SAU Community

34Geeteetee Daily / Track Project

Session two was the first timed session and i thought i better go out and have a crack before the weather came in... I warmed the tyres and started to push the pace a bit more... Once again i had understeer and trouble under brakes, i was getting a little annoyed as i was expecting the car to be a massive improvement with new front tyres and alignment and instead i was fighting the car to turn...

MatR341_zpsa270ba93.jpg

MatR34_zps5b75a5ce.jpg

At this stage i knew something was wrong... Being a noob to Semi's i asked John Boston if i needed to do anything with fresh "green" tyres and was told they should be fastest right out of the box, so i checked the pressures again and this is where i started to find my first drama... The front left hot was 26psi, front right 29psi and the two rear were 32psi... Weird but i figured i had stuffed up the first time so chucked some air in the front and kept going...

The brakes were an issue as mentioned above, SMSP South was to blame for this as the last session was an open session and as i was having so much fun i decided to go lap after lap mucking around without a cool down between... When returning to the pits i actually though the front of the car was on fire with the smoke coming from the brakes lol... This was all good and well and forgotten by the time it was track day again, however it was soon remembered when i went flat out to the normal braking marker and completely missed the apex at turn 2 as my foot was still firmly on the brake pedal...

You can see from the original pic and the super exaggerated MS Paint job below just how much the brakes were heating up -

MatBrakes_zps82f382f4.jpg

BrakesGlowMSPaintEditionlol_zps6f5c4afe.

So Track Day Club on Nov 1 was interesting for all the wrong reasons... Not an ideal day due to some silly things but will get to that... First off i thought i better sort out the front suspension and tyres to stop cooking the outer edges, purchased a set of Cusco camber arms from Jesse Streeter (Incredible service as always :yes: ) and sent the car down to Road2Race for the alignment etc....

b5036a68-eaff-4582-adf4-cde2e05b658f_zps

To our surprise and i will say i guess disappointment we could get no more the -3 degrees of camber from these arms... It was not a huge improvement on where i already was... It seems i will need the lower arms to match to be able to get the desired camber level... This will happen over summer as the car will be having a break (Read that as the wallet will be having a break lol)

I have the same arms on my 34 and can mod them to get more camber :)

Ill be looking to increase the track slightly in the near future as the wheel and tyre combo is already close enough to the inner guards etc... Still interested to know what you have done to yours anyway :)

Going back to the tyre issue... I checked the tyre after inflating it a couple of times during the day and the end result was it still going down... The valves were fine but i think the bead has not seated right unfortunately...

IMG_0663_zps6ccce4c2.jpg

Just to add insult to injury, the final session had cooled down and track conditions seemed as good as they were going to get for the day... I set the tyre pressure high in the hope that it would get to around the correct pressure once i wanted to do a hotlap, it helped a bit but on a fast lap i had issue number 3 (They say bad things come in 3's and they are correct lol)...

IMG_0632_zpsdd6e0f77.jpg

I was coming onto the back straight with everything feeling pretty good and POP no more boosts... Basterd!

IMG_0634_zpsfeceb947.jpg

It seemed to have the clamp and hose in the right spot and didnt look to be loose but it must have been as it has got over the bead that was welded on to prevent this exact issue!

IMG_0633_zps93295e9d.jpg

So back to the pits and repaired it and drove back onto the trailer... Not my most successful day out haha

I didn't actually do it to mine as 3deg was all I wanted but as I was setting it up I noticed it could be so you can get one more setting by simple die grinding the main bolt hole a bit

Dodgy mofo :P