SAU Community

Can you daily an EVO?

Gymkhana

I though I would like it, but, I hated my 2015 STI, it just did not inspire me, even after some parts and tuning to get about 220 kwatw from it (only tuned up enough to not worry the glass ringlands), stock it made 145 kwatw on the Pulse dyno

I know no one who made over 250 kwatw reliability from one with a stock engine

I fell for the WRC fan boy marketing 

I was comfortable though, and cabin noise was minimal, so it technically was a OK daily, fuel consumption wasn't good for a true daily if that's a thing you look at though

images.jpeg-22.jpg

On 23/04/2022 at 11:42 PM, BK said:

2015+ FA20DIT CVT WRX better than all the above in the real world, and faster point to point on the street.

How was the cvt with cruise control?

Have found some wring themselves when going uphill. Take cruise off  and can maintain a much lower rpm by yourself for the same climb.

On 24/04/2022 at 9:03 AM, mlr said:

I though I would like it, but, I hated my 2015 STI, it just did not inspire me, even after some parts and tuning to get about 220 kwatw from it (only tuned up enough to not worry the glass ringlands), stock it made 145 kwatw on the Pulse dyno

I know no one who made over 250 kwatw reliability from one with a stock engine

I fell for the WRC fan boy marketing 

I was comfortable though, and cabin noise was minimal, so it technically was a OK daily, fuel consumption wasn't good for a true daily if that's a thing you look at though

images.jpeg-22.jpg

That's a shame.

The new sti are a gorgeous looking car.

Shame amd surprising they cant cope with even 250 on stock internals.

Haven't had the chance to drive long term, let alone own, but I found them OK in the stints I drove used ones when getting them ready for sale.

On 4/23/2022 at 4:45 PM, luke gtr said:

That's a shame.

Haven't had the chance to drive long term, let alone own, but I found them OK in the stints I drove used ones when getting them ready for sale.

The STI in particular still had an EJ engine in it. It pretty much never had the ability to take big power. The entire block flexes easily and is not conducive to a long and healthy life with big power. The factory top-mount intercooler heat soaks very easily. The factory cast pistons put the compression ring very high up making it very vulnerable to knock in order to reduce crevice volume for emissions. Considering how weak the block is the 2.5L EJ257 used in the US is basically not designed to ever be stroked as the rod ratio is already on the low side. Normally not a problem, plenty of Honda engines run pretty extreme rod ratios but an EJ block is a delicate thing. The S209 in the US made 340 hp using an HKS GTIII-RS turbo and that is probably the absolute limit of what Subaru/STI powertrain engineers were comfortable with warrantying.

On 24/04/2022 at 9:13 AM, luke gtr said:

How was the cvt with cruise control?

Have found some wring themselves when going uphill. Take cruise off  and can maintain a much lower rpm by yourself for the same climb.

Can't say I've noticed a problem and does its thing nicely, but I can't remember being on cruise control on a really steep hill either as I'd be manual anyway.

On 24/4/2022 at 9:45 AM, luke gtr said:

That's a shame.

People are making well over that on stock internals now, e85 does wonders 

On 24/04/2022 at 9:45 AM, luke gtr said:

That's a shame.

In the end when I looked at it I saw a Kia

I prefer the look of the older bug eye style of wrx

On 24/04/2022 at 12:04 PM, r32-25t said:

E85 is a PITA for a daily 

Lots of coin for fair-weather gain

I've ummed and arred over E85 alot, but due to it being logically hard to find it isn't worth the outlay for me

E85 is great for race cars or strictly low range weekenders, but for me, who calls a 400km a short drive, it ain't worth it for 2 or 3 trips to the drags a year

And there's no way in hell I'm carrying around jerry cans going for a cruise

On 24/04/2022 at 11:36 AM, mlr said:

E85 is a PITA for a daily 

Lots of coin for fair-weather gain

I've ummed and arred over E85 alot, but due to it being logically hard to find it isn't worth the outlay for me

E85 is great for race cars or strictly low range weekenders, but for me, who calls a 400km a short drive, it ain't worth it for 2 or 3 trips to the drags a year

And there's no way in hell I'm carrying around jerry cans going for a cruise

That's why flex setup - best of both worlds. Have the advantage of E85 for your higher power performance scenarios and the convenience of just putting in 98 for normal use. No switching maps or draining the tank, so I definitely think it's worth it.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 7:04 PM, r32-25t said:

With an EJ25? The limit for ringlands I thought was due to combustion chamber pressures. While any one knock event can instantly kill the pistons at 250 kW to the wheels or so my understanding was even normal combustion could still damage the piston ringlands. Then from there the next thing to break would be conrods.

On 24/4/2022 at 1:18 PM, joshuaho96 said:

With an EJ25? The limit for ringlands I thought was due to combustion chamber pressures. While any one knock event can instantly kill the pistons at 250 kW to the wheels or so my understanding was even normal combustion could still damage the piston ringlands. Then from there the next thing to break would be conrods.

I’ve seen almost 300 with e85 in stock block 

On 4/23/2022 at 8:24 PM, r32-25t said:

I’ve seen almost 300 with e85 in stock block 

Stock block or stock bottom-end? I can believe stock block. The question is also how long you can make that power for. Subaru has killed 100% stock STIs under warranty by shipping poor tunes.

On 24/04/2022 at 8:33 AM, mlr said:

fuel consumption wasn't good for a true daily if that's a thing you look at though

images.jpeg-22.jpg

That's where the FA20 shines. At 10.6:1 compression running up to 1.6bar boost stock I've seen in the 6s for L/100km and up to 800km from a tank ! - it's insane how good the fuel economy is.

Granted the missus generally drives it being a bit of a lead foot and I still notice she's generally around 9 - 10ish L/100km.

On 4/23/2022 at 8:52 PM, BK said:

That's where the FA20 shines. At 10.6:1 compression running up to 1.6bar boost stock I've seen in the 6s for L/100km and up to 800km from a tank ! - it's insane how good the fuel economy is.

Granted the missus generally drives it being a bit of a lead foot and I still notice she's generally around 9 - 10ish L/100km.

The FA has a ton of technologies in it that make it halfway acceptable for fuel economy compared to the positively stone-age EJ. GDI allows for scavenging without a bunch of fuel missing the combustion chamber and going straight out the exhaust. Cooled EGR allows for a lot more knock margin than the engine would have otherwise. TGV allows for good fuel mixing even at low RPM with GDI. There's also part load Atkinson cycle operation. 

On 24/4/2022 at 1:27 PM, joshuaho96 said:

Stock block or stock bottom-end? I can believe stock block. The question is also how long you can make that power for. Subaru has killed 100% stock STIs under warranty by shipping poor tunes.

Completely unopened engine, look up “the rumble shake” on Facebook 

On 24/04/2022 at 4:08 PM, r32-25t said:

Completely unopened engine, look up “the rumble shake” on Facebook 

"Rumble shack"

Was a very fashionable place with the young 'uns at work when they were doing Subies a few years ago

Some moved to Pulse, which is why I sent mine to Pulse

Most of the rev head young 'uns then moved to VW or Audi's a few years ago, now they either have jacked up black smoking diesel 4x4 or Holdens and Ford utes and sedans with a mix of V8 and boosted Barra's

It's rare to see, or hear, a STI anymore

Really depends on personal preference but I think they are reliable enough to daily after owning a 2x Evo 8 GSRs, 2x Evo 9 GSRs, a X GSR and a X MR. The cars drive really well stock and with bolt ons can make 330-350 to the wheel with a good tune. Personally the X MR was really nice in traffic, had a lot of room inside/comfy, and was sneaky fast. However, it did feel a bit bulky compared to the 8 and 9. If you want something a bit more agile I’d lean towards a IX GSR. Although interior changes were minimal, I did like the extra comfort stock (leather seats) compared to the 8. 

On 29/04/2022 at 3:41 PM, Dag33r said:

Really depends on personal preference but I think they are reliable enough to daily after owning a 2x Evo 8 GSRs, 2x Evo 9 GSRs, a X GSR and a X MR. The cars drive really well stock and with bolt ons can make 330-350 to the wheel with a good tune. Personally the X MR was really nice in traffic, had a lot of room inside/comfy, and was sneaky fast. However, it did feel a bit bulky compared to the 8 and 9. If you want something a bit more agile I’d lean towards a IX GSR. Although interior changes were minimal, I did like the extra comfort stock (leather seats) compared to the 8. 

And I believe the 9 had mivec too?

Have heard this helps dramatically when tuning.

Haven't driven any other evos(apart from X mr's) but can imagine they would definitely feel bulkier, as they are much bigger in general.