SAU Community

Pnm35 Build Thread

PN-Mad

It was out of SAS's league, what makes you think they can do it? Even the Japanese have only hacked the fuel and timing maps afaik.

I have gone down a different route anyway, not looking for an ecu hack now as for years I have been let down. The HKS will be going in when I get back from Qld.

Back on topic....

Pushed my car into the fabication place today - Yipee!!banana.gif

Pics of engine bay- (sorry for quality - only had old nokia phone)

6723605427_bbefc6ffeb.jpg

6723605763_7ee73b5f2f.jpg

now with engine cover....

6723606025_5d41152369.jpg

It was out of SAS's league, what makes you think they can do it? Even the Japanese have only hacked the fuel and timing maps afaik.

I have gone down a different route anyway, not looking for an ecu hack now as for years I have been let down. The HKS will be going in when I get back from Qld.

I never said they "could" do it but seeing as they are both electronic engineers in software and hardware and developed Nistune, I thought I'd ask if they are planning on having a look to make it easier for us all.

Engine bay looking good PN-Mad

Edited by slippylotion

Intercooler is crooked.

(Hey! So I'm a little OCD...)

Must've been Craig's fault :P

It is crooked- but as you know, if you want it straight, you'd have to chop out more of the FRP bar- thus reducing strength. I'm happy for it to be a bit crooked, cause I'll never see it behind the front bar!

Nah, no extra chopping... just pick a lower hole for the bracket (near bonnet clip) to be bolted into.

Then the other two wouldn't fit....anyway- not OCD with things I can't see!

How long did your mate drive it around without a tune? Did you do anything to help the engine?

I'm planing to remove 2 degrees static timing (the limit of what I can do without the flash software) and maybe get the bigger fuel pump in there to give the injectors a bit more room up top. Just in case you know.

He is still driving it around without a tune... although the BCM is letting go so he has intermittent wipers when it is dry and none when it rains (lol!) among other electrical eccentricities.

Have one coming in so should be back to normal in less than 2 weeks, but has had no mechanical issue at all.

Only other thing that was done was a Race Radiators custom radiator installed at the same time.

Update: Fabrication of the Intercooler piping, and exhaust are COMPLETED banana.gif

Happy with the result - the turbo outlet to pipe is amazing- I'll get some pics up in the coming days. I hope to hear its voice tomorrow, with the remainder of things being assembled/plumbed/filled/tightened etc.

The HKS GT-II External Wastegate controls the boost. It has a 0.35BAR/ 5psi (supposedly) spring inside. This functions as the boost control. It will be tuned at that level, and once everything is sorted and any problems figured out, then I propose using a manual boost tee of some form to run no more than 0.5BAR. That is considered the safe max for the stock block, and nets good power, however I have see stock blocks with 10 or 12 psi holding up on the US sites.

Edited by PN-Mad

Depends a lot on where you measure the pressure I think.

I have a feeling it will end up at about that level too, but we'll just have to see.

Meh, 7psi?

Get some e85 in the tank and dont put too much timing in, you should be able to push it to 1 bar no problem. :banana:

Update: Fabrication of the Intercooler piping, and exhaust are COMPLETED banana.gif

Happy with the result - the turbo outlet to pipe is amazing- I'll get some pics up in the coming days. I hope to hear its voice tomorrow, with the remainder of things being assembled/plumbed/filled/tightened etc.

Where are the pics?

Meh, 7psi?

Get some e85 in the tank and dont put too much timing in, you should be able to push it to 1 bar no problem. :banana:

15psi on a stock VQ35 bottom end?

Think it'll take more than fancy fuel to keep it alive, but feel free to put your spare VQ35de in your car and let us know hit it goes Buddy. :P

Where are the pics?

15psi on a stock VQ35 bottom end?

Think it'll take more than fancy fuel to keep it alive, but feel free to put your spare VQ35de in your car and let us know hit it goes Buddy. :P

Im sure a lot of the feedback on rod strength from the US is just bad tuning. Too much timing and det is what kills rods not boost, E85 will help with both issues.

I guess my motor is just super strong right? Even though the rods look very similar in size? The amount of times I have heard "dont run more than 20psi" or "dont use a p1ggyback computer" now it just makes me smile. :whistling:

x2 bad tuning kills em.

If you get det, in-cylinder pressures might go from 1000psi to 2000-2500psi suddenly, if this happens BTDC then Mr Rod has huge stresses on it.

As long as you make sure that peak cylinder pressures are reached 8-20 deg ATDC you make best power, so if the tuner doesn't get too cute with advancing things beyond the ability of the fuel to produce a smooth flame front then there is no reason you can't stuff more boost in.

x2 bad tuning kills em.

If you get det, in-cylinder pressures might go from 1000psi to 2000-2500psi suddenly, if this happens BTDC then Mr Rod has huge stresses on it.

As long as you make sure that peak cylinder pressures are reached 8-20 deg ATDC you make best power, so if the tuner doesn't get too cute with advancing things beyond the ability of the fuel to produce a smooth flame front then there is no reason you can't stuff more boost in.

QFT.

The main benefit of ethanol being it burns slower than 98, right through the crank's downward travel. Thats where the extra torque comes from.

I hope you have a good tuna picked out... :whistling: