SAU Community

A Boy's Love For His Rb20

Well, the old girl did her first track day in 3 years on the weekend!!!! Cant believe it had been that long and I sure as hell was very rusty at trying to coax the thing around a tight and twisty Winton.

Will post up some vids when I get a chance to edit them. Didnt really lean on it too hard, wound a bit of ignition out of it and didnt rev it to over 7,300rpmish. Grabbed some second gear and rang its neckto 8,800rpm limit a few times in the slow twisty part but the engine breathed about 500ml of oil into the catch can when i gave it that hard a time. Didnt breath a drop of oil when I went back to using 3rd gear through those slow corners....so something to consider.

Wasnt overly quick, but was a good first time back at the track , car really needs a wheel alignment and ride heights set....that itself would make a huge difference.

Its not that brilliant a time but I am stoked with it. I didnt look at times until the next day on Natsoft though a few people mentioned that I was in the 38s. The day was about getting kms in the seat and the car to see if there are any little things that need sorting since it has been in pieces and off the road so much. But tribute to Racepace that the car ran faultless all day and engine was strong, handling was nice and neutral....i was stoked with how easy the car was to drive.

So from here pretty happy that all I need to do is set the ride heights, get a wheel alignment more suited to track work with semis...and then its just seat time for me.

The other thing is the vid is of the only dry session on the long track. Was good to do some laps in the session before in the wet to get a feel again for the flow of the circuit....but only getting 4-5 laps of dry running and getting the time I did....I am stoked! Even the tyres despite being a few years old appear to have been stored well and had plenty of grip and probably the car was quicker then me (as always)

Nice video!

I would kill myself if I had a HKS BOV, I just can't stand that noise haha

I also found my RB20 hard with top of 2nd gear corners, as soon as they come on boost they just want to go sideways and moderating the throttle doesn't really help :(

The top of 2nd gear is just a driving thing. Like any rwd car with a decent amount of power, you just need to take a line through the corners that allows you to get the lock off as soon as possible and plant the throttle when you are close to going straight.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the new cage is in....Risking has done a nice job and on teh drive back to Melb from Sydney was nice to be able to recline the seat and take a nap...the cage fits the b piller a lot nicer then my old cage.

gallery_20349_4009_25906.jpg

Over the next few weeks I suppose I need to put more effort into my interior and throw some dry ice in there, strip it and give the whole lot a lick of silver

There isnt a lot to be gained from chaging it to a full race car?!?! I spend 10-15k more on it to go maybe a fraction quicker and drive it less. Right now its about right with regards to usability and my budget....and its still fun which is all this car is about. I dont think I would enjoy racing, it costs too much, talent (the biggest part) is missing and dont have the time and space for a race car

i like it. Club Racer spec. id like to build a car to that sort of spec one day. build a car that is still street legal, or there abouts and race it/drive it as often as i can and be happy with the comprimise. thats the biggest hurdle for someone like me, being happy to compramise between not the best street ride and not the best track setup. a car with a pourpose.

on the interior side. ive seen people use carpet like sub box carpet to lay over the bare rear section of the car to make the car feel a bit more user freindly. HPI had a GTR from dubi that had a carpeted rear and it looked very tastefull.

I like the clean look of paint. But I like the practicality of getting it all carpeted as it reduces glare in the sun, more durable when throwing tools and wheels back there, also reduces road noise a tad. Will most likely paint it, simply because I do prefer the cleaner look, but will have to look at the cost of it. Panel beaters charge a fortune and I do want it colour matched to my external paint

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Pete, saw the 31 and had to shake my head. Not because its not mega cool, but because you have so many projects on the go that I just had to laugh and think that you could be just a tad bipolar.

So the Plazmaman plenum is finally on. Went for a drive and it obviously has changed the air flow of the engine as the tune seems out and will be getting tuned next week some time. First impression is perhaps the throttle response is a bit sharper, but it is already laggier. But that is untuned SOP feel and I now have a Blitz ID Spec R on the thing now which still needs to be setup. SO....not sure yet.

But at the moment it better perform as the following means I am not all that excited about the install of it. Firstly, you need a small battery, no way a std battery will clear the throttle body location. Second is the Cusco brake stopper has to be removed as the plenum fouls on it. It was expected that you have to extend the loom a little for the relocated throttle body. The std throttle cable was fine. The angle off the front of the throttle body isnt great with trying to get it back through the inner guard. You lose the bleed point for the coolant system. You lose access to your dip stick, you can still reach it but its a pain. And its NOISY. Sounds like you have a massive leak as the alloy is so thin that you hear the air rushing through it. Not a bad thing, but just another noise in the engine bay you have to understand and ignore when you are diagnosing things.

So thats about it for now....will see how the tune goes. The cost of the plenum install means its staying on whether its good or sh1t. Hopefully the tune yields positive results, if so the 256/8.5mm cams go in. If the tune reveals no difference or a backwards step then I am going to give up on the lil 20 and just wind 22psi into it and have fun with it and start building my stroker full of Tomei goodness :)