SAU Community

Duncan's Race Car - The Most Overdue Build Thread On Sau

Duncan

On 17/08/2022 at 9:16 PM, Duncan said:

a little more seriously, I can't believe SAU is 20 this year. And, like this thread says, I've had the race car for 17 years (and about 17 engines....). 

Sounds like a sickness.......🤣

I'm 57, work lets me retire at 55 but I'm pushing through to 60 which is compulsory retirement

My only concern is living long enough to retire so I can spend the kids inheritance

And you are only ever as old as the woman you are feeling.......so I'm still feeling pretty old.....🥴.......

Bless her patience 

• Like 3

Is this a case of age shaming? I am even older than Neil.

The best part of being retired is that my only job in life is to play with my family of Skylines, Cimas and a Stagea.

• Like 5

On 8/18/2022 at 9:42 AM, The Bogan said:

Sounds like a sickness.......🤣

I'm 57, work lets me retire at 55 but I'm pushing through to 60 which is compulsory retirement

My only concern is living long enough to retire so I can spend the kids inheritance

And you are only ever as old as the woman you are feeling.......so I'm still feeling pretty old.....🥴.......

Bless her patience 

Got to find that niche job to get you where you want to be. Good effort still being in, only a short time to go.
Finding a good one is hard.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:05 PM, Victory said:

Is this a case of age shaming? I am even older than Neil.

The best part of being retired is that my only job in life is to play with my family of Skylines, Cimas and a Stagea.

No, interesting who is still using the forums.
That sounds like a great retirement.

On 18/08/2022 at 8:16 AM, Duncan said:

lol kids.

I'm watching 50 steaming towards me. Neil is too old to find his keyboard to answer.

Listen here you young whipper-snapper, just because I'm just over 62 doesn't mean it's time to include me in your piss taking games. I remember what a keyboard is, just let find my glasses and, oh there they are, see I can use one. Now why did I walk into the kitchen, wait it will come to me soon.

Just keep in mind, I'm the oldest owner of a single Skyline on SAU.

• Haha 1

On 23/08/2022 at 5:39 PM, Neil said:

Listen here you young whipper-snapper, just because I'm just over 62 doesn't mean it's time to include me in your piss taking games. I remember what a keyboard is, just let find my glasses and, oh there they are, see I can use one. Now why did I walk into the kitchen, wait it will come to me soon.

#Humbla

You were beaten by a girl

😎

On 18/8/2022 at 8:16 AM, Duncan said:

lol kids.

I'm watching 50 steaming towards me. Neil is too old to find his keyboard to answer.

No old people can always wind their keyboard it’s attached to their computer with a cable because they can’t figure out how to pair a wireless keyboard to it

• Haha 1

On 23/08/2022 at 5:09 PM, Neil said:

I reckon my old man has that record with the white 32 GTR. 78 in November, although technically on SAU through me.

IMG_20200612_165322_9.thumb.jpg.505a1317cef1248fe6311dc9975281d2.jpg

In other news, Duncan is this for real ? Just seen news about Wakefield Park ?

https://autoaction.com.au/2022/08/19/wakefield-park-to-shut-the-gates-september-1st

Yeah Wakefield had been regularly breaching their noise rules for about 10 years but everyone was turning a blind eye until Wakie submitted a DA to expand late last year. At that point Council had to request community input and received a whole bunch of evidence that Wakie had been regularly breaking the previous conditions so Council approved the DA but with updated noise conditions.

Wakie were unhappy with that result so they appealed to Land and Environment court who found that Council had been too lenient, and applied even tougher conditions. Wakie are saying they can't operate under those conditions so are ceasing operation. Cluster f**k from start to finish, and the problem for Wakie and Council now is that neither of them can override the court decision, so they are jointly looking for state rule changes to help.

I assume a bunch of rich arseholes will just buy it as a private track and use it once a month (which is allowed under the court ruling, just not more often)

Bring on electric car racing, because if motorsport has to be obnoxiously loud to exist, it will get shut down everywhere. If you want to listen to engine noises all day buy a set of headphones.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No oil surge on an electric motor....  Yeah the sound/rawness/blah blah blah of ICE engines but once leccy cars are affordable people are going to lose their minds how fast and smooth they are.  Handling is nuts too because of such a low centre of gravity. 

A little to hate but a lot to love.  Hard to see where tinkerers like us dinosaurs are going to get our kicks though.....

On 8/24/2022 at 1:35 PM, Shoota_77 said:

No oil surge on an electric motor....  Yeah the sound/rawness/blah blah blah of ICE engines but once leccy cars are affordable people are going to lose their minds how fast and smooth they are.  Handling is nuts too because of such a low centre of gravity. 

A little to hate but a lot to love.  Hard to see where tinkerers like us dinosaurs are going to get our kicks though.....

Suspension tuning, weight reduction, aero, brake bias, tyre choice, data management, actually tinkering with the packs etc etc etc 

Will be ace (as someone who has built a 16s 48v pack + PV setup for home :D

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2022 at 1:35 PM, Shoota_77 said:

As someone whos work just ran an EV drive / circuit day, I can tell you now, EV racing has quite a few issues to overcome.

Main one being batteries dislike heat. Heat occurs from high current draw. High current draw is need for all the zoom zooms... 

Also, Polestar2 drive really nicely in a sporty manner... brakes need some work though... ... ...

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 7:41 AM, robbo_rb180 said:

Yeah better than the matching number vin, engine and screws crowd .

I'm 37 feel much older when I have to deal with under 30 crowd 😂😅

Think may have to move part of this discussion to Wasteland so @Duncan get on with his build thread.

Ha! Old f**ker! :P

Im 35. Hahaha

• Like 1

On 24/08/2022 at 10:03 AM, BK said:

I reckon my old man has that record with the white 32 GTR. 78 in November, although technically on SAU through me.

IMG_20200612_165322_9.thumb.jpg.505a1317cef1248fe6311dc9975281d2.jpg

In other news, Duncan is this for real ? Just seen news about Wakefield Park ?

https://autoaction.com.au/2022/08/19/wakefield-park-to-shut-the-gates-september-1st

Sorry Ben, let me re-phrase that, I would have to be the longest single ownership person of a Skyline on SAU, Invoice date 06/09/2001.

• Like 2

On 26/08/2022 at 2:20 PM, Neil said:

Sorry Ben, let me re-phrase that, I would have to be the longest single ownership person of a Skyline on SAU, Invoice date 06/09/2001.

Yep beat me, got my 33 GTR in mid 2003.

Sucks about Wakefield Park for you guys

On 26/08/2022 at 2:50 PM, Neil said:

On 26/08/2022 at 3:19 PM, BK said:

Yep beat me, got my 33 GTR in mid 2003.

Sucks about Wakefield Park for you guys

What sort of dollars were they back then?  They were probably still at the upper end of the scale then before they plummeted back to the $25K mark before flying back up to where they are currently? 

lol we paid $40k for our R33 GTST in 2000....was a beautiful condition, 3 years old blue one.

can't remember what I sold it for, but not much. Either way, at $$ per track day it was a bargain :)

On 26/08/2022 at 2:50 PM, Neil said:

mate, there would be new skylines owners on these forums from American that weren't even born then...