SAU Community

Track Battle - Calder Park Thunderdome!

R31Nismoid

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HUGE Day today. Great fun and not too much damage from the circuit guys. Drifters at least half the field destroyed i reckon lol.

No timed sessions but a "hand time" i was under 1-min for a lap in the last practice today where i was 1:01 most of the day, pretty happy with that and absolutely awesome running around the dome on a 25 degree angle.

Cannot wait for tomorrow. I believe we start @ 8:30am tomorrow first session. Second session just before lunch. And 3rd session middle of the arvo.

It says on the website gates open at 9am, dont suppose you have a run down of what time the action on track is, i'll be coming but not at 9am, just trying to find out what times each session is, here is all the info the website has:

SUNDAY – GATES OPEN 9AM

Time Attack Competition

Drifting Practice

Time Attack Competition

Drifting Qualifying

Time Attack Competition

Drifting Top 32 Battles

Time Attack Competition

Drifting Top 16 Battles

Time Attack Competition

Drifting Top 8 Battles

Time Attack Competition

Drifting Top 4 Battles

Drifting FINAL Battles

Time Attack Competition

All off-track entertainment

VIP access

Pit Walk

Driver Autograph sessions

Presentations

…and more!

Brett - cannot say tbh. Times were considerably delayed for various reasons so hard to pin point an actual time.

There are at least TWO track based sessions after 11am.

That includes street and tuner class which run for 30-40mins at a time. Maybe more as there will be more cars entered tomorrow with a few SAU-Vic members doing Sun only

From a spectators point of view that was by far the worst event i have ever been to, one shitty little grand stand and then every where else you had to look through a fence trying see to past pit lane with the tents set up and over concrete walls, mean while on the other side of the track where the commentators were standing were hundreds of grand stand seats with a perfect view of all the action but they were not being used, 100% pathetic effort from a spectators stand point, will not be going back next time unless they use the track seating or set up more properly arranged grand stand seating.

Edited by W0rp3D

From a spectators point of view that was by far the worst event i have ever been to, one shitty little grand stand and then every where else you had to look through a fence trying see to past pit lane with the tents set up and over concrete walls, mean while on the other side of the track where the commentators were standing were hundreds of grand stand seats with a perfect view of all the action but they were not being used, 100% pathetic effort from a spectators stand point, will not be going back next time unless they use the track seating or set up more properly arranged grand stand seating.

Agree 100%, shittest thing i've ever been to - me and my mate left after 1 hour. You couldn't see anything just hear it.. seriously was considering asking for my money back

well I had a sucky day mechanically wise.

1/2 the first session.

Anyhow a few pics to make ppl feel better:

SAU represent:

DSC01366.JPG

Johns technique to make sure he does not get overtaken, and here we just thought he was fast.

IMG_2553.JPG

red bus returns:

IMG_2458.JPG

One wonders if Russ if trying to compensate for something with this wing.

that said after being overtaken at speed at sandown the day b4 I have a feeling it is a bit more functional than most

IMG_2503.JPG

our resident rockstar having his interview:

DSC01408.JPG

rest of pics here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100203254234701302909/TrackBattle#

same as usual buzz me if you want full res

100% agree with you. For them not to allow the use of the proper grand stand banked seating was a joke. Would have been an awesome view from there + actual seating...

Dude the thunderdome has been abandoned for years. The "grandstand" is unsafe... literally falling apart with bushes growing between the seats and the concrete slabs breaking up.

Yeah and there are heaps of snakes up there etc.

Calder dont allow the use of the bank for spectators for this reason unfortunately, it wasn't something the event organisers had a say in.

So unfortunately if you werent in the stands you would have struggled with all the tents from the drifters. I didnt realise they all had tents etc. Would have blocked viewing massively :(

From a driver point of view - great event, had an absolute ball - Congrats to Richo who pipped my 58.7 in the last session with a 58.2 of his own. Absolutely balls to the wall driving and great steering indeed.

I'd go back to the Dome for a similar event in a heartbeat. I might even look at trying to run a SAU-Vic event there if people are keen. I think its a really awesome experience.