SAU Community

R32 1JZ or JZX100 Chaser?

Been a long time lurker here but just joined recently just to get some thoughts & opinions.

So I'm currently in a long-standing dilemma, whether should I build an r32 with a jzx90 1jzgte or just get a toyota jzx100 chaser which has a newer engine. Main purpose will be a reliable daily and will have occasional track/drift days.

If you had the time and money, what would you rather pick between the 2? 

Also has anyone done an r32 1jz here? What are your thoughts? 

3 hours ago, febbelicious said:

reliable daily and will have occasional track/drift days.

That is a unicorn. Pick one.

Other than that, I like the sound of an R32 with a 1JZ. Do it.

• Like 2

Wow thank you for all the responses guys ?

Ok, i guess the only unicorn is my daily beater honda hahaha. 1jz does sounds phenomenal.

Have already spoken to a few wreckers and only 1 is available to ship a bunch of jzx90/100 halfcuts, big nom noms!

Its such a challenge but it will be worth it in the end i suppose. Im pretty excited! I'll be posting a build thread in about a month or 2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After owning my modified BMW 335i for over 3 years, the Skyline is a phenomenal daily when it comes to servicing costs and repairs (anything 1/2 major breaks on the BMW is like over $1k for the parts and multiply this by 3-4 times if buying locally)... 

So much so I parked the BMW for now (currently suffering from ABS failure, leaky turbo seals, adpative head light failure and some other random ECU error codes) and went back to driving the beater Skyline as a daily work horse =D

• Like 1

The list of errors/faults on my BMW right now... :down:

14051626_10154322699882040_1727254749144294652_n.jpg.1f0dc7fa34d490329f5b4147b86c20d8.jpg

Basically a dead ABS control module causing all sorts of shenanigans, and water getting into one headlight (failed internal seal due to age) frying a control module that controls the fancy 'cornering' lights and a brand new ABS module is over $2k USD from US or about $4k locally from a indy shop for the part alone (and you still need to get it 'coded' with a proper BMW coding tool from dealership or indy shop even if you DIY the install)... :dry:

I must add that my Skyline also suffers from the same 'water getting into head light issue' but because there's no fancy electronic control modules to break there all I did to 'fix' was drill some 'drainage' holes on the bottom of the light assembly to let the water drain out... :cool:

Edited by Mayuri Krab

On 31 August 2016 at 10:58 AM, niZmO_Man said:

^ and that's why I don't understand why people say Skylines are "expensive" and "stuff breaks" all the time. :P

Bmws have always been known to be unreliable shit boxes though, in Germany they buy them cheap and run them into the ground but for some reason they have a prestige status over here