SAU Community

Bomb Proofing Gtr Powertrain

im building a custom car with a r33 GTR powertrain and a full built rb26 check out my other 2 threads to see what im building and spec. My question is how should i go about building a very strong drive line. Im planning on a exedy twin clutch, all axles and drive shaft are custom built buy driveshaft.com and can handle more power then ill ever have. the rear diff is a stock r32 gtr lsd ill have the LSD rebuilt. the front diff is stock and ill be puting in a LSD. Now the center diff how strong is it ? is there a up grade kit or something that im not aware of? and the transmission i heard that 3rd gear is weak so is there a trany upgrade kit to fix this or do i just have to bit the bullet and buy a race trans like OS Giken? I do have a great transmission builder so a up grade would be no problem. Ill just be smooth on the powertrain till its fully upgraded but i want to be able to run it hard on the track with slick mainly race track but some drag racing. any help or advice with this would be great and if there are some treads i have not read please sent me links Thanks

You can get gearsets from PPG, PAR, Hollinger, OS Giken, etc.

You can get Quaife and Nismo front LSD.

No idea on centre diff, but I'm guessing you'll be running oil coolers for diffs and gearbox?

Grab a Hollinger 6 speed sequential :D

yes ill be running rear diff cooler and ill have to look into a tranny cooler never heard of one. you think it would be a good idea to run a front diff cooler as well?

Auto Gallery Yokohama gearsets (rebuilt boxes)....

these guys in Japan do stronger gearsets and transfer boxes.

Also possibly Dodsons in Auckland NZ for transfer case.

Am I missing something?

GTR's don't run a centre diff unless you're building a special transfer case using parts from some constant 4WD?

That's the thing... They don't, as you know. :D

Always helps to know the basic mechanics of the car you are building before you go asking for quotes.. I'm sure any workshop would be happy to charge for a 'centre diff' and the send you some metal in a box.

That's the thing... They don't, as you know. :D

Always helps to know the basic mechanics of the car you are building before you go asking for quotes.. I'm sure any workshop would be happy to charge for a 'centre diff' and the send you some metal in a box.

WOW really.....ok fine a transfer case ,ATESSA just abbreviating

Edited by saulogy

Try this, google the difference between a centre diff and a transfer case. These guys know the car mate, it's clear your mechanical knowledge is a little way behind theirs. As for "bomb proofing" a gtr powertrain, put at least 40k aside. That's if you want to really do it properly. Lonefield billet cv's, billet driveshafts, carbon props hafts, hollinger sequential gearbox, quaife diffs front and rear, gts4 crown wheel and pinions, modified sump and front diff housing. Then you need to look at clutches, it gets out of control as while you make one thing stronger it creates another weak link in the chain.

There is GENUINELY bomb proofing as you say, then there is sensible strengthening of components

i want to be able to run it hard on the track with slick mainly race track but some drag racing. any help or advice with this would be great and if there are some treads i have not read please sent me links Thanks

if $$$ is not a problem sure knock yourself out but if $$$ is not infinite, then maybe u should plan on reasonable upgrades. Why pay for a part that can take 2000hp when u will only ever have 1000hp unless of course the price is the same then by all means.

u can make a car fast and reliable without spending exorbitant amounts of $$... :)

WOW really.....ok fine a  transfer case ,ATESSA     just abbreviating

Pretty big difference between a transfer case and a diff!

To do it on the cheap, properly, you're still looking at least 12k in diffs, clutch, transfer case, gearbox.

That's not taking into account axles, driveshaft or anything else.