SAU Community

Gasket Recommendations

I am after people’s opinions and recommendations for head gasket, intake manifold gasket and exhaust manifold gasket.

They are to suit a RB25DET/RB30 build, the intake manifold is going to be a custom made one, and the exhaust manifold is a sinco custom.

I am thinking either a cometic or permaseal, or is there another option I should be looking at? I am keen to hear people’s experiences and thoughts.

I have a Tomei steel head gasket. the advantage is I have been able to remove the head and replace it twice using the same gasket. I see no reason why cheaper ones shouldn't be perfectly satisfactory though.

My experience with the OEM plenum gasket is that it leaks when you start running over a bar of boost, like a whining fart. :yes:

Edited by AngryRBGTX

My experience with the OEM plenum gasket is that it leaks when you start running over a bar of boost, like a whining fart. :yes:

20psi going through mine. Are these the plenum to runners? Are yours metal?

Yeah, the thick rubber gasket, i have the stock manifold and now im going to try a cosmetic gasket

It was fine with the small highflow at 18psi but the GTX3076 with 18psi and it leaked, then with a new OEM gasket it leaked again.

Edited by AngryRBGTX

More time to add to previous post

Nitto_logo.jpg

SAU Trader JDM Auto Link http://www.jdmautolink.com/p/nitto.html

Get good prices. Check the gasket kits out

I run JE/Nitto Pistons, Oil Pump, Drag Metal head & In/Ex Gaskets in my built 26

Overkill for my current power level, but I wont take the risk of another rebuild :no: and ready if I feel the need .....

Small investment compared to an engine rebuild. Not much compared to what your going to spend during your rebuild either.

OEM if your not chasing big power and running large boost

My engine builder built one of the first 1,000hp Rb26 engines in Aust many years ago using a OEM head gaskit with no issues.

I normally use Tomei but the builder insisted on OEM for his own reasons, 21 psi and 3 years later haven't had a problem.

if you think you're going to be pulling the engine back apart, use mls(multi layered steel) gaskets.

can be had in a couple of brands.

tomei

cometic

nitto

nismo

im using a cometic mls headgasket.

and I have now reused it after spinning bearings and needing a rebuild.

in saying that, im also using oem for the rest of the gaskets throughout.

if you want to support Australian business, go with nitto.

im pretty sure they are an Australian company.

and from what ive heard, they are very good with aftersales support.

either way, good luck with your build.

Only use a steel shim gasket if your having the block and head shaved so that it is flat. Be sure to spray the gasket both sides with 2 coats of hylomar when installing it. Otherise you'll end up with water in oil of vis-versa.

You can't beat an OEM gasket for seal of fluids. The OEM gasket will absorb 3 times the amount of surface variation of a shim gasket. If you combine this with o-ringing the cylinder block, head studs and a propper tune, it will handle all the boost you can throw at it.

Im using an OEM gasket, setup with extra crush on the fire ring (o-ring style) and am running 1.75kg/cm boost. I've had it up to 2kg/cm but have run out of fuel at around 5500 rpm. A problem soon to be resolved with a bigger fuel system.