SAU Community

Looking For Car To Replace My R34Gtt

R34 Sedan

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a high perfromace RWD (must be maual)to replace my R34Gtt.

I have been very happy with the R34 and would love to keep it, but I just can't handle any more bullshit that goes with owning an import(waiting for parts etc.)

I've had had the car for 5 years and have had 3 MAJOR accidents none of which were my fault. Each time I was stationary in traffic, gearbox in neutral and my foot on the brake. For wahtever reason people just keep running straight in to me. The first accident bent the chassis rail and cost 20K to repair. The 2nd one was about 10K damage, and I estimate the current one is probably about 10K also.

Needless to say I"M f**kING OVER IT, I guess there's just nothing you can do to protect yourself against f**king MORONS.

The most recent accident was over 2 months ago and the parts still havn't arrived from Japan. I just weant a good reliable car, whith parts in stock in OZ.

Anyone have any ideas what might be a good replacement for the R34 (must be sold in OZ)

Thanks

Paul

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your price range?

Bob.

[Probably 20-30K, although I'm not real keen on Australian cars ie Commodores and Falcons.

I'm considering AWD, but to be honest I prefer RWD]

Yeah WRX-STI is worth considering, only thing is I'm very tall and doubt I'll have enough head space (I bearly fit in my R34 sedan (don't fit in the 2 door at all)).

My brother has an STI so I'll go and have a sit in his to see how I go, if I don't fit then the Liberty (Tuned by STI) might be worth a look.

I still think I'd prefer RWD (I driven rear wheel drive all my life, 22 yrs in fact) but it just may not be possible.

Looks like I might have to open my mind to change!

S15?

No unfortunately I'm 6"2 and don't even come close to fitting in an S15, I know because the old man has one, the interior roof is about 6 inches to low.

No unfortunately I'm 6"2 and don't even come close to fitting in an S15, I know because the old man has one, the interior roof is about 6 inches to low.

Im 6'2" and I fit in them.

Don't mean to sound difficult, but I have a very long torso for my height (ie legs arn't really that long), and I suffer chronic backpain from a car accident 10 years ago (I have an artificial disc and metal plates in my spine), for this reason I need to sit with the seat reasonably upright (I can't slouch AT ALL).

I don't even fit in a 2 door R33 or R34, in my R34 sedan my hair touches the roof.

This is really quite a pain in the arse as it really limits the cars I can drive. You won't believe it but I don't even fit in my mums Magna. Work that out!!! f**kING INSANE

Paul

I'd be looking at an sti for that price.

Sucks about your experience mate. I hope that was all paid by insurance.

Yeah thankfully all paid for by insurance. I have comprehensive and have taken the car to the same panel beater each time (repaier of my choice). And thankfully he is an exceptionally good repairer, so no probs there. I havn't paid an excess, that's paid by the other drivers who were clearly at fault.

Don't mean to sound difficult, but I have a very long torso for my height (ie legs arn't really that long), and I suffer chronic backpain from a car accident 10 years ago (I have an artificial disc and metal plates in my spine), for this reason I need to sit with the seat reasonably upright (I can't slouch AT ALL).

I don't even fit in a 2 door R33 or R34, in my R34 sedan my hair touches the roof.

This is really quite a pain in the arse as it really limits the cars I can drive. You won't believe it but I don't even fit in my mums Magna. Work that out!!! f**kING INSANE

Paul

If you want something with headroom... I'm 6'4, and in a VT commodore, I have a ton of headroom. Sitting up straight.

Much as it kills me to recommend this, for the 20-30 mark, look for a BF XR8 or VZ SS or similar.

$20-30K

What I'd wish for and what I'd be able to get could be quite difficult.

Example:- E36 M3 with 3.2l donk (of '98-'99) + low kms + serviced on time every time + the CSL version is harder to obtain.

sigh...

Here's my "unbiased" recommendation: Stagea! In the s2 C34 model, an AWD with manual is available but if you want RWD it's auto only. Plenty of headroom, and if it's still not enough just throw in some GTR seats.

Oh, and most of your RB25DET Neo parts go straight into the s2 as well - same engine.

XR6 Turbo/ XR8 or a HSV Clubbie, I would keep away from high end euro cars due to parts and servicing costs.

Big power can be made easy with the XR6 T and nothing sounds as good as a big V8.

Lots out there- me, I would go the HSV 6ltr 6 spd Clubbie stock apart from a nice cat back exhaust to give it a nice quite rumble.

Price is too high but I would like to look at this

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=10466926&__sid=12E8700EC1C9&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_YearMade_Int32|1||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0&keywords=&__N=834 1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 1622 713 1561 395 414 246 940 4294964634 898&SearchAction=N&PriceFrom=395&PriceTo=414&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=16&silo=1011

Yeah I don't want a Stagea (don't get wrong their a very good car), but I won't even consider another import because if anyone runs in to me I have to wait eons for the parts to arrive, so it must be an Aust delivered car.

An old M3 could be worth a look, although I think I'd have to be pretty carefull, and only consider one with full BMW service history.

An XR6 or Typhoon could also be worth a look, but I'm not that keen on Australian cars, the Japanese leave us for dead.

Really I just want to keep the R34, as I've spent a fair amount of money on it. It's had a total respray, Tein Coil overs, sway bars, and currently put's out 370rwHP. But having said that it's always off the road waiting for parts as dick heads keep f**king hitting me.

Right now I don't know what the hell to do.

Paul