SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

5 hours ago, UNR33L said:

Fair enough, wingman a new mode?

Sounds like Dota2, been playing a lot of turbo mode 20 min game rather than 1-1.5hours

It was a temporary game mode; part of a recent operation, but was pretty popular so after the operation finished that they brought it back fulltime in an update. It uses half-sized / blocked off versions of regular large maps and some of its own small maps. Recommend giving it a go!

On 7/12/2018 at 11:15 PM, Kinkstaah said:

Lol birds.

They are totally different games, which reward different skills. However it's like asking what is the better fighting sport, MMA, or Table tennis? What's the better FPS game, Quake, or League of Legends?

It's not a shooter anymore. It is chalk and cheese and they can't be honestly comparable. One of them is raw gameplay ability and one is memorizing where to camp. Cmon. The things you listed I would flat out dismiss as not skills. They are bullshit cheese mechanics to get around the skillcap of a game.

It takes elements away from it. Deagle one taps? Every gun should be deagle one taps. Managing spray? How about just hitting the target. The game IS dumbed down. Skill (or more appropriately, strategy) appeared in other areas to make up for it, because you had to.

I was playing when CS 1.0 appeared and I saw it happen. Kids these days literally cannot understand ? The oldschoolers left and got old, and CS/COD/Overwatch/TF is all that is left.

What are you arguing here man...you compared them on skill in the first place saying one had a higher ceiling than the other and now you're agreeing they're actually incomparable and totally different games? So...which is it?

And who in their right mind would refer to CS as anything but an FPS/shooter? Summation of your argument appears to be "Quake is a real shooter because I still like it and rocket jumps and powerups give it a higher skill cap. CS isn't because I don't like it anymore; I reject its skill variables and some 'cheese mechanics' were exploited to artificially inseminate skill into an otherwise linear game". I guess rocket jumps and a lack of weapon recoil don't ironically parallel the latter assertion. No one "had to" rocket jump, they just...all do it?

I played CS in its beta stages too. I played it at 1.1, 1.3 and 1.6. I played Source and I still play CSGO. The game evolved and retained popularity with good reason. It's also been a major backbone in the rise of world stage competive gaming. You don't have to like it, but if someone infers that people playing Quake are utilizing/portraying some higher level of skills...I will call bullshit each and every time.

Have a listen to some of the Esports commentators/historians i.e Thorin/2gd/DDK both agree Quake has the highest skill cap of FPS and Starcraft for RTS.

Or someone like Rapha/Dahang/Team liquid in regards to the contribution of individual skill ceilings in team environment FPS games. Who played top tier Quake/overwatch

Just my 2 cents

Disclaimer: When im talking about competitive quake not referring to pub FFA/TDM they are just brain dumb modes for fun but referring to competitive Duel/2v2

At the end of the day just play game you enjoy regardless of what it is. Some ppl play hard games and they just get angry/tilted, and you gotta think whats the point of playing something that makes your angry/tilted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blah_blah said:

Have a listen to some of the Esports commentators/historians i.e Thorin/2gd/DDK both agree Quake has the highest skill cap of FPS and Starcraft for RTS.

Or someone like Rapha/Dahang/Team liquid in regards to the contribution of individual skill ceilings in team environment FPS games. Who played top tier Quake/overwatch

Just my 2 cents

Disclaimer: When im talking about competitive quake not referring to pub FFA/TDM they are just brain dumb modes for fun but referring to competitive Duel/2v2

At the end of the day just play game you enjoy regardless of what it is. Some ppl play hard games and they just get angry/tilted, and you gotta think whats the point of playing something that makes your angry/tilted.

Experts on their respective games it may make them, but experts on psychology another thing. I'd like to know exactly how they define this skill cap, cause I interpret the skill ceiling thing you mentioned as the breadth of skillset that you can bring to a game and influence it with, in which case I think it's easy to overlook a lot of what goes on in a game like CSGO but isn't immediately obvious from watching in-game footage. My case is that there's no game a pro isn't going to be putting 100% of their mental energy into and considering/manipulating a hundred variables at once. They have to; it's what allows them to create an edge over each other. They're not just better at aiming and clicking; none of these games are linear enough to make that assumption and I'd happily dissect a clip of CSGO vs Quake to demonstrate a par for variables. But I think comparing skillsets of two very complex and different games is above ignorant. My own proof in the pudding is that CSGO is arguably more profitable for a pro gamer at the moment - if another game is arguably more demanding of multiple skills, you could suggest CSGO at pro level a cake walk for a pro Quake player...they would clean up in MLG comps. So why not?

They put Rossi in a Formula 1 car and he drove it with prodigious ability - 0.7 seconds behind Schumacher's laptimes in practice, who remarked Rossi would be immediately competitive if he switched sports. Winning a race? That's another thing...

1 hour ago, Birds said:

Experts on their respective games it may make them, but experts on psychology another thing. I'd like to know exactly how they define this skill cap, cause I interpret the skill ceiling thing you mentioned as the breadth of skillset that you can bring to a game and influence it with, in which case I think it's easy to overlook a lot of what goes on in a game like CSGO but isn't immediately obvious from watching in-game footage. My case is that there's no game a pro isn't going to be putting 100% of their mental energy into and considering/manipulating a hundred variables at once. They have to; it's what allows them to create an edge over each other. They're not just better at aiming and clicking; none of these games are linear enough to make that assumption and I'd happily dissect a clip of CSGO vs Quake to demonstrate a par for variables. But I think comparing skillsets of two very complex and different games is above ignorant. My own proof in the pudding is that CSGO is arguably more profitable for a pro gamer at the moment - if another game is arguably more demanding of multiple skills, you could suggest CSGO at pro level a cake walk for a pro Quake player...they would clean up in MLG comps. So why not?

They put Rossi in a Formula 1 car and he drove it with prodigious ability - 0.7 seconds behind Schumacher's laptimes in practice, who remarked Rossi would be immediately competitive if he switched sports. Winning a race? That's another thing...

Different games different skill sets, i spose. I'm just passing on information i've heard on podcasts re eports.

But as an example re skill caps within Quake.

The current iteration of Quake re 'Quake Champions' is regard a lower skill cap then 'Quake Live' A few of the top guys at Quake Live are no longer at the top in Quake Champions. So even though its an easier game the old quake champs haven't dominated the new game.

Quake champions is still early access but each time an 'update' comes out re changes to spawn times/health armor stacks/weapon and champion balances, it causes a slight shift in gameplay and from that players comment the game is either easier/dumber or harder to learn (thus lowering and increasing the skill cap of the game).

On 7/15/2018 at 12:52 PM, blah_blah said:

Different games different skill sets, i spose. I'm just passing on information i've heard on podcasts re eports.

But as an example re skill caps within Quake.

The current iteration of Quake re 'Quake Champions' is regard a lower skill cap then 'Quake Live' A few of the top guys at Quake Live are no longer at the top in Quake Champions. So even though its an easier game the old quake champs haven't dominated the new game.

Quake champions is still early access but each time an 'update' comes out re changes to spawn times/health armor stacks/weapon and champion balances, it causes a slight shift in gameplay and from that players comment the game is either easier/dumber or harder to learn (thus lowering and increasing the skill cap of the game).

Yeah that's fair enough. Within the game I think you can compare different iterations/releases or even mods of it; it's certainly a lot fairer than game to game.

CS went through a similar thing. There was a big division between CS1.6 and Source when the latter came out and used an entirely new game engine. Skill transfer was difficult and about the only tactical thing that carried across was some map knowledge. Then the move from Source to CS:GO saw CS veterans like me fail hard in what was a completely different style of play and weapons with an emphasis on a new set of variables - camping/lurking for instance being rewarded and legitimised as a tactic (along with its counter tactics) rather than frowned upon. AWPers valued and capable of flipping a game. Then like you mentioned with Quake, with any new update of CS:GO that nerfs a gun or changes gun prices, shifts spawn locations etc. has major carry on effects to competitive play. Something as simple as changing the Five-Seven recoil had a butterfly effect that altered pistol round and overall game strategies for everyone especially pros.

Everyone was AWPing when I stopped playing cs, everyone except me. I always did better moving around non stop.

Probably stopped at source because I remember staying on 1.6 for a while when source was out.. What's cs go all about?
My laptop is probably pretty capable of running cs... Don't know if I'd find the time to play though

26 minutes ago, dezz said:

Everyone was AWPing when I stopped playing cs, everyone except me. I always did better moving around non stop.

Probably stopped at source because I remember staying on 1.6 for a while when source was out.. What's cs go all about?
My laptop is probably pretty capable of running cs... Don't know if I'd find the time to play though

CS:GO has competitive 5v5 or 2v2 ranked matches you can play in and you earn ranks depending on skill level and performance so it matchmakes you with similar ranked players. Not as important in the lower ranks but eventually there comes a point you need to work with ya team to win. There are deathmatch modes amongst others and also the economy of weapon skins.

If your laptop has any kind of dedicated graphics card you'll be able to run it. I'm running it with one of the best onboard/motherboard graphics and it runs okay.

My laptop was / is a gaming laptop so should be fine even though it's a few years old. Is the old school cs still around? No xp level up power sword bs... nice and simple, those were the days.. N

10 hours ago, dezz said:

My laptop was / is a gaming laptop so should be fine even though it's a few years old. Is the old school cs still around? No xp level up power sword bs... nice and simple, those were the days.. N

That should run it easy. Yeah you can still play 1.6 or Source.

Recommend trying CS:GO though, the ranking system gives a goal to aim for besides just most kills each game. Wingman provides good laughs with a mate.

CS:GO is 90% the same shit as CS 1.6 

The only difference is graphics, people have skins on their guns (which DONT make them perform any better like other PAY2WIN games), buy menu slightly different, maps slightly different. 

Give it a go don't bother with 1.6 

So what's everyone's returns looking like this year? Inb4 dezz 50k in deductions for supercharger kit to carry work tools ? 

~4k back for me, cant complain! will 100% be going straight on car mods :D 

So what's everyone's returns looking like this year? Inb4 dezz 50k in deductions for supercharger kit to carry work tools [emoji14] 
~4k back for me, cant complain! will 100% be going straight on car mods [emoji3] 

I'm rich. $450.

so a couple of things on that.

1 it's NSW so DEZZ is still safe.

2, those hourly rates are how much it costs, not earnings. remembering in most cases they need tools, insurance, a vehicle to travel in advertising blah blah blah so the real take home salary is not going to be that high. (not saying they are broke or anything but that is hiding some info)

3. the big issue I see with friends who are trades, is now they are getting past the 40 mark they are looking at what next. it's hard to think of climbing though roofs and things when your late 60s, where as I can comfortably sit on my ass behind a desk to retirement age. 

Lol that article.

Removalists will be lucky to do more than 2 jobs a day and generally only charge a few hours. Most of their pay comes in the form of gatorade, instant coffee and arrowroot biscuits.

Weekends would be busier, but just sayin.

Also I'd be lucky to get my group certificate before August. #smallbusinesslyf

Still havent done last year's... Most receipts are probably faded now anyway, so won't make many claims. Oh well.