SAU Community

Suspecting Gearbox Problems

Sage222

not going against what your saying, but ive been tod by ALOT of trans auto joints that its not bad to overfill by a little, and that a lot of trans joints actually overfill

That's cool, most trans places will also tell you Dextron III is okay for the RE5 trans.

Just forwarding on what I have experienced with mine in that past :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kewish overfilled mine knowing I was going to put a cooler on which would suck half a litre out. They also filled it with Dextron III as the clutches have been replaced with aftermarket. I wouldn't recommend Dextron with a stock gearbox though, its probably why mine blew in the first place.

Why is that though? Dextron would kill the gearbox, but Matic J/S dont.

And the Nulon and Valvoline trans fluids are Dextron III and Matic J compatible?

Just curious... Seems kind of strange...

Sure, I get that, but if Dextron III is so deadly, how can you use something which is compatible with it and Matic J? You wouldnt get an engine oil which was 25w60 but compatible with 10w40?

The clutch friction material doesn't like it, mine used to flare to redline on the freeway occasionally at part throttle, then be fine for a while. The valve body is setup for a particular grade and friction and anything outside that may cause issues. Once you get your valve body modified it "may" be ok to use but i'm not guaranteeing it.

That's cool, most trans places will also tell you Dextron III is okay for the RE5 trans.

Just forwarding on what I have experienced with mine in that past :)

thats true. mine is just above the line while the car is hot and on, with the trans cooler. i havnt had any problems, but yeh i can see what you mean.

• 6 months later...

rebirth of an old thread :) about to do my oil change. So Matic S is the way to go? i have called Nissan they say they have never heard of it.. lol. They only stock Matic J. $70 for 5L. (btw i did try a search though i cant put "matic s" as the s breaks it as being too small! - i put in Matic though got way too much irrelvant stuff)

Anyone know where i can get some Matic S from or some something equivalent?

So will need 5L for the box and another 5 for a flush?

Thanks for your help gents.

Edited by Sage222

Matic J is the way to go. You'll need 2x 5 L for the full gearbox / Converter (will have a little left over). From memory mine was ~$60 for 5 litres.

Matic D is to be avoided.

Nulon full synth is also an option. I didn't use it.

I used Matic-J, it actually ended up being cheaper to buy 2x5 (10 litres) and end up with a litre odd spare, than to buy 3x4 (12 litres) of Nulon and end up with 3 litres spare.

Matic J is the way to go. You'll need 2x 5 L for the full gearbox / Converter (will have a little left over). From memory mine was ~$60 for 5 litres.

Matic D is to be avoided.

Nulon full synth is also an option. I didn't use it.

Used Nulon in my M35 for years (about 140,000kms)... with and without coolers and no issues with the trans.

Will be used in the PNM35 when it rolls up.

Also use it in the wife's 380 (and "Ol' Reliable" - 2003 Magna), both of which are notoriously hard on trans fluids, without issue.

Matic D is effectively Dextron III.

Matic J is a semi synthetic fluid

Matic S is a 100% synthetic fluid and is the replacement for Matic J.

You should be able to get Matic S from the US without a prob if you want that.

I can't believe that we still have Matic J in Aus. Typical of Nissan Australia I guess.

You will need to disconnect a cooler line to get all the fluid out. I imagine in principle its similar to tC34:

Dropping the sump on the auto box will only yield around 1 or 2 litres but at least then you can clean the fiter (its steel) and pan and then put it back together. then take off a hose from the transmssion oil cooler and run the engine until you have collected a couple of litres. Stop the engine and pour 2L of new atf down the dipstick (for the auto trans ) and repeat til the oil comes out clean. Could take 10 to 12 Litres.

would it work if you pulled the cooler pipes off, chuck a bit of hose onto the return point on the trans

you new hose goes into the new bottle of oil, the return goes into the bucket/oil pan

then run the car with someone watching the new bottle

so it sucks up clean stuff and spits the old stuff into the waste bucket/pan

It won't suck up the clean fluid. It is a pressure pump at the start of the circuit not a vacuum pump at the end.

It forces fluid from the sump, through the cooler circuit and returns it to the sump with essentially no pressure.

If you invert the bottle you have the clean fluid in (gravity feed) it will all run into the sump; you will have no way to control how much goes in.

Just pump out a couple of litres at a time and pour in the same.

Edited by Daleo

It won't suck up the clean fluid. It is a pressure pump at the start of the circuit not a vacuum pump at the end.

It forces fluid from the sump, through the cooler circuit and returns it to the sump with essentially no pressure.

If you invert the bottle you have the clean fluid in (gravity feed) it will all run into the sump; you will have no way to control how much goes in.

Just pump out a couple of litres at a time and pour in the same.

Lol, OK, there's a reason why it won't work. But it sounded so damn logical..