SAU Community

World Time Attack Challenge 2011

Roy

Chassis

• OEM strut towers must be retained and used.

• OEM floor must be retained.

• OEM firewall must be retained. Modifications to the firewall are allowed for roll cage, engine fitment, transmission fitment and wiring. All holes must be sealed. If the firewall is provisioned for to allow clearance for a different engine or allow gearbox/drive train fitment, all material must be replaced with the same thickness sheet metal as the factory material.

• The rear most part of the engine block may be no more than 2 inches rearward of the most forward point of the firewall, If the vehicle is rear engine, the front most part of the engine block may be no more than 2 inches forward of the most rear point of the firewall.

• Chassis rails may be modified for fitment issues, all chassis rail modifications must be submitted to the promoter for approval.

• Tube frame chassis extensions are NOT permitted

Can’t see how this is close to CAMS Sports Sedan Specs, yes some of the cars running would be able to run in Sports Sedan with some aero taken off. But far from Tube frame and mid mount motors.

So let me get this right. You can now have tube frame cars, but Porsches are still not allowed?

The mind boggles.

The "No rear engine 6 Cylinder or above vehicles allowed" is only for Clubsprint.

Porsches are allowed in Open and Pro Classes.

Doesn't have to comply with CAMs spec , very few do, comply with CAMs rules and why should they - one doesnt - two don't nor do the rest - and as if they! are about to do anything about it the next decade! I think you will find most organisers are happy with FAI stamp these days

We had a great time at SL, got some tune issues to sort on the link G4 system, we will be in club sprint 2011, hopefully both cars, (R32 & R33) maybe even a VZ taxi in open

Heard a remour CAMs Actually now means Confederation of Australian Motorsports sux - what a shame!

Chassis

• OEM firewall must be retained. Modifications to the firewall are allowed for roll cage, engine fitment, transmission fitment and wiring. All holes must be sealed. If the firewall is provisioned for to allow clearance for a different engine or allow gearbox/drive train fitment, all material must be replaced with the same thickness sheet metal as the factory material.

• The rear most part of the engine block may be no more than 2 inches rearward of the most forward point of the firewall, If the vehicle is rear engine, the front most part of the engine block may be no more than 2 inches forward of the most rear point of the firewall.

• Chassis rails may be modified for fitment issues, all chassis rail modifications must be submitted to the promoter for approval.

Can't see how this is close to CAMS Sports Sedan Specs, yes some of the cars running would be able to run in Sports Sedan with some aero taken off. But far from Tube frame and mid mount motors.

Someone wanna buy me a turbo kit so I can have a crack?

Old man is about to start advertising his 1995 Turbo MX5 to buy some new Honda motor bike. Runs a Mazda Familia GTR motor and turbo, RX7 S6 gear box, Guru LSD, Motec, Willwood brakes, Koni coil over’s. 220kw@wheels, CAMS log booked with full road rego and engineers report all for $20,000. Would be a nice upgrade for you!

post-36356-0-03106400-1293666882_thumb.jpg

Chassis

Can’t see how this is close to CAMS Sports Sedan Specs, yes some of the cars running would be able to run in Sports Sedan with some aero taken off. But far from Tube frame and mid mount motors.

The rules you have quoted are only for the Open class. In the Pro class there is no mention of disallowing tube frames and there is no mention of having to USE the strut towers (just that you have to keep them - I wonder how much of them you need to keep?). It has no mention of having to use the OEM suspension design at all (it explicitly states this in the Open class).

There is also no mention of needing to keep the OEM floor in the Pro class. From what I can read, it looks like the only things of the original chassis you need to keep are the strut towers and the firewall. You do need to get permission to modify the chassis rails, so presumably they expect you to keep those as well? They really do need to clarify the class rules a bit better, it's open to wild interpretation.

Good to see that it looks like Porsches (and Fezzas, Lambos etc) can at least now enter the Pro and Open classes.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point mattah I just scanned threw Pro Class rules thinking they were the same. Glad I’m not entering the pro class.

As for tyres looks like the Advan AO50R will be the most popular pick or any one got any other ideas?

Anyone got any feedback about running the soft or medium compounds in AO50R, how soft are the soft tyres or most people using the mediums?

Good point mattah I just scanned threw Pro Class rules thinking they were the same. Glad Im not entering the pro class.

As for tyres looks like the Advan AO50R will be the most popular pick or any one got any other ideas?

Anyone got any feedback about running the soft or medium compounds in AO50R, how soft are the soft tyres or most people using the mediums?

For a GTR I reckon mediums are soft enough. Unless if it's super light weight.

From memory last year the yanks were using Hankooks and panspeed were on Dunlop 03G's so it's not all Advan.

I'll be running AO50's again.

So you going to have kiddy fliddling 25 power for 2011 SL Russ or are you going to be sticking with 20 power?

Russ has gone to a dirty cheater 25 I hear..........

It's true.

Check out the build photos on facebook. Engine being dropped in next week all going well. Prob going twin scroll T4 housing on my 3076, mounted on Noel's (FineLine) 6boost that will be in the post when postal services resume in QLD. Should be about 280-300 reliable killa wasps. I'll be starting up a build thread when I get a chance. Maybe not as epic as yours bris.

I want a 1min 42 in august :P