SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

I know the pain of having to buy another optima battery, I mean I only bought my current one 10yrs ago and now it needs replacing again 😡 seriously what kinda half arsed products are they making lol

*disclaimer there’s a lot of sarcasm in this post*

• Haha 1

@r32-25t this one actually is "kinda" new, bought it when I popped in the 1st new motor and rarely drove it (sat on the CTEK charger all week).

Battery was never discharged and also rarely started on. Would have been about 3 years old?

Prior to that I had a smaller D51TR and that went for 7 years until it died when I blew the factorymotor and sat around not on a charger.

They make great batteries, however never discharge them as they just die.

I bought one of these given it was 500cca
LH14-BS High Performance Lithium Ion Phosphate Motorcycle Battery
https://superstart.com.au/lh14-bs-high-performance-lithium-ion-phosphate-motorcycle-battery.html
given it is a motor cycle battery but battery guy said it would crank a car, and at 1.3KG i was like sweet.
Put in my 32 and got reds all good, but would not crank the motor over so be cautious. 

• Like 1

Yeah that's the case for most AGM style deep cycles, once you flatten them it's very hard to revive them.

If both my Optima batteries weren't fully discharged numerous times they still would be in usable condition.

That's ok, I might install a kill switch and if it ever goes to another shop (god forbid) I will tell them to kill the power to stop the battery discharging itself to certain death.

Bit of an update, got a new battery - ended up with a Supercharge MF55HSS. It's an AGM Stop/Start battery made by Supercharge with 3 year warranty. Bought it off Online Batteries, turns out Matt lives around the corner so I picked it up and had a good chat.

He also wasn't keen on Optima Batteries, said they're a deep cycle that don't like being deep cycled lol.

Anyhow fed in more boost (0.8bar) on a pretty flat timing map, and set wideband o2 correction to target 12.0 AFR (gasoline scaling running E85). Surprisingly my old fuel map was pretty close, did require a bit less fuel coming onto boost - this given, larger cams, shorter runners = less power/torque off boost.

Power delivery, even smoother than before - you don't even get a boost whack but you know it's making boost and ready to rev out. I did give it a few hits in 2nd gear and it sure revved out, it feels more revvy than before however it has been about 1.5 years since I've driven it.

Feel/handling, jesus - terrible lol... probably need to pump the tyres up as well, also running 255 wide Nankang AR-1 semi slicks on the street isn't fun. You can feel every bump and pebble on the road, at some stage I will wrap all four corners in Hankook RS-4. New subframe bushing, LCA lower bushing and diff bushing has now exacerbated the 2-way diff, it is brutal - true thuds/bumps like a real race car. I might add some limslip into the diff next time I refresh the fluids.

Other than that, been adjusting the cold start - with the new plenum it seems that it requires much more cranking fuel when cold to get it going. Might be the injectors are now spraying fuel into the runners instead of the intake valves (purely broscience here).

Ignore the 0% Ethanol row, I'll get to that one day - just easier to read the graph with both rows equal for now

image.thumb.png.f7bca9fa707f49e55280dd0a85a4dfac.png

• Like 3

On 11/02/2022 at 7:49 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Time for a new battery, Optima D34 won't hold charge over night.

Also found out Supercharge batteries make an AGM battery with better warranty and capacity than Optima. It's the MF55HSS, looks like I'll be ordering that next week 🙂

PXL_20220211_204726256.jpg

i had trouble with my optima as well......went to an agm havent had a issue since even after sitting through a winter. the optimas arent bad but will be forgotten once you get a agm. cheers

On 21/02/2022 at 9:55 PM, niZmO_Man said:

splash out for AD08s man, they're great

It's that or RS-4 for me next, depends what is cheaper at the time. This shit box has truly damaged my bank account lolol.

On 22/02/2022 at 1:53 AM, MoMnDadGTR said:

i had trouble with my optima as well......went to an agm havent had a issue since even after sitting through a winter. the optimas arent bad but will be forgotten once you get a agm. cheers

They're long lasting batteries but as soon as they're forgotten like you've mentioned, they just die!

Normally the car always sits on a trickle charger but you don't get that luxury at workshops lol.

On 22/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Man these wreckers are charging a premium these days, R33 used hood liner $250....

Yeah nah, just ordered new $550... this car is making me poorer by the second 

I really know that feeling, every time I do something I order another $1000+ worth of parts 😞 

On 22/02/2022 at 1:33 PM, r32-25t said:

I really know that feeling, every time I do something I order another $1000+ worth of parts 😞 

LOL.. yep... my order from Amayama wasn't fun :D 

Still all in boxes (except the condenser) getting new door seals, door outter trim bits and bobs ruined the bank account quick smart.

Just keep telling each other "high yield investment" lol