SAU Community

“Rbn1” R32 Gtr - 7 Years In Storage – Time To Restore And Rebuild.

• 1 month later...

Dunno why I didn't get this done first time around. Been old and scratched since I got it. Fiddly and lot of prep, covering everything but worth it.

Satin Black. Drivers side, section done. Passenger side, firewall and radiator support still to do.

136AC0E4-5DD4-47E8-A945-596F2731A8E1_zps

6EDC9421-1C87-4A89-BB1F-8A85E6B05DEF_zps

76C865AD-4337-41E1-BF08-418F93FB2CC1_zps

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

First update for 2016 - haven't neglected the car totally.

Baby steps...

Found a nice clean windscreen washer bottle in my parts bin to replace the ageing yellow one.

image2_zpskqgddttk.jpg

More importantly got busy with the rest of the engine bay and finally finished it all.

image1%201_zpso4yuwt3s.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsqawnc9cg.jpg

Didn't think there was much difference in the final result until, I did an A to B comparison.

image1_zpspatlhcoj.jpg

So much time spent taking all the little clips and bits off and putting them back on....

A few +1's cleaned up too -

Painted in Satin Black : Transmission tunnel, injector resistor pack and bonnet stand

Painted in Gloss Black : Power steering reservoir.

The clips for the ABS lines will be replaced with brand new items I have here.

Next stop - paint & fit genuine Nismo rear pods.

• Like 1

i love this shit! end result looks great. really cleans up the look of the bay. i did my strut tops recently but i didnt pull out as much as you did.

i also repainted my battery tray area as it was full of battery acid and surface rust. so much cleaner now.

• Like 1

I was in Racepace for my first time ever Tuesday just been if Im correct, I believe your car was there, looks great mate top job

Hi mate,

nope wasn't mine :)

Still finishing little bits and pieces off slowly at home before giving it back to them.

Photo%2020-02-2016%209%2049%2044%20AM_zp

Speaking of finishes touches. Replaced the A-clamps for the hydraulic lines that go on the firewall, with nice new replacement items.

Checkout the colour difference between an old one and a new item. I've noticed 34R's have the same issue now that they're getting up there as well.

Photo%2020-02-2016%209%2045%2001%20AM_zp

There's just something very satisfying about putting brand new, oem bits in....

Photo%2023-02-2016%202%2033%2034%20PM_zp

Engine bay almost complete. Just have to clean up the replacement overflow bottle before putting it back in.

Photo%2020-02-2016%2012%2031%2026%20PM_z

Although the worn out paint on top of the headlights are now seriously bothering me. Anyone repainted their ones? If so what gloss high temp paint did you use?

I may wait until the motor is back in before getting this done. That way I can use the headlights to heat up and harden the paint.

Genuine Nismo rear rods painted. The only rubber Nismo body items for a 32R that don't suck.

Photo%2020-02-2016%209%2024%2055%20AM_zp

Am really glad I got my hands on these genuine items. Now to fit the suckers......

• Like 3

Sunday - "Complete The +1's Session"

Decided to try satin black for the top of the headlights.

IMG_0738_zpsfmvenpkl.jpg

Came out pretty close to the standard colour.

Note I didn't take off all the old paint before spraying and one headlight, the paint bubbled up , and had to be re-done. So if you're going to try this, rub down the old paint, as you'll find it's just barely on there after so many years of heat.

IMG_0748_zpsjthq1otc.jpg

Fixing all the little things like this makes a noticeable difference. Much neater. The GKTech air deflector and front grill are now calling out to me.

IMG_0744_zpsw8g8fvvg.jpg

Cam Covers Packed and sent off to be powder coated. Lets see how I go with this.

unnamed_zpsetbtgwva.jpg

Engine bay will look a lot better when the motor goes in this time around.

Image-1_zpspqcx1xrr.jpg

• Like 1

Also got around to fitting the genuine Nismo rear pods

IMG_0726_zpsd0ulax3w.jpg

Felt like ground hog day doing this again.

Genuine items being rubber however are easier to fit and reach all the way to the rear bar unlike what the copies did.

IMG_0727_zpsytx2jyj5.jpg

Hard to tell the difference from these photos but they also mold a lot better around the body, being rubber.

IMG_0732_zpsdousvrmn.jpg

• Like 4

Just read all 24 pages from start to finish in the last two days.. Awesome thread!

Can't wait to see the engine back in that nice new bay :D

Keep up the good work man, love the thread

• 3 weeks later...

Also got around to fitting the genuine Nismo rear pods

IMG_0726_zpsd0ulax3w.jpg

Felt like ground hog day doing this again.

Genuine items being rubber however are easier to fit and reach all the way to the rear bar unlike what the copies did.

IMG_0727_zpsytx2jyj5.jpg

Hard to tell the difference from these photos but they also mold a lot better around the body, being rubber.

IMG_0732_zpsdousvrmn.jpg

shivam, what did you use to attach these? sikaflex or double sided tape?

shivam, what did you use to attach these? sikaflex or double sided tape?

Hi mate,
3M Automotive double sided tape. Also 3 screws that go into the OEM locations, two in the wheel arch, behind the rear wheel and one underneath.
I've found the 3M tape to be more than enough. I had to cut the doubel sided tape used on the previous fibreglass copies with sharp guitar strings as it wouldn't come off without breaking the pods straight off.