SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Also, I'd take 20 year old nissan manufacturing over most builds any day... Al has had to have his built 3 times now aswell, as has Dean.

Yes, this is the power of a decade of hindsight and knowledge of what happens to others, a much larger sample size than 1. In theory, a proper rebuild should be fine.

There's also the argument of how long or what better durability you actually get from a rebuilt 350RWKW engine. I don't think any amount of forged parts or expert assembly can get you 300,000kms at 350RWKW, it doesn't seem like that would be a reasonable expectation anyway.

Or what would happen if you got a forged build and then only drove it like a regular road car, then saw how it looked/lasted 300,000kms. There's not really enough data for it.

Race cars build race engines and they make 500hp or what have you, and they last four laps on a track every now and then. Whats that, 15kms per rebuild? Expecting a 2.5L to make 200,000 track kms just because FORGED is a bit much.

Still would be nice to last more than 500kms of street driving. ;)

Mine still going well 45,000km at a half decent power level daily, just do my oil every 10,000 and clean air filter

tl;dr get a v8 m8

straya

Edited by UNR33L

Mine still going well 45,000km at a half decent power level daily, just do my oil every 10,000 and clean air filter

tl;dr get a v8 m8

A pretty valid point actually. There is a lot of merit putting a LS1-3-flavour into a RB, S13, whatever if your goal is 270-300rwkw.

Response, Sound aside (both benefits for a V8) there's merit in it being legal, EPA wise and the main factor of it working near 100% of factory/designed power, vs trying to run something at 200% of factory power.

v8 m8 is gr8

?

are you trying to say it's legal?

It's entirely legal to V8 into things, if you do it correctly, which can be done.

I know people who have engineered RB25's into things as well, but if your aim is hiflow RB25 territory for power, why not V8?

There really isn't any reason not to.

It's entirely legal to V8 into things, if you do it correctly, which can be done.

I know people who have engineered RB25's into things as well, but if your aim is hiflow RB25 territory for power, why not V8?

There really isn't any reason not to.

cost of getting a 5.7l motor engineered into a factory 2.5 = not worth it

Did you say this 8 years ago?

The only reason I've persisted is because I got the Stroker kit for near nothing and had a free rebuild coming my way via someone who had a really, really great reputation 8 years ago. Someone who was recommended directly by someone else who owns a certain hub dyno, at the time.

I did initially put a stock neo in, it just got exploded before I took delivery of it, my options were

1) Free replacement neo, which could have the same problem.. or..

2) Near-nothing RB28 upgrade which would have 0kms on it, which you'd think logically would be better option long term.

Again, this was 2007. We all have 8 years of experience since then to see what works longer term and what doesn't seem to. I would still say, that if the engine was implemented correctly that option 2) should still be the better option to go down.

Even if you still only want 320rwkw, it's a better option to have a new engine over an old engine, assuming they are assembled to the same standard, which you would think would happen in most/all professional scenarios.

You'd think.

And you were trying to convince me to go a neo

Well I think this is your problem Greg

Also you don't know when to call it a day on something, like I admire the persistence, but sometimes for your own sanity and wallet you gotta move on cause no amount of solution or success will make up for the journey you've had to take and continue to take to get there

Shit is sucking you in like a succubus

I advise all people out there to simply go to where a hiflow will get you on a RB25 (i.e 320ish) because its the point of which everything else breaks or becomes very visible to Mr Plod.[/img]

People take your advice on modifying cars?

Everyone bagging RE, meanwhile my old engine is still going strong

cost of getting a 5.7l motor engineered into a factory 2.5 = not worth it

I agree, but every now and then you see them pop up/appear with something already in it. Someone was selling a S13 with a LS2 in it for 6k before, with the gearbox and engine mounted. Someone with some know-how could easily pick that up and get it finished and enjoy it for quite a long time. I would rather a LS1-LS3 than say, a RB25 into a 180sx was my point to be made.

Big difference than say... putting a LS1 into a Supra because "its better to run an engine at 100% than 200%"..

And you were trying to convince me to go a neo

Well I think this is your problem Greg

Also you don't know when to call it a day on something, like I admire the persistence, but sometimes for your own sanity and wallet you gotta move on cause no amount of solution or success will make up for the journey you've had to take and continue to take to get there

Shit is sucking you in like a succubus

I wasn't suggesting the neo for you, I was thinking about it for me. :P

There is no reason to call it a day on something, because there is no actual demon involved.

If I gave it up and started again, I would want/get something very similar to what I actually have.

If you sold your GTST and started again (Ignoring the GTR) you would get... another GTST. With the same mods, with the same problems and things to consider. I'm not actually trying to push the envelope or do anything too unusual. I just want what is relatively standard to actually work correctly.

I would never recommend anyone put a neo into a 33 because the benefits don't really make a lot of sense given how hard it is, for some very minor benefits if any at all.

People take your advice on modifying cars?

Everyone bagging RE, meanwhile my old engine is still going strong

son of rajab knows I know what not to do, and what to look out for by now :P

RE had a good reputation for a reason, for awhile.