SAU Community

Sell 34R for something Euro?

On 10/31/2016 at 0:55 PM, ActionDan said:

I dunno, I asked a few Qs in the 35 section and got crickets. Have they all moved to FB?

Might be worth joining one of the 35 GTR pages and asking a few questions. 

From memory there is a specific 35 owners page in Aus and there are a few 35 owners in the GTROC's FB page (mostly from the UK). 

I was doing some Euro vs Jap research last week (bcoz boredom) and found nothing that even resembles an argument the say Euro is reliable.

I'll just say that not ALL euro cars have an issue, but the sheer number and importance of the malfunctions are too large to ignore.

I was using this website, which was handy. http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=recalls

Yes, a lot of reviews and forum posts are negatively skewed because everyone has the energy to complain but few praise. Just compare the types of recalls issued for common Euro models and then compare to common jap models. Its often chalk and cheese.

Person at work has a 2015 Mini Cooper S. The new mini has been around for quite a while now. Each series has had a different motor, usually shared with a 1 series BMW. The second series had an issue with timing chains letting go, so now its on the maintenance list to be replaced every 30,000kms. Anyway, latest Mini's had incorrect main bearing tolerances and a huuuuuge amount of mini's got new motors. This particular owner was told it would need a new engine when it went in for a service at 13,000kms. When replacing that many motors, no doubt BMW was using the iPhone philosophy of repair the broken and then use them as "brand new" replacements.

When my ex was looking at getting a Mk4 Golf GT Sport, I spent a lot of time researching because they had massive problems with the injectors. VW did everything in their power to avoid making an official re-call. You go to the leading VW OZ forums and there are dozens of pages of owners reporting their cars getting done, some being out of pocket $1500 an injector. 

Then theres the audi's firmware updates that get applied when getting serviced and causing all sorts of problems.

Mercedes would be my bet for Euro. From what I've experienced and people I know who work on them have said their diagnostics and design are really good. And yeah, there are a lot of daily-driven 400kw audi's floating around, which is impressive.

Anyway, compare that to all the lexus recalls, and in typical Lexus fashion, most of them are just complaints from nit-picky owners. (the LS series is basically designed from customer feedback every series. Which is great, but it also means that almost every production month LS is different, even if theyre the same series. Toyota part numbers are a bitch on the luxury cars). Common problems include: annoying accessory belt noise, rear view mirror discolouration, wind noise from door mirror, an in-line filter added to the aux port to stop interference noise.... :| 

• Like 1

I dunno i wouldn't bother going a half ass euro if i did.

A good friend of mine sold her 2013 M3 like 2 months ago for 80k and it had f**k all KM's on it. Was a bit of fun. 

Apparently the 2013 M3 wasn't good enough. Got a 2016 M4.

2 hours ago, ActionDan said:

Daily = work car(free). 

Think I will keep the 34, put a nicer clutch in it and maybe some Cams and just sit back and see what what the R35 market does. 

Getting some well built & matched coilovers. Will certainly change your perception of comfort in the 34. I have Tein Super Street's (Aussie modified versions) set 5 clicks from full soft. They are only a poofteenths harsher than my stock 04 Accord Euro on the street. Obviously prob not the best for track duties, but my car is 99% on the street.

I previously had an Evo 7 with BC BR's, and it was still bone shaking on 8/6 kg spring rates.