SAU Community

Pnm35 Build Thread

PN-Mad

Will you be working at "The House of Stagea" tomorow? Might see if I can nip down for a perve...:whistling:

yup....he will be there...I have a couple of small projects on the run I want to finish and I'm sure his Aric wants to bolt all his bits back on.

yup....he will be there...I have a couple of small projects on the run I want to finish and I'm sure his Aric wants to bolt all his bits back on.

Fairy Muff... I'll give you a bell tomorrow.:thumbsup:

Its a great idea Dale, but there is stuff all room there. I'm running about 4 or 5 hoses in the area already.

What I really need to know is does it matter being before or after the AFM?

Ideally you want the BOV as close to the throttle body as possible and certainly between the afm and the throttle body.

The pulses reversing through the AFM would almost certainly cause issues.

1327738925[/url]' post='6207971']

Ideally you want the BOV as close to the throttle body as possible and certainly between the afm and the throttle body.

The pulses reversing through the AFM would almost certainly cause issues.

Yeah, that's the conventional thinking. Thing is, I has no bov now, and it doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects other than the comp surge. Nil afm issues. The afm will only read in one direction.

That's why I'm a bit puzzled.

because your afm is in the cooler pipe you can actually have an atmo bov if you wanted to, so long as its on the pressureised side of the Turbo (duh) and pre afm

At this position the afm hasn't metered the air yet so loosing it to atmo doesn't matter

You could also put a recirc bov here, or after the afm, but a recirc bov is probably best after the afm to prevent reversion and air going backwards through the afm on closed throttle

Yeah, that's the conventional thinking. Thing is, I has no bov now, and it doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects other than the comp surge. Nil afm issues. The afm will only read in one direction.

That's why I'm a bit puzzled.

So was there a question about where to locate it or are you happy with how the car runs? The reason you want it close the throttle is to release the pressure as early as possible to shorten the pressure wave. There are lots of cars that have the BOV located somewhere further away and it works but it is not ideal. Conventional thinking is there for a reason.

Last I checked pulses of air moving across the afm element, changes the afm voltage regardless of direction.

So was there a question about where to locate it or are you happy with how the car runs? The reason you want it close the throttle is to release the pressure as early as possible to shorten the pressure wave. There are lots of cars that have the BOV located somewhere further away and it works but it is not ideal. Conventional thinking is there for a reason.

Last I checked pulses of air moving across the afm element, changes the afm voltage regardless of direction.

Conventional thinking doesn't have the AFM 300mm from the TB and the intake about 1800mm from that. The afm is not designed to pick up air travelling in the opposite direction, it would be very much shielded from the path of the air reversed, thats what I figure when I look at the thing. At the moment I can't say there is any ill effects in driveability because of the air backing up, just the comp flutter, which is actually a little milder that what I initially thought.

If it was going to be easy, I'd put it before the AFM, problem is I have very little space there anymore.

Scotty, I do care about the noise. In Sydney run a external BOV and your classed as full hektic- bend over and get ready for the po po.... Funny thing is with the flutter, they would think its a BOV anyway.

Edited by PN-Mad

6780356387_788a58afbe.jpg

Cam, Below is what I had to do to the Fnt bar. nothing drastic - just one cl ip to go, and a bit of sanding to clear the top cooler pipe.

6780354307_91071caa03.jpg

6780352443_32e2dc6f2f.jpg

6780350463_d012e32a03.jpg

All done!

I'll get some underneath pics, just have to get it up the ramps!

Conventional thinking doesn't have the AFM 300mm from the TB and the intake about 1800mm from that.

Scotty, I do care about the noise. In Sydney run a external BOV and your classed as full hektic- bend over and get ready for the po po.... Funny thing is with the flutter, they would think its a BOV anyway.

Looks really neat Alex. Well done to all involved thus far.

What does HKS suggest re BOV, if anything? Surely they gave detailed engineering info, like how they acheived their design criteria for a truly bolt-on/no mods necessary kit such as yours, lol.

And you don't strike me as the fully hektic type that goes around looking for trouble. I'm sure there's a solution somewhere...

Cam, Below is what I had to do to the Fnt bar. nothing drastic - just one cl ip to go, and a bit of sanding to clear the top cooler pipe.

6780354307_91071caa03.jpg

6780352443_32e2dc6f2f.jpg

Thanks Alex. I was wondering how far the grill came back to the intercooler recently actually.

Oh, and nice little shroud/box for the pod, any point to the stock air funnel now though? are you going to route air from it to the pod?

No point really to the duct. Its not in there now. The pod gets heaps of fresh air from below, through the grill, and up near the wheel arch.

The shroud? Well, thats a custom M35 Garage HKS pro dealer part. ph34r.gif

Craig has taken to writing HKS on various things on my car now. I have to say the bracket he made up for the trans cooler is a work of art.

Edited by PN-Mad