren't always hitting a brick wall... you can still be moving forwards...

You will notice this if you take off and hit the limiter then immediately change into 2nd gear.. your car will bog down and be off boost...

If you take off and bounce of the limiter until you can feel the wheelspin fading out then hitting second you can have a much better launch.

FYI my car doesn't make full boost until around 5000rpm...

One more...

The limiter is an electronic limit put in place to SAVE your engine...

i.e. not really gonna be the cause of any breakages...

(my car can rev to about 8500 safely... but i have the limiter set at 7000 because thats where the power ends... Therefore well below the safe limit)

And if i'm honest... if anyone doesn't like the sound of my limiter they are crazy hahahahaha :):P:(

Its the best!! Limiter for the win...

+1, Love your car, its utterly insane :(