SAU Community

Best Gtr intercoolers

SiR_RB

• 8 months later...

Finally got around to test 76mm Plazmaman against factory R32 intercooler, which is still a very decent unit given its age, the measured delta between inlet and outlet under load was close to 60°F / 15.5°C.  Forgot to take delta measurement after Plazmaman was installed though...

f2lVj55.jpg

GmbC1Dk.jpg

I think my tuner may have found factory intercooler's limit.  With -9s the most my tuner could get was 440rwhp / 328rwkw at ~18 psi.  Without touching the tune or changing anything except installing Plazmaman, it gained 10rwhp. 

hrqbXBz.jpg

Playing with the tune a little more, it gained another 1psi and pushed to 466.5rwhp / 348rwkw.  At this point my R35 570cc injectors maxed out, exactly as I planned.  The R35 MAFs were a surprise, I thought they would maxed out as well since I only put them in factory sized 65mm tubes, but they were at 4.6v and still got room to go.  So folks, there you go.

Fpf6FnK.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/29/2019 at 10:56 PM, TXSquirrel said:

the measured delta between inlet and outlet under load was close to 60°F / 15.5°C.

Just realize I was thinking ambient temperature.  60°F delta should be ~33°C...

On 5/2/2018 at 2:06 AM, TXSquirrel said:

So given the older protruding tube design, Plazmaman still seems to do well?

Many coolers that come out of Plazaman use Chinese cores with locally made end tanks slapped on... 

Just realize I was thinking ambient temperature.  60°F delta should be ~33°C...

Great to see an update and a lad following through.
Thanks for the data mate, good results that clearly speak for themselves.

Plazmaman certainly has been getting my vote for bang4buck applications and recommendations.

On 4/4/2019 at 6:46 PM, LaurelPWR said:

Great to see an update and a lad following through.
Thanks for the data mate, good results that clearly speak for themselves.

Plazmaman certainly has been getting my vote for bang4buck applications and recommendations.

Credit to my tuner for sure.  I told him I didn't know if this Plazmaman would improve anything for my low power goal, he said just pay for the intercooler installation and a re-tune, and he would give me free before and after pulls.

It was interesting to find out he couldn't push any further than ~18.5psi on factory intercooler.  Also interesting to see the thicker Plazmaman gained across RPM range, "sort of" debunked the myth that bigger intercoolers would get more pressure drop and hence feel laggy.  I say sort of because Plazmaman isn't that much bigger than factory.

One last note is that I'm using the somewhat idiotic Greddy Profec, and to get that last tune to hold the -9s at ~19.5psi, my tuner had to turn the Gain way up.  He also pulled to only about 7000rpm at my request, because I'm still on near 30 years old head gasket and head bolts.  He noted since the curve was still trending up, likely there was more power to gain up to 8000rpm.

• Like 1

Credit to my tuner for sure.  I told him I didn't know if this Plazmaman would improve anything for my low power goal, he said just pay for the intercooler installation and a re-tune, and he would give me free before and after pulls.
It was interesting to find out he couldn't push any further than ~18.5psi on factory intercooler.  Also interesting to see the thicker Plazmaman gained across RPM range, "sort of" debunked the myth that bigger intercoolers would get more pressure drop and hence feel laggy.  I say sort of because Plazmaman isn't that much bigger than factory.
One last note is that I'm using the somewhat idiotic Greddy Profec, and to get that last tune to hold the -9s at ~19.5psi, my tuner had to turn the Gain way up.  He also pulled to only about 7000rpm at my request, because I'm still on near 30 years old head gasket and head bolts.  He noted since the curve was still trending up, likely there was more power to gain up to 8000rpm.

The myth that bigger equals more lag or loss of some sort is exactly that, a myth and there’s too many factors that could be causing any number of negative drop in performance of one sort or another in any given setup....

Gains throughout the rpm range have been proven over and over again by Tao from hypergear, who, as we should all know, almost always aims for peak response....he recommends 100mm at a minimum and/or top brand name coolers in bigger sizes nearly 100% of the time he speaks of cores.

Near 700kw at wheels with my Gtr with 100mm plazmaman cooler, 

I’m looking at getting a new intercooler and stuck between the 76mm & 100mm plazamaman. I’m only aiming for 750-800+hp? I thought I would go 100mm just so I didn’t have to change if I decided to change the hot side

I’m looking at getting a new intercooler and stuck between the 76mm & 100mm plazamaman. I’m only aiming for 750-800+hp? I thought I would go 100mm just so I didn’t have to change if I decided to change the hot side

You answered your own question my dude [emoji1365]
If cost is no issue, go the bigger and best then set and forget.

20 hours ago, r32-25t said:

I hope the 76mm can handle around that power cause I don’t want to lose the mesh 

If your IATs are low enough, then don't worry too much.

If you need more cooling, you could chemically intercool your system by introducing water/meth when your IAT threshold is met.

I personally would just go 100mm.

About factory GTR intercoolers. My 1998 S3 R33 GTR with factory cooler, boost curve:

boost.jpg

Cooler changed to Takashi (not the best) 600x300x100mm with no other changes:

boost.jpg

Compare the two coolers:

coolercompare.jpg

inside new cooler:

insidenewcooler.jpg

inside stock cooler:

insidestockcooler.jpg

I'm unsure of other GTR models, at least factory R33 S3 GTR front mount cooler is quite restrictive. 

Edited by hypergear