SAU Community

Short block build cost

czy18e

Hey guys,

Wondering if any of you that have built or had built an RB short block would mind posting your estimated build cost.

I am in the process of getting quotes and they range from 5k to 15k

This is short block only.

Peak rpm 8000

Power 700hp

Professional job with quality parts.

Any input is appreciated.

Don't mind the look of the spool short block on their website at $6600 thoughts?

This is only an approximation based on mine.  There would be a lot higher examples and possibly a bit lower but you'd get a pretty good engine for that.

$1500 pistons

$1000 rods

$500 bearings

$1000 Machining

$1000 Labour

$15k looks a bit OTT

Ewan's $5k is more like it...although you might want to fully balance the lot.

For NZ$8K Rips wil biuld you a fully forged 2wd RB30 short block  or for $13K a complete engine.

Everyone forget all the little things that add up, oil pump, studs, gaskets, new factory oil cooler, hoses, drilling out oil returns, Welch plugs and the list goes on 

+1 for this. Also depending on what engine it is. If rb26 I would b adding in an extended sump so that's another 1500+ and while the motor is out I would also be doing the front diff

5 minutes ago, UWISSH! said:

+1 for this. Also depending on what engine it is. If rb26 I would b adding in an extended sump so that's another 1500+ and while the motor is out I would also be doing the front diff.

+ 1 on this!

7 hours ago, r32-25t said:

Everyone forget all the little things that add up, oil pump, studs, gaskets, new factory oil cooler, hoses, drilling out oil returns, Welch plugs and the list goes on 

was going to post exactly this. its the little bits that blow it out. few hundred on this, few hundred on that.. maybe replace this and that while im here.

With no labour for assembly as I'm a mech my long motor cost me 11k 

That's spool I beams, cp pistons, spline driven oil gears, new oil pump for the housing, new water pump, new timing belt kit, seals and gaskets, cometic head gasket. Arp mains, arp head bolts,new valve Springs, exhaust head porting, head reco, block decked, bored, tunnel bored and chemical clean, crank linished and collar fitted, random fittings for external oil feed for vct, sump modifications, a few other bits and peices

• Like 1

Yep to the pins and fasteners yet no the rb26 bearings. My motor currently only making 335awkw on e85, yet will go alot higher once I have more funding to upgrade the turbo and manifold as its currently just the stock rb25 manifold with an internal gate hypergear atr43g3

Sent from my E5823 using SAU Community mobile app

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Piggaz said:

If you're gonna rebuild... build a stroker! It's so little.. for so much more!

If staying 2.6, put another stock engine into it....

HUH? If ou need a new crank then perhaps....but if your crank is healthy than 2k on rods and pistons...whats the cheapest stroker kit these days?

23 minutes ago, Roy said:

HUH? If ou need a new crank then perhaps....but if your crank is healthy than 2k on rods and pistons...whats the cheapest stroker kit these days?

Why would you leave the factory throw crank in there when for a little bit more you could have a stroker?

You're paying for machining, assembly, studs, gaskets, pumps and consumables anyway.

Baffles me why guys go to all that effort and leave it standard capacity. 

LOL Price? They all seem 6k. For me thats another 6-9 months of saving over an ebay piston/rod deal for 2k:( Baffles me that peple have the disposable income to shell out on stuff...by baffle i mean envious. I am still trying to piece my car back together after 2 years of being off the road and tired of being broke and spending all my spare cash on cars :(