SAU Community

World Time Attack Challenge 2011

Roy

pretty sure zebra was walking around the pits in bike shorts :unsure:

Duncan....comments not directed at you (other than a dollar v result yard stick for club)...clearly superlap is a sideline in your motorsport not the aim. You have had a dead serious shot at a genuine state championship and won it twice, in a row.

:cheers: to you

What I don't get is people building a car just for this event. The rules are way too open leaving the budget to win way too high. And like I said, if you are wiling to spend enough to win superlap you should probably try some door to door or rally stuff...it is another step up again in fun.

BTW Russman I was "educated" by the qlders when I went up north. They have a step up from sprints that they call super sprints. Damn good idea if you ask me. They haven't run qld style supersprints in NSW for at least 5 years.

Fair enough. Door to door is next on my list. One day. Just need the time/space/tow car (and race car..). Hopefully in the not too distant future.

Doesn't change the fact that superlap is just a supersprint where you need a way overpriced car to win. Boz your civic came 8th in class...I said it is expensive to win, not to run mid pack.

Hey if you want to be part of a big event, go for it. Just don't think you are going to win unless you throw stupid money at the event.

Seriously, if you are going to throw that much money at motorsport, for god sake buy something and go racing instead!

hahahaha 8th in class?

We smashed our classes. Fastest FWD in open....actually fastest FWD outright and fastest NA in open. That was all we wanted to do in the little Civic.

Superlap/WTAC has done amazing things for the whole industry.

Track days are booked out, supersprint numbers are up, driver training is going nuts and tuning shops are out of control.

It is a win win for everybody I say :thanks:

Door to door racing would be fun but the reality is I could never get my wife to agree to let me participate. Dont even mention tarmac rally to her, the media outlets have not done us any favours over the years by inly reporting crashes/deaths etc.

Income protection, TPD and life insurance would skyrocket (in my case, which I have investigated). As my missus is not exactly a fan of Motorsport I am lucky to have twisted her arm to let me do what I am doing. Therefore extracting every ounce of fun/competetion out if this format is all I can do for now.

What I don't get is people building a car just for this event. The rules are way too open leaving the budget to win way too high. And like I said, if you are wiling to spend enough to win superlap you should probably try some door to door or rally stuff...it is another step up again in fun.

dunc, the people building cars for this style of event do it cause it's fun too. building the car is half the fun, and with it's relaxed set of rules it means they can do and try things that they would normally not be able to do in any type of competitive motorsport in aus. they do it cause they love it. just like you race in combined touring which is an uphill battle in a GTR which is hamstrung by rules that favour other models. you do it cause you love it and it's fun.

some people get a thrill out of building that absolute balls out hand-grenade style car that if they can get everything right in one lap can cut a very fast lap. and there are plenty of like minded people there to compete against in similar machinery too. :)

it's not for everyone, but it has it's place and the standard of cars people have produced to enter is amazing. people want to see those cars too.

dunc, the people building cars for this style of event do it cause it's fun too. building the car is half the fun, and with it's relaxed set of rules it means they can do and try things that they would normally not be able to do in any type of competitive motorsport in aus. they do it cause they love it. just like you race in combined touring which is an uphill battle in a GTR which is hamstrung by rules that favour other models. you do it cause you love it and it's fun.

some people get a thrill out of building that absolute balls out hand-grenade style car that if they can get everything right in one lap can cut a very fast lap. and there are plenty of like minded people there to compete against in similar machinery too. :)

it's not for everyone, but it has it's place and the standard of cars people have produced to enter is amazing. people want to see those cars too.

You nailed it from my perspective Baron. Run what you brung, If you want to build it balls and and all go your hardest, If you want to race mums magna knock yourself out,

I've watched you race Duncan and i feel sorry for you mate. The gtr is knobbled to the point where you are only racing yourself and your best lap which, Surprise Surprise! Is exactly what we do at time attack.

yeah supersprints are about fatz walking around in a pair of stubbies, drinking a pair of stubbies, shooting his mouth off. lol. and offering to drive anything with wheels on it as long as it doesn't belong to him!

only difference is this year he'll be wearing his bloody fury hat since I finally gave it back to him.

You nailed it from my perspective Baron. Run what you brung, If you want to build it balls and and all go your hardest, If you want to race mums magna knock yourself out,

I've watched you race Duncan and i feel sorry for you mate. The gtr is knobbled to the point where you are only racing yourself and your best lap which, Surprise Surprise! Is exactly what we do at time attack.

Will you be competing Noel?

.... just like you race in combined touring which is an uphill battle in a GTR which is hamstrung by rules that favour other models. you do it cause you love it and it's fun.

...I've watched you race Duncan and i feel sorry for you mate. The gtr is knobbled ....

yes, and no! I choose to race in production cars, because I know I can win or come close to on my (very limited) budget. It is restrictive rules that make that possible.

Yes my race car is probably the slowest GTR in the world :rofl: but that's OK I'm only racing 6l commodores.....20 years and they have finally caught up :D

On the other hand, what do you think the winning car in the IPRA nationals cost....or the winning car in NSW sports sedan....or the winning car at superlap...

BTW Bozz....I'm sure superlap has been good for tuning shops......that is where the naive entrants who think they are going to win are spending heaps of their hard earned to come mid field! Then they take a year to save, spend a more, enter again and find the whole field has done the same thing and they are still midfield.

Superlap is nothing at all to do with supersprint numbers being great atm, that was already happening and I am yet to hear the word "superlap" mentioned at the state super sprints or a race meet. Almost no cars enter both events (less than 10?). At the CAMS club council, none of the clubs that attended other than SAU had even heard of the event.

Of course there are places for outright events with limited rules - but they are not at the "accessible" end of motorsport.

Not sure dunc but I think you're missing the point. I can only speak for myself and those I know well enough to have an idea on but I am not going to Eastern Creek or any other track to beat cars of that calibre. I'm happy to just be part of the same event as those weapons.

I would love to do what you do but man its expensive enough to race without rubbing. I know you guys dont go out to deliberately swap paint but the likleyhood of it happenning is far greater than in the time attack/sprint type format.

I would venture to say that time attack is probably the fastest growing format in the track scene on a world wide basis atm simply because people like the idea of going hard on a track but minimising the risk of costly repairs.

Any format is expensive enough with tyres, entry fees, fuel, maintainence etc so any way to keep costs down and still see track time is a win for me.

Hi Guys,

always a good read when everyone is so passionate, just my 2 cents worth as i believe im one of those

mofo's that Duncan is refering to as i only started doing this last year :P

I am building a dedicated car where i can take out once a month to any trackday (not governed by

to many rules and regs) and eventually compete in events such as WTAC. i beleive this is

the pinnicle of the high performance imports scene for those who are not motivated to do what you

do or purely dont have the time or dedication. i would dare say that supersprints would be next on my

agenda, but once again, time resraints, family and work commitments see's this form of racing hard to

commit to as well.

Just food for thought - Does your form of racing attracts cars from overseas to the calibre of that

we only read about in magazines? For both drivers and spectators i think its win win in this form of

motorsport that has been existent in Japan for many years, and obviously taking off in America -now it has

hit our shores - i think we just pull our finger out on our set ways and embrace it :)

Any form of racing that can generate a competitors list across the 3 classes such as WTAC is a winner in my books.

Who gives a fck if ppl want to spend endless amounts of coin on there car, sit back and enjoy the ride!

If everybody in the industry is benifiting - bloody great!

:cheers:

Steve

I'm happy to just be part of the same event as those weapons.

That's why I've gone to OP and EC the last 2 years with a 230kw gtst!

Plus for me it's a chance to race at some NSW tracks too.

That's why I've gone to OP and EC the last 2 years with a 230kw gtst!

Plus for me it's a chance to race at some NSW tracks too.

Agreed Russ, My holiday to the Monaco of the high country last year (aka Goulborn) was one of the best times I've had in years,

Tearin up wakie was as good as it gets for me. I have winton in my sights in the next year or so for the same reason.

But superlap is something else. Just to see cars built when the rules have basically been thrown out the window is an awsome spectacle. Cant wait for it again this year.

I ca nsee pro's and cons of having (next to) no rules - Building a car to be fast over 1 lap with no rules is a lot different to building a car to meet strict rules and beating the other cars within those rules ala Dunc running a 20 year old car against evo's and 6L commodores and winning

I don't see the reward in doing 1 fast lap all day and winning a 2 day event.

But I have always been a fan longer races (le Mans, the burgerring 24hr, bathurst etc)

So to me there is more reward in being fast all day and night and winning.

Time attack has its place, but is rather boring to watch from the stands, and would be even worse on TV

Time attack has its place, but is rather boring to watch from the stands, and would be even worse on TV

Yeah. Would only be fun for people with a particular interest in time attack. ie DVD from last year.