SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

On 7/5/2018 at 12:18 PM, TiTAN said:

Leigh?

But what's classed as a decent profit?

Nah I ended up even in the end and just ended up getting out. 

Regarding video software yeah windows movie maker is good and easy, same with the go pro quik for desktop application, both are free 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 12:54 PM, dezz said:

Should get back into cs. Used to live on that shit in the 56k days

Pretty hard playing with 200 ping vs people at netcafes with 10 

On 7/7/2018 at 6:20 PM, dezz said:

I held my own til the phone rang

Just mum calling to check if you got home from school alright?

• Like 2

Nah after school was usually sweet apart from telemarketers.. Nights usually my aunties and uncle's calling for a chat. No unlimited talk and text plans back then..

On 7/6/2018 at 10:11 AM, Leroy Peterson said:

Is quake good? I'm usually up for a Sunday night sesh

Quake is good if you have good mechanical skill

Otherwise you will get wrecked by vets and rage quit and think they are all cheaters

The above is why CS ruined all shooters.

Lowered the skill ceiling fatally for FPS games. Everything else just feels like watered down garbage and it infuriates me for years that people consider CS or any derivative of CS to be an actual shooting game. Like karts vs F1.

Bad news about Broadford, turn 1 is an absolute doozy, luckily there is a fair amount of runoff and it's uphill, glad people walked away in the end.

22 hours ago, Leroy Peterson said:

https://www.sau.com.au/forums/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/463003-Mitch's-R33-Ls-Track-Car-Rebuild#entry7880516

Car flipped multiple times at Broadford, then CFA crashed into the Ambos.
Wonder if this will affect insurance/Broadford car track days in future.

no photos posted for insurance job ;)

Seen that happen at sandown too ? *cough*

50 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

The above is why CS ruined all shooters.

Lowered the skill ceiling fatally for FPS games. Everything else just feels like watered down garbage and it infuriates me for years that people consider CS or any derivative of CS to be an actual shooting game. Like karts vs F1.

What FPS do you consider has the highest skillcap of FPS games?

From an esports pov at the moment

Quake - Solo/TDM

CS/Overwatch - Team

Those would be the top 3 of Esports FPS. With Quake a fair margin above CS/overwatch in regards to skill ceiling cap.

More like, no photos because if it hit 9 news then it'd be 'Winton encourages young hoons to drive beyond their limits, somebody think of the children that weren't there'

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, blah_blah said:

What FPS do you consider has the highest skillcap of FPS games?

From an esports pov at the moment

Quake - Solo/TDM

CS/Overwatch - Team

Those would be the top 3 of Esports FPS. With Quake a fair margin above CS/overwatch in regards to skill ceiling cap.

Quake/UT are miles ahead. UT I always put above quake because the weaponry was not "tiered" (i.e all weapons are closely balanced and the difference is playstyle and situational) and movement was far more complicated/complex.

Team based FPS games only exist because the skill ceiling is low. The only way you can do well is through better teamplay. This is how CS got its start. IF everyone's skill is massively hindered, you have to work together better to win to overcome a crap game limitation.

That said I understand thats also why they are popular, unfortunately UT and Quake never had proper matchmaking in place which is ultimately what keeps CS and Overwatch going. Noone would get into overwatch if you were placed with 4000SR full teams.

You don't get that Luxury in Quake or UT, you would get a first timer basketball player in the same match as prime Michael Jordan. This is why things are now where they are.

I call bullshit on the skill ceiling/cap stuff. I don't think you can compare the top tier across different games in the same genre. Besides being immeasurable, if you acknowledge that playing within a team is an entire skillset in itself that individual players can be completely void of - determining best how to complement your team mates with your skill set rather than detract from it; accounting for their movements/tactics too, not just your opponent etc. Not to mention that a single good player can carry the shit out of their team and sweep the win, which is why smurfs flourish and are such a problem for the CSGO community.

Bottom line, I'd argue that at the top tier level of any game you've got the elite players giving a game 100% of their mental energy and analytical ability and none moreso than another. Otherwise you wouldn't have consistent tournament winning CSGO teams but we do. And my apologies if that's not the argument being made here. But with how much more popular and profitable CSGO is in e-sports, it would make sense for players to jump game for the prize money alone, but it doesn't happen that often as skill transfer doesn't always work out. When a team of elite Quake players form an unstoppable CS team because higher skill cap, just to win 1mil in a contest, I'll believe in the comparison. Even with a month of practice they'd get rightly destroyed by a team of LEs alone, and vice versa for the Quake equivalent.

CSGO
DOTA 2
PUBG
LOL
WOW

All the big games I know about or would bother playing, all of which are team based 

Dat DOTA2 50mill prize pool doe. 

Yeah WoW turned into easy mode / focused for children I guess which turned a lot of the original wow players off. 

Classic is meant to be coming out at some point soon ish too, I'd love to play it but don't have the 5 hours / day the game requires :D

Shit nearly ruined me in year 12.. lel.

18 hours ago, Birds said:

I call bullshit on the skill ceiling/cap stuff. I don't think you can compare the top tier across different games in the same genre. Besides being immeasurable, if you acknowledge that playing within a team is an entire skillset in itself that individual players can be completely void of - determining best how to complement your team mates with your skill set rather than detract from it; accounting for their movements/tactics too, not just your opponent etc. Not to mention that a single good player can carry the shit out of their team and sweep the win, which is why smurfs flourish and are such a problem for the CSGO community.

Bottom line, I'd argue that at the top tier level of any game you've got the elite players giving a game 100% of their mental energy and analytical ability and none moreso than another. Otherwise you wouldn't have consistent tournament winning CSGO teams but we do. And my apologies if that's not the argument being made here. But with how much more popular and profitable CSGO is in e-sports, it would make sense for players to jump game for the prize money alone, but it doesn't happen that often as skill transfer doesn't always work out. When a team of elite Quake players form an unstoppable CS team because higher skill cap, just to win 1mil in a contest, I'll believe in the comparison. Even with a month of practice they'd get rightly destroyed by a team of LEs alone, and vice versa for the Quake equivalent.

I agree that its its own skill

There's still a lower ceiling for the CS crowd, which is inclusive for new players.

In top tournaments, you need top teamplay *as well*.

High Ceiling + Top teamplay = good

Low Ceiling + Top teamplay = less good

Everyone pushed out of enjoying the game due to skill differences = fatal to community, which is what happened. The games existed before matchmaking and being stomped stopped becoming fun for most. I recall playing DM and being happy to finish 5th out of 10 and slowly rank up. This doesn't seem to happen now. Noone is going to stick around for 200 games when they finish 9th or 10th out of 10 every time like they used to.

It was no secret that CS players got mauled playing Quake/UT back in the day, and while Quake/UT players did jump into CS they may not have absolutely dominated, but they did *far* better than the CS players did playing Quake.

CS isn't transferable. The skills you pick up rocket jumping off a wall, changing weapons midair at 200mph and hitting someone across of the side of the map are not available to you in CS. Being better at it in UT/Quake means literally nothing if you cannot use any of the extra skills you happen to have. Having a knack for timing different powerups on a map and area control of a map over an opponent which is vital in an arena game, entirely removed from any equation in CS (for example).

Truthfully it's not the worst thign in the world, there's plenty of Heros in overwatch that cater to that, and they are plenty viable for those with 'less' mechanical shooter skill than others, and this is arguably a good thing in an effort to build a community.

It has been too long though for people to actually have memories of what used to be the status quo, so they erronously believe what is 'in' now is as good as could possibly ever have been.

Arena Shooters are like Group B rally ?