SAU Community

Help! Coil packs keep failing!

er34gtv

Okay so the first time it started to misfire and throw the error code 21 I swapped the OEM coils out with brand new yellow jackets coil packs and replaced the spark plugs with brand new NGK iridiums at approximately 80,000ks. The yellow jackets stayed in the car for around 10,000ks until the car started acting up again. I contacted the supplier and they had informed me that they must have had some kind of malfunction, I sent them back and had another brand new set sent out to me under warranty. Had the new set installed and the issue was fixed again.. until now...

I have now done approximately another 10,000ks and the problem has arisen again. The car is a 1999 r34 25gt-v (rb25de neo).

I bought the car with 77,000ks on the clock and since then I've only driven around 30,000ks. It now sits on 113,000ks.

Is there anything that would be contributing to the coil packs failing? An underlying problem perhaps?

Anyone with similar issues?

Your problem is the coilpacks themselves. The yellow jackets are known to give trouble. You should contact the supplier again as he constantly tells people on this forum that his coilpacks are good and he has the best customer service, support and warranty. @performancewise

• Like 1

Your problem is the coilpacks themselves. The yellow jackets are known to give trouble. You should contact the supplier again as he constantly tells people on this forum that his coilpacks are good and he has the best customer service, support and warranty. @performancewise

Actually the last time I dealt with @performancewise it was a really unpleasant experience. I found the supplier to be extremely rude, ill mannered and extremely difficult to talk too.. I'm sure at some point in time I was actually threatened.. on top of all of that the product doesn't even work as it should. We exchanged emails for a period of time until eventually he gave in and sent me out the replacement set that I desperately needed. Now that it has happened again I don't think that I want to go through the whole process and then keep repeating the process every 10,000ks because of a junk dodgy product. I would much rather stay clear of @performancewise and their dodgy scam. I would encourage anyone thinking of buying yellow jackets to definitely re-think their options!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, er34gtv said:

I'd still like to explore this topic, so if anyone else has any thoughts on the subject please let me know.

What do you want to explore?  There are many cases of Yellow Jackets failing although presumably many have not.

Buy OEM coils or Splitfires or step up to LS2 Truck coils or something like AEM coils.

What do you want to explore?  There are many cases of Yellow Jackets failing although presumably many have not.
Buy OEM coils or Splitfires or step up to LS2 Truck coils or something like AEM coils.

Was just curious to explore the chance of something else setting the coil packs up for failure under the presumption that the new yellow jackets couldn't possibly of failed again after only 10,000ks. However I seem to be proven wrong as after more and more research its looking like the yellow jacket coil packs are the problem themselves. Will definitely be going with splitfires or ls2 coils the next time around.

They said yellow jackets never fail. That's there were no reported cases...

@performance-wise

Surely he will help you out.

That's what I heard too haha.. Im now thinking all the hype was driven by @performance-wise himself in an act to market his product and uphold some sort of reputation.

The only possible way @performance-wise could help me out is by fully refunding me the total costs of the coil packs. I would not dare go near another set of yellow jackets as I can't afford the added mechanic bill every 10,000ks and I certainly can't afford my car being off the road as its my sole form of transport.

I was being sarcastic lol.

There was a huge discussion a few months ago driven by @performace-wise. But alas he doesn't care about the negatives. Only the success stories.

You're better off going split fire coils. Drop in and don't worry.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, er34gtv said:

Actually the last time I dealt with @performancewise it was a really unpleasant experience. I found the supplier to be extremely rude, ill mannered and extremely difficult to talk too.. I'm sure at some point in time I was actually threatened.. on top of all of that the product doesn't even work as it should. We exchanged emails for a period of time until eventually he gave in and sent me out the replacement set that I desperately needed. Now that it has happened again I don't think that I want to go through the whole process and then keep repeating the process every 10,000ks because of a junk dodgy product. I would much rather stay clear of @performancewise and their dodgy scam. I would encourage anyone thinking of buying yellow jackets to definitely re-think their options!

ohhh that is gold. I mean hey dude, sorry to hear of your issue, but another customer confirming the shiteness of the operation; I am glad people speak up about this, so good sellers succeed and bad ones GTFO>

• 3 months later...

Thanks for everyone's recommendations. I went with the Splitfires in the end. Got them on an eBay auction for $400 including postage. Installed them myself. Definitely recommend going against the yellow jacket brand for anyone looking for new coilpacks. After countless hours of research and plenty of first hand experience they have proven to be straight poo.

• Like 1

Somebody should set up a poll:

I have Yellow jackets that work

vs

I have yellow jackets that worked once.

I had my own intimate 'buying experience' with performance-wise some years ago - it wasn't coil packs though.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2017 at 10:10 AM, GH05T said:

yeah, i dont mean to be "that guy" but i dont know why we still have them pushed commercially on these forums.

Because we aren't allowed to post up negative experiences with any company or product on the forum, only positive