SAU Community

A Boy's Love For His Rb20

im keen to hear the results on the Plasman. i know a few people with them but they have not jumped up and down about them mainly due to them being done in reation to other mods. they do tidy up the engine bay.

my drifter mate with his rb20 lag monster wants one but i cant see the money in it. what he has is good for 266rwkw now but if it improved responce at all it would be wonderfull.

i think you should start on the 2.4 build. why dont you get one of beer barons contacts in japan to build it for you? the 2.2 stroker in our race car has done 4 seasons of racing without failure. but im predicting thats just around the corner.

I am no fag hence no RB26. Only queers and steers throw 26s at GTSTs, and i'm neither! The 20 can get the job done

only queers and steers hey?

how tall are you private brisby?

looks good. plenum sounds a bit camp though. more boost should help. you already have more power than you are qualified for anyway.... hehe. :)

Well there is this little problem at the moment that I want to "gouge out Plazmamans eyes and skull f**k him"

So it doesnt look good. In fact I was a bit indifferent to it all accepting that there may not be a big difference. What I did not expect is it to hit power and response as bad as it looks to have. So far with a few runs and tweaks on the dyno the ignition has needed to be wound of the engine as with the same amount of ignition as the std plenum it pings its head off. So the first impression is that the engine is now very ignition critical and we are chasing response. So went off dyno to check a few things but it looks as though if there is a benefit to this plenum then its not readily there for the taking and cam gears, tune, tune and more tune to get std plenum performance and at the moment hoping there is only a small loss in performance, dont think I can really think about gains :(

So for now it appears as though Sydneykid and Racepace etc have all been right all this time when they say the std plenum is the way to go. :(

thats no good Roy

on mine with no other ajustments other than Plazmaman and quick retune i got 200 rpm more response 5hp more but carried the power to redline without dropping off at all.... where previously it droppped off about 10% by 7600 rpm... hmmmm

did you you std throttle body?? thats what I used

also with the Cusco brakemaster stopper issue ... i had that too.. had a little clearance but when on throttle it rubbed against it, solved it by using an engine dampner on that side now all is OK .. maybe an option ??

Edited by bcozican

ITB's is where it's at. I'm mine work alright, we might need to whip you up some

+1 GTR PLENUM FTW!

just install my old blitz kit on another rb25, big job engine out etc but well worth it in my eyes, if i remember right right i was able to lower full boost rpm by 200-300rpm

thats no good Roy

on mine with no other ajustments other than Plazmaman and quick retune i got 200 rpm more response 5hp more but carried the power to redline without dropping off at all.... where previously it droppped off about 10% by 7600 rpm... hmmmm

did you you std throttle body?? thats what I used

also with the Cusco brakemaster stopper issue ... i had that too.. had a little clearance but when on throttle it rubbed against it, solved it by using an engine dampner on that side now all is OK .. maybe an option ??

Still std throttle body. What engine, turbo setup etc are you running? Was the same tuner before and after used with the same dyno? All variables removed? At the moment its too early to say all hope is lost with my setup but its not looking encouraging. There are no variables in y back to back other then plenum and ... well.

+1 GTR PLENUM FTW!

just install my old blitz kit on another rb25, big job engine out etc but well worth it in my eyes, if i remember right right i was able to lower full boost rpm by 200-300rpm

But unless you can qualify that with dyno sheets and statements that nothing else was changed at the same time as the plenum, its the same dyno and tuner...and the tuner can talk about how the engine behaved with regards to taking timing and fuel and making its power....then I dont think you can jump online and spout that there is a performance improvement as you need to understand that others are spending money on your posting / advice.

Maybe its an RB25 vs RB20 thing....but at the moment it seems the lil 20 loves its std plenum. Will see what the came gears and more tuning reveals

I dont think you can jump online and spout that there is a performance improvement as you need to understand that others are spending money on your posting / advice.

the problem is that you have brought A) a product that has suposibly been thurowly tested by the manufacture. and had a poor result.

and B) you have brought a product being the 6boost manifold that every one raves about only off here say.

both have unfortunatly bitten you on the bum.

im disapointed in your findings as my team mate was hoping to get one but for the big $$$ outlay its another waste of time.

also while i love my ITBs my engine is a rb25 and it wasnt done back to back so i can never give a definate answer to its performance gains.

ill also take a stab in the dark and say its the dirty truck turbo holding you back.

No doubt the TD06 is an old thing, but from some testing on the same dyno its been proven to be more responsive and powerful then an RB20 with HKS GT-RS. Its more responsive then 3076 setups getting around with around the same power, but have not ran then on the same dyno. I am curious to see what a well tuned 3071 would do, I suspect that could be a better thing.

But, I am going to have to simply settle for 270odd rwkws as the plenum exercise cost about 4 times what the engine is worth! :( Its interesting to see the results of trialing bolt ons but for now I am a bit frustrated that some of these aftermarket performance bits dont help performance. Seems that about the best thing you can do is throw a $500 wrecker motor in and just go, no need for plenums, cams, head gaskets or built bottom ends. A std RB20 can make all the power it is ever going to make and stil be reasonable responsive and drivable all with completely std internals....and perform better then some motor with cams, plenum and all the fluff that should give you power etc.

To think this little experiment would have paid for the machining and all the fasteners and gaskets etf for my forged RB24 bottom end :(

If the current setup is more responsive than all the other setups mentioned then why fu(k with it? The money you've spent on the bullshit parts of late you could have bought a couple of brand new sets of tyres and could have done half a dozen track days. Worry about getting out there and getting some seat time instead of trying to improve an already proven setup.

Hey, i have two sets of semis...RE55s and AO50s to back to back. Car is doing every track day it can...working in Brisbane is going to pose a few problems but will be doing 6-10 track days this year no problem. This has all been a result of trying to get a bit more from the std motor. It has been a case of dead money but its not stopping me from entering track days... the biggest problem is the track calender has dried up :( WRX not doing any PI days, no Sandown to later in the year. Maserati deciding to do their PI day the other week on a Friday.

So the opportunity has not been there to giv eit a blast :( And this bolt on exercise has done nothing to help motivation :)