SAU Community

Short block build cost

czy18e

30 minutes ago, Roy said:

LOL Price? They all seem 6k. For me thats another 6-9 months of saving over an ebay piston/rod deal for 2k:( Baffles me that peple have the disposable income to shell out on stuff...by baffle i mean envious. I am still trying to piece my car back together after 2 years of being off the road and tired of being broke and spending all my spare cash on cars :(

You're an amateur.  I'm 4 years and counting off the road! :2_grimacing:

I agree with both of you but the "cheap" option is to build an RB30 as opposed to a stroker.  Stroker is sooooooo much easier in the long run than the RB30 though when you take into consideration all the other factors that come into making the thing fit in the engine bay.

In theory it's only another $1000 or so to build a 30 (mainly just extra machining) over the 26 but +++++ when it comes to getting the whole show up and running.

• Like 1

Why would you leave the factory throw crank in there when for a little bit more you could have a stroker?
You're paying for machining, assembly, studs, gaskets, pumps and consumables anyway.
Baffles me why guys go to all that effort and leave it standard capacity. 

LOL Price? They all seem 6k. For me thats another 6-9 months of saving over an ebay piston/rod deal for 2k[emoji20] Baffles me that peple have the disposable income to shell out on stuff...by baffle i mean envious. I am still trying to piece my car back together after 2 years of being off the road and tired of being broke and spending all my spare cash on cars [emoji20]

Remortgage my house to start a tuning buisness, with government tax incentives I ended up with a decent tax return that I blew on a motor now am completely broke again wishing I could afford a turbo lol

On 18/02/2017 at 9:58 AM, Shoota_77 said:

You're an amateur.  I'm 4 years and counting off the road! :2_grimacing:

I think my R34 build has now been 9 years off the road. And I've been paying rego this entire time :(

• Like 1

haha, mine has lots of scratches too from various garage incidents. I usually wash it once a year or so, its too depressing seeing it under all that dust.

I just decided to give myself a deadline of September 2017 to get it running again :)

2 hours ago, JustinP said:

I think my R34 build has now been 9 years off the road. And I've been paying rego this entire time :(

Don't know about Aus but in NZ you can put rego on hold (no cost) when the car is off the road and just resume when its ready to go.

Short block build costs basically go something like this.

Strip clean and measure

Sonic test bores and cracktest deck

Bore and hone then line bore if reqd

Deck or finish the head surfaces

Crack test and check crank for straightness repair if required

Fit oil restrictor

Drill oil return holes and deburr oil return galleries at rear of head

Fit crank collar if required 

Clean everything again

Fit new freeze plugs

Paint block

Fit studs if requested 

Test fit and measure main bearings and measure journal sizing

Test fit piston ringless and measure deck hieghts and block twist 

Size rods to new pins and file fit rings

Dummy up short assebbly and recheck bearing clearances

Disassemble and clean components.

Final assembly and full torque of short engine. Fit ancillary items as requested such as oil pump, sump, heat exchanger and oil filter block ect

So. Suddenly you need to add parts onto this and the cost of the machining. This is why some people who build engines charge what they do. 

Reliable, fast, cheap.  Pick 2.

1 hour ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Don't know about Aus but in NZ you can put rego on hold (no cost) when the car is off the road and just resume when its ready to go.

As far as I know we don't have that in my state, unfortunately. I have kept it registered as if the government ever looks under the bonnet it's not going to to be registered ever again haha.

1 month off road for me so far, getting groceries without a car is starting to get old. 

I have been exploring a rebuild option for my Neo and realistically there is no change whatsoever from 5k, for even the most basic rebuild. I have marked my bores too plus suspect a crack in the block so in practice it will well beyond 5k. Replacement engine is my preferred choice, just very hard to source at the moment.

Given where 32/33/34 prices are at the moment (GT-R's notwithstanding) you must be willing to spend the cost of the car or thereabouts if chasing a properly done big power RB engine build IMHO.