SAU Community

The Cops Are Ramping It Up - Leave The Skyline At Home!

Spunky Munky

Well to be fair to the cops, there are a couple of R33's here which have been impounded, and a HR31, and (not sure about this one) an R34, for hoonage. So yeah it is the drivers partially, but at the same time, we do seem to get victimised a bit for "illegal mods", you don't see you cops clamping down on Harley riding wankers with ear splitting exhausts.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to set the record straight. The reason we pull you lot over, is not due to the car, but due to the people driving them.

On a daily basis, the amount of idiots we see disregarding basic road rules in these cars, is ridiculous.

When we pull a "skyline" over, we are 90% certain, we are to come across, one of the following;

1. Intoxicated/Drugged Driver

2. Un-liscenced/ Suspended Driver

3. Illegal Modifications

Or my favourite of late;

4. P-Platers, driving high-powered Skylines. It's amazing the number of P-platers these days, who think they can get away by, 'not displaying their plates'. You will be caught. We don't need the plates to tell us, if you're a Probationary or not, we can simply tell by your driving ability.

The same applies to all the Commodores we see.

Skylines used to be the least of our worries, movies like, "Fast and the Furious", have not only infamously promoted them, but have attracted the idiots, to these cars.

Pretty much sum's it all up in a nutshell.

Sorry to say but I find it hard to understand why seeing a skyline on the road would lead police to believe that the driver is:

First - Intoxicated/Drugged

or

Second - Un-licensed/Suspended

both of which are above your third point of having illegal mods...which I'd have thought would be number one on your reasons list...and your list would have finished there with nothing else to follow...

I can easily understand it. Without going into to much detail a lot of people in the burbs i grew up in and are simlar age to me

1. Drive drunk/drugged etc

2. Without licences

They are all driving imports. R33's, 300ZX's etc. Cheap, fast cars.

As 80Kmh said - they attract idiots, which for whatever reason, its true.

80Kmh - Where abouts in the pyramid of power do you sit?

Spunky - If you do have officers as friends, then how after all this time are you still silly enough to be mass defected/EPA'd?

Surely you, and your police friends, would be making you wise up a little... :rant:

Look at the end of the day, the true enthusiats are a minority. There are probably 1,000's of idiots for every 1 import enthusiast.

At least in SAU-Vic, i believe we have predominately people that are here for the love of the car without the idiocy.

It is this belief that i still hold as reason for pretty much EVERY OFFICIAL CRUISE we've had - has little issue with Police once they realise what we are doing, its a formal club, we are all behaving etc.

Its just everyone ruining it for the few as usual

Gutter cameras = spray paint. Not condoning it but it will happen to alot of them. There's a reason intersection cameras are up so high.

lol some aren't high enough :(

Just to set the record straight. The reason we pull you lot over, is not due to the car, but due to the people driving them.

3yrs owning my car, and only been pulled over once. RBT'd and quick squiz at my licence, and i was on my way. dont look dodgy is what hes trying to say :rant:

I have never had a problem with my skyline. Pulled over for a random license check in the city once earlier in the year - they thought my car had been stolen! I have no problem with them following up on a hunch like that. I have had them tail me a few times, can tell they are running me up in the computer, but then leave me alone.

Surely some of the police on here can attest to the fact that this is due to my relatively clear driving record, the occasional under 10 kmh speeding fine, no DUI / suspensions / cancellations etc.

i classify myself as an enthusiast. and the things to not draw attention to yourself would be keeping the blowoff valve stock and no huge rear wing are fancy lights or crazy bodykits or excessively loud exhaust. i think if you keep these in check you would be fine.

i have never been pulled over in my car (touch wood) and have been waved through booze buses. it also helps that if they do a check on me they will see im as clean as a whistle. the only thing i got was a epa test for my exhaust but they didnt pull me over i only drove past lol, found out i had a few holes in the piping so that wouldnt of helped but its fixed now :rant: .

in conclusion keep your skyline looking clean and as legal as possible lol, and you will be fine.

Skylines used to be the least of our worries, movies like, "Fast and the Furious", have not only infamously promoted them, but have attracted the idiots, to these cars.

i cant agree more with the above statement. the amount of heros on the road who think they are they next paul walker is astonishing.

i am far from a saint having gone through stroker kits, big top mount turbos, and 19x11 deep dish wheels, but ive only ever been pulled over a few times. i honestly believe its luck and not my driving sense. i must admit id be hard pressed not to pull a car like mine over regardless how well mannered my driving may be.

but 80Kph can you shed some light on these officers who seem to nip pick at vehicles who have already passed a RWC? what happens when you pull over a driver who has in hand a RWC only dated a few days ago. Are you guys really that qualified to point out issues which a trained professional has deemed worthy?

i personally think not.....but please share

RWC's don't give a shit mate.

There are 1,000's of testers. They are always going to miss something that an Officer will go deliberately looking for.

Think about it. For a RWC you are charging $70. If you take an hour, its not really a good return, but not all that bad.

Now, to check every single little pissy detail that a Police Officer might deem "unroadworthy" is impossible in 1hr. Let alone in 3hrs.

Police look for specific/known things that your local mechanic simply cannot be expected to find in many cases in a 60min period.

There are so many flaws with the system. Just some various points are...

1. Police have powers to big for their boots.

a. EPA reports can be made without proof.

b. Defects notices can be written/given even if invalid.

2. Even cars that have been legalised (VASS etc) - can be defected.

(The following comes from points 1 &2)

3. There is no reprimand system in place to stop officers abusing defect notices & EPA's (it happens. fact).

If officers were actually punished/marks against a record for giving out incorrect defect notices, they would actually think before issuing which is a good thing.

It would actually ensure it is valid. It is noted down on my performance if i f*ck up @ my job - it should be the same for the Police force.

4. VicRoads, ADR's & EPA Laws do not neccesarily intersect in many places. One thing legal under one system, might not legal under another.

Now of course, there will NEVER be a reprimand system put in place.

It needs to happen but the Gov't simply makes money out of it all at the end of the day via

1. Fine's/revenue

2. Tax money from businesses paid to fix defects/Lawyers paid to defend clients against them

etc etc

Ive moved to vic from tas about 3.5 years ago, Ive always owned an Import, always.. Ive always driven to the speed limit, not been a dickhead, and mostly, kept the car roadworthy condition, I have no second thoughts taking my skyline out this weekend, because I know my car is roadworthy. And in that time im yet to be pulled over, why? Because I dont drive like an idiot, and drive some boro spec getto import..

If your cars roadworthy and you have a valid license, why should you worry? if they cops want to pull me over and do all that that's fine its their job, just hurry up and do the usual checks as I need to be places.

3. There is no reprimand system in place to stop officers abusing defect notices & EPA's (it happens. fact).

If officers were actually punished/marks against a record for giving out incorrect defect notices, they would actually think before issuing which is a good thing.

It would actually ensure it is valid. It is noted down on my performance if i f*ck up @ my job - it should be the same for the Police force.

it really leaves me with a sad expression on my face. that we dont have a system in place to make sure correct procedures are followed. But whats worse is those of us who till this day still give a bad name for everyone.....and quite frankly the whole reason we are like this.

I agree that yes the cops are doing there job most of the time.

But im a mechanic and we do roadworthies at my work and i can only comment from what our business does but...no we are not goodie goodie's and not trying to take all your money! we are only pointing these things out that need to be fixed because D!kRoads is cracking down on RWC's.

there are so many cars that we get come in ie. commodores, falcons and the european brand cars that are completey rooted! and my boss doesnt know why these cars dont get picked up by the cops...and i just tell him its cause its not and import. he also comments on how many cars blow smoke! ie hyundai excels, old magna's...but no EPA's for them!

i think someone commented about windscreens earlier...the rules are alot more leanient now. you can have small chips and marks and can have bigger chips not in the wiper ark as well.

look i have no problem with cops pulling over imports but seriously i hate the crock of sht they say when they are on the opposite side of the road do a u-turn and then overtake like 10cars just to pull you over when i was doing the speed limit...and they say "just a random breath test" WTF!

ok yes cops defect cars but not just imports! there are other cars out there that are probably more unroadworthy than ours!!!

end rant

agreed. Some cops r just f**ked n they specifically target imports even if they look stock. This has happened several times. Saw this one cockhead cop chatting to a roadside camera operator. Bunch of p platers in big v8's drive past n he jus looks n shrugs it off. Then I come past and my passenger described him as literally running to his car and flying like a madman to catch me and nearly running up my ass in the process.

I could go on bout those stories but we've heard them all before. I also agree that seeing that vicroads has clamped down on dodgy rwc's pretty much every mechanic needs to be legit. I can see this led up to fines being issued with defects now since so many people would get a quick rwc n be on their way again no probs. So the fines r fair enuff I guess but personally I think they should be up to the officers discretion.

I agree that yes the cops are doing there job most of the time.

But im a mechanic and we do roadworthies at my work and i can only comment from what our business does but...no we are not goodie goodie's and not trying to take all your money! we are only pointing these things out that need to be fixed because D!kRoads is cracking down on RWC's.

there are so many cars that we get come in ie. commodores, falcons and the european brand cars that are completey rooted! and my boss doesnt know why these cars dont get picked up by the cops...and i just tell him its cause its not and import. he also comments on how many cars blow smoke! ie hyundai excels, old magna's...but no EPA's for them!

i think someone commented about windscreens earlier...the rules are alot more leanient now. you can have small chips and marks and can have bigger chips not in the wiper ark as well.

look i have no problem with cops pulling over imports but seriously i hate the crock of sht they say when they are on the opposite side of the road do a u-turn and then overtake like 10cars just to pull you over when i was doing the speed limit...and they say "just a random breath test" WTF!

ok yes cops defect cars but not just imports! there are other cars out there that are probably more unroadworthy than ours!!!

end rant

there just getting out of hand now. In footscray. They have camera's above the street parking. To watch people who sit there with indicator on waiting for a car to leave the carpark so they can slot in. If your seen sitting the for more then 30seconds you get slapped with a fine in the mail for parking in a non standing zone. Bloody bullshit what their doing.

Yeah, got pinged for waiting for a car to leave. 60 secs. Bastards.

Yeah ...you're not wrong. :P Honestly, I get pulled over at least once a week if I drive often. I'm really starting to think of selling both my cars and go to a stock shittty Camry for a while....

Why don't you just get new personalised plates? $495 must be cheaper than getting hauled over every other week cuz your rego's in their bad books.

But how the f**k can they issue fines with defects that they can issue to whomever whereever with no recourse about their actions?

Its not just the cops, I had a dickhead cut me off so I gave him mouth full when at the traffic lights, next thing I get a fine in the mail saying I have thrown a smoke butt out the window, the same time and date, I was a non smoker?, the whole thing turned out to be a pain in the ass, looks like he got me back good hey! :P

in the end of the day, if your cars unroadworthy it shouldnt be on the road, sure cops may have a thing for targeting imports but maybe because due to the condition of the majority of them they do this.

understandable about p-platers being targetted in skylines and other imports due to restrictions, but if you are caught driving them when you shouldnt be..dont complain? yeah i nearly bought a gtst when looking at cars but went with the non turbo as by now i probably woulda copped few fines and points for driving it and in the end not worth it ..big deal if i have lower rep for driving a n/a :P

look in the end of the day its up to the attitude of the cop your dealing with, ive come across some great ones and few horrible ones..its life

This thread is full of the typical "I've never had a problem in my Skyline, it's 100% roadworthy and stock, I don't know what you're all talking about" people. Well shit, I've never had cancer but that doesn't mean it won't happen to me one day right? All it takes is one bad day and you'll be one of us folk who worry without good reason to yet love our cars too dearly to part with them. Willing to bet I can find an unroadworthy item on your vehicles, because at a guess I would say 80% of cars on the road have atleast 1, like worn suspension bushes. I don't have much trouble in my Skyline - it looks fairly stock and most of the time I manage to drive sensibly. But we're not robots with perfect logic / consistent behaviour and brand new cars - if someone wants to get you, they will get you.

Now to any officers of the law reading this thread and my post: please do not take our complaints of petty fines, unfairly issued NOUs and asshole police as generalisations to the police force. I'm sure most/all of us recognise that there are many in the force who work with what they are given, do an honest job of it, and more than often have good reason to do what they do. However, that doesn't mean there aren't police officers who don't. This is no different to your own generalisations: as 80Kph pointed out, he/she expects 90% of the time to find something wrong with a Skyline be it driver or car. Well, there are plenty here who also expect that 90% of the time an officer will find something wrong with their Skyline be it driver or car. Now with the mentality that most Skylines are Fast And The Furious fuelled drivers, is it any wonder many police officers approach the Skyline driver as if they are some young, punk-kid speed demon looking for a lesson from an authority figure?

Its not just the cops, I had a dickhead cut me off so I gave him mouth full when at the traffic lights, next thing I get a fine in the mail saying I have thrown a smoke butt out the window, the same time and date, I was a non smoker?, the whole thing turned out to be a pain in the ass, looks like he got me back good hey! :P

I f***ing hate that bullshit reporting of cigarette litter. It's an instant fine in the mail and all they have to do is go onto the website and put in a few details like the time of day and type of car. No evidence required at all. Abuse the system much? I hate smokers flicking cigarettes but this thing is just a big waste of everyone's time. If an innocent like you can get out of it, then so can a smoker who really did flick their cigarette.

thats fkn bad luck man. just as bad as that bloody dob in a hoon hotline. my mate had the knox sherriff pay a visit to him with a warning saying that someone near his work reported him doing burnouts. yet considering the whole of that bloody st is full of V8 dickhead burning rubber up n down the street every day. i dont recall the last time i saw that street without at least 10 sets of lines on it. and yet only one person cops shit for it. really shoddy system, vic police really should fire whoever makes these stupid schemes cos 9/10 reports appear to be some dickhead trying to get someone in trouble for the fun of it. bet its happened to a fair few people on these forums too

This shyte upsets me...I mean...seriously, look at this...and cops are saying "oh, we're just randomly doing our jobs.." leave us imports the fark alone ffs it's Christmas...how would you feel if we went and defected your cars!! FFS!!!! Enough is enough!

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Va...ec-t301149.html

RWC's don't give a shit mate.

There are 1,000's of testers. They are always going to miss something that an Officer will go deliberately looking for.

Think about it. For a RWC you are charging $70. If you take an hour, its not really a good return, but not all that bad.

Now, to check every single little pissy detail that a Police Officer might deem "unroadworthy" is impossible in 1hr. Let alone in 3hrs.

Police look for specific/known things that your local mechanic simply cannot be expected to find in many cases in a 60min period.

4. VicRoads, ADR's & EPA Laws do not neccesarily intersect in many places. One thing legal under one system, might not legal under another.

Now of course, there will NEVER be a reprimand system put in place.

It needs to happen but the Gov't simply makes money out of it all at the end of the day via

1. Fine's/revenue

2. Tax money from businesses paid to fix defects/Lawyers paid to defend clients against them

etc etc

Wow, that was powerful...I cannot agree more...I just hope that bias cops read this...it's almost as if they think it's funny...I mean, farrk me, if they came to my car now, they'll probably defect me for my wipers being a bit worn, my tired a bit this , a bit that...or my interior being a bit dirty...for example, I nearly had a fine for having my GPS stuck too close to me...I mean, ffs, if it's on the passenger's seat, I won't see the fuccka...I had it just towards me a bit from the centre of the windscreen...what more do they want ffs? It really pisses me off sometimes to say the least!

I had one of those wider mirror clip on things to enable me to see more of the rear...said that was unroadworthy...I had a two-way splitter in my cigarette lighter to power my GPS and also my bluetooth hands free...said I had to get rid of that too as it's farken roadworthy...fark man...this is farked...it's starting to affect us, I thinking of writing to the prime minister or some police chief. We have to take a stance...fark it...I can't even drive my car to highpoint shopping centre as I'm worried some cop would defect me again!

Let's face it...if they tell you to open up your bonnet...you know you're in for a fine of some sort...as if they'll let you go easy...fark, a mate of mine had his car defected because his squirter bottle was slightly worn and has a small whole towards the very top of it where there's was no water to leak through anyway...said it was unroadworthy and also picked on his engine for not having a rocket cover saying without proper closure there was a chance the sparkies or coilpacks would catch fire and spread to the entire engine bay...WTF !!!!!

Enough of my ranting...as you can see, I've just had enough!!!