SAU Community

Diy Fix Cluncking Noise In Dash R33's

nick81xd

I wished that the air bag wasnt there when I tried to get to the 8mm bolts, but it is and the way I went about it was to read up Predators Dash removal and then instead of removing the dash I proped it up enough to get my hand in and used a socket with an allen key to twist it, worked for me and now NO more noise.

Thanks to all who contributed without your help that noise would of drove me batty.

Edited by R33S2

• 2 weeks later...

OK so i took the glove box out to have a look at this vent control box, this on a GTR

can only just see the arm that moves when you select different outlet(feet, face ect) but sounds like it doesn't move on all selections, is this normal?. When it does move to a different selction the air doesn't come out on that selection.

At first i thought the arm had come off but it look like it is still connected(im gonna bring a mirrior home from work to double check).

Also the cluncking/clicking sound gets louder then softer

ANY HELP/INFO WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

Cheers

• 3 months later...

This defeated me yesterday on a S2 R33. I loosed everything to get clearance but I couldn't get my hand in there far enough to have any idea what needed loosening. For me I would need to loosen the dash and lift it up to see what I am doing. I cbf taking the dash out after spending 1.5hr under there trying to get it loosened and tightened back up. My neck said enough was enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I failed at doing this got it off but couldn't get the arm off :( anyone has got a working one?

i have one sitting on the shelf fixed reading to go if your interested.

if any one has a spare one I'll take it! I couldnt get the arm off either, applied too much force and it shattered into a million peices.. tried superglueing the lot but it was just a fail so i binned it.

Any help appreciated :)

Cheers!

Just removed the motor myself today.

I took some pictures, so I could see what it was I was trying to pull out. Figure it might help some of you.

1st pic is front of the dash

2nd pic is the actual motor itself. You have to wedge your hands in there to touch the motor.

I used a small 8mm wrench. I found it easier to remove bolt 1 of 2 with my right hand by just crouching in front of the car.

Bolt 2 of 2 I actually lied down on the passenger floor, so my face would be facing upwards and I used both hands to loosen the bolt.

Any other tips other than grease to prevent the gears from chipping again??

5907234173_131bc319e6.jpg

5907790274_d6ae329c1b.jpg

post-81368-0-40100100-1309927384_thumb.jpg

post-81368-0-40230700-1309927392_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

geunine item is $250 PN 27736-70T00

dash removal is about the only real way to do it. I looked at it with the idea of accessing it WITHOUT pulling the dash - pass. dash out is far easier.

• 1 month later...

did in my s1 r33 it works great no more noise :thumbsup: took me about half an hour

but +1 for the wearing gloves because you WILL stab yourself with the screw drivers!!!

also you can get all the clips of with out breaking them you just have to work your way aroundwith a small screwdriver untill it comes apart...and be very patient :/

• 2 months later...

I had my dash apart for other reasons and swapped in a low k's halfcut item while I could. Problem solved. I did try and fix the old one, but that arm was not going to budge.

Now the one for the heater/air is dead. It started out with clicking, as it started not knowing when to stop. Now I think it's broken a tooth off the gear because the clicking has gone, but sometimes i'll get mad heat when it's set to 18 degrees with or without AC. The temporary fix is to up it to 32, then back to 18 and it seems to move the flapper and then it's all cool again.

Anyone know how to change that one? I'm not taking the dash out again! ;o)

The original noise happened when changing modes from face/feet/demister etc, so I assume the part we are changing here is the "mode" actuator in the attached pics. From memory, it seemed positioned more like the Mixer actuator. The noise (when it started) was closer to the drivers side for the second actuator issue... which appears to be the "mode" actuator. Makes no sense that way around though!

post-3573-0-38646400-1328560353_thumb.png

post-3573-0-12279100-1328560355_thumb.png

I had my dash apart for other reasons and swapped in a low k's halfcut item while I could. Problem solved. I did try and fix the old one, but that arm was not going to budge.

Now the one for the heater/air is dead. It started out with clicking, as it started not knowing when to stop. Now I think it's broken a tooth off the gear because the clicking has gone, but sometimes i'll get mad heat when it's set to 18 degrees with or without AC. The temporary fix is to up it to 32, then back to 18 and it seems to move the flapper and then it's all cool again.

Anyone know how to change that one? I'm not taking the dash out again! ;o)

The original noise happened when changing modes from face/feet/demister etc, so I assume the part we are changing here is the "mode" actuator in the attached pics. From memory, it seemed positioned more like the Mixer actuator. The noise (when it started) was closer to the drivers side for the second actuator issue... which appears to be the "mode" actuator. Makes no sense that way around though!

post-3573-0-38646400-1328560353_thumb.png

post-3573-0-12279100-1328560355_thumb.png

Yeah i have the issue with hot/cold with my r33 S1 also. had it for about 8 years now. in winter when i need hot, i up it to 32 degrees while car is on, i go under the dash on the drivers side, and i give the valve a helping turn, and it completes its cycle.

When i want cold in summer, i lower temp to 18, go under dash again and turn it back. been doing it so long now, its just normal for me now :)

in regards to this thread though, i also have the clicking issue so going to give it a go when i get home. I havent had face vents enabled in the whole time ive owned the car. When i eventually get it going, i expect 8 years of dust build up to blow out. :)

Yeah i have the issue with hot/cold with my r33 S1 also. had it for about 8 years now. in winter when i need hot, i up it to 32 degrees while car is on, i go under the dash on the drivers side, and i give the valve a helping turn, and it completes its cycle.

When i want cold in summer, i lower temp to 18, go under dash again and turn it back. been doing it so long now, its just normal for me now :)

in regards to this thread though, i also have the clicking issue so going to give it a go when i get home. I havent had face vents enabled in the whole time ive owned the car. When i eventually get it going, i expect 8 years of dust build up to blow out. :)

LOL!! That's pretty dusty! I get my aircompressor and the long nozzle blower and give it a blast now and then with the windows down and the doors open.

As for the helping hand, it sounds like the one we have the problem with is easier to get to? I haven't had a proper look yet.

Well i did this also. however, araldite not strong enough. the lever started to turn, then started clicking again until the lever snapped. tried it twice. maybe the rack where the lever fits into is caught else where and doesnt want to complete its full path.

ive given up for now, unless someone has any ideas