SAU Community

Hyprocrisy's A Bitch Ain't It - "the Truth About Kilometers"

Just to chime in..

The Car's KM's are definitely taken down when de-registered.

Every Customer's cert I have seen as a deregistration odo-check done ; a month before the Planned Date of Export on the Certificate.

Of course no one would ever dream of rewinding the odometer to match the kms at the last shaken, prior to dereg....

These certificates should not be relied upon as the bible, as essentially your buying a used vehicle from another country.

They should merely be a gauge to identify if there has been significant windback.

Of course, the critics would argue that I drove my GT-R and wound it back.

And there is nothing to say that might not be a case.

Remember, you are buying a Used Vehicle ; there is always a risk being taken in your purchase.

These certificates should not be relied upon as the bible, as essentially your buying a used vehicle from another country.

They should merely be a gauge to identify if there has been significant windback.

Of course, the critics would argue that I drove my GT-R and wound it back.

And there is nothing to say that might not be a case.

Remember, you are buying a Used Vehicle ; there is always a risk being taken in your purchase.

This is true ... until they use it as a selling tool. Buy this "Low" Km version of such car.

Yes definitely this is not the be all and end all when it comes to car inspection but it will add to the car.

I'd rather buy a 15 year old car with 200,000 on the odo than 100,000...

That said, ignore the mileage...get the engine tested and check the rest of the car for wear. Jap cars on the whole are quite reliable; if these things check out okay then they will usually last you a very long time.

• Like 1

As an import broker, I completely agree with you mate. When looking at cars over 10 years old, the reading on the odometer is really the last thing I consider. However I can tell you that the vast majority of people we source cars for are hugely caught up on the kms showing on the dash. And even absolute dungers going through auction will fetch big dollars often purely on the basis of those kms.

My old white R34 GT-R was a perfect example. People turned their noses up at it because it had 112000kms on it. Yet it was one of the cleanest, straightest examples I've seen. Inside and out. The engine was strong and healthy, the gearbox was the tightest, nicest getrag I'd driven.

The problem is there are also punters who will turn a blind eye to it, even though they know the odometer has been hit.

Just as an aside, why aren't dealers compelled to list VINs in their ads in the same way private advertisers are?? I've only just noticed this.

As an import broker, I completely agree with you mate. When looking at cars over 10 years old, the reading on the odometer is really the last thing I consider. However I can tell you that the vast majority of people we source cars for are hugely caught up on the kms showing on the dash. And even absolute dungers going through auction will fetch big dollars often purely on the basis of those kms.

My old white R34 GT-R was a perfect example. People turned their noses up at it because it had 112000kms on it. Yet it was one of the cleanest, straightest examples I've seen. Inside and out. The engine was strong and healthy, the gearbox was the tightest, nicest getrag I'd driven.

This exactly! Hit the nail on the head for me. You can find much cleaner cars with more kms on them then others. It comes down to the individual car and how it is. Hence selling/buying a car based purely on the odo reading is not going to get you the best car for the money. And this point can definitely be seen within our community :)

It might be old news but it seems that VINs are also being shopped around.

Heres a link to both an R34 GTR and an R33 GTS with the same VIN listed.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Nissan-Skyline-1999/AGC-AD-13827143/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:i1dlTb9TNOAJ:www.autoweb.com.au/cms/usedcars/make_Nissan/sortBy_Price/otherModel_SKYLINE/results_TRUE/ID_D_2036601/vehicle.html+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

I also screen captured it in case its not linked properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I work at Bespoke, (formally known as Import Factory, name changed due to Euro and local cars)

This was a mistake made by the salesman who put up the ad, as we have another one in Japan that is red also and only has 95000kms on it, he mixed it up. We offer ORIGIONAL Deregistration certs. and auction reports on all Imported Vehicles, so why would we do something like this. The mistake was fixed in minutes once we were notified!!

We offer a service to check your KMS, http://www.bespokeinc.com.au/index.php/tools/odometerhistory

why would we do this? And how could we fix this straight away if the speedo had been tampered with? (the ad was updated with a pic of the auction report and a pic of the dash displaying KMS)

Maybe it was a genuine mistake? Seems pretty stupid that a company would go to such extreme lengths to give themselves a good name and then do something like this. Either way well spotted.

This Is Our New car coming in soon. The Red Tommi Mak with 95,000kms.

1336auctionreport.jpg

This is the car which our other Red Evo was confused with.

Whenever we advertise a car we try to put VIN numbers because we have nothing to hide.

We guarantee our kilometers with all our imports unless they have been traded in by a customer.

We don't hold any consignment stock, so you'll never get an excuse "We didn't know, It wasn't out car"

All dealers claiming that the Japanese dealers / suppliers wind back kms are liars!

In my experience (since 1999) the Japanese don't like doing this and only do it when requested by Australian dealers.

As you can see on the report we purchase our vehicles from a reputable supplier who has been in the industry for more than 20 years. (Hiewa AUto)

They will not under any circumstances tamper with speedo's!