SAU Community

Which should I go with GTX2863, 2530, or 2860-5

30 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Make sure you throw in wanky HKS dumps and Tomei billion dollar stainless manifolds.

Don't forget the stickers.

I have a HKS tramp stamp. Cost me $5000 for the tattoo. True story.

In all honesty, i dunno what i'm gonna do with my frankenturbos when i take them off the car. I will sell them... But it's gonna be a tough sell. Someone may have a use for them, or they can re-use the housings or core for something i spose.

6 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

I could use one of the cores but with a suitable rear housing :D

Will keep you updated when i take them off, which will be sooner rather than later. 

I suppose, at the very least, something can be taken away from these frankenfails.

So having GTX 63 mm wheels jammed into a place that they don't belong netted a result that was lazier by far then the original 2510's and made no more power than a 2859 (-9) with its smaller front fan and much larger rear end.

The 2510's in original form never seem to match the -9's. Bigger front, smaller rear. A 2510 has a 2530 compressor with a much smaller ass end yet doesn't make the power of a GT SS/-9. What's the bloody point?

2540's which are a 76.2 major/51.7 minor compressor side being driven by a typical "GT25" hotside has always been a nugget. Big front, small rear.

GT RS's were a 71.1 major/51.2 minor driven by a GT 25 hotside. We all know they suck. Big front, small rear.

Jamming these higher flowing "billet" compressors in with no fooks given to the turbine side seems rather strange. These GTX wheels are designed around a compressor cover which looks nothing like the compact "GTR style" that they get machined into. What do they flow in those housings? Who the hell would know, but there is a common trend that the GTX wheels in stock style housings NEVER perform as well as when they're left in they're original home! 

Take the 2530 which for a long time was considered the "holy grail" of low mounts. Maybe because the compressor is matched to the turbine. Air IN AND OUT! How can you expect an engine to perform with a cork up its ass and the mentality of "but the compressor map said so".

Voodoo's results (sorry mate) are a perfect example of this. If this was the case then we would all be running around with promod 88 mm front wheels being driven by stock sized turbine wheels "for responds"

A GTX 60 mm wheel in its natural habitat flows 42 ish lb/min flat stick (who knows what it does in the compact housings but it won't be 42). That's 6 more than a -5's but still has to get out the same hole. 63's and 67's make the issue worse. It's like trying to empty a bathtub with just the plug pulled but being filled up with a fire fighters hose. 

Until Garrett do something with the hotside, it's the same stupid shit HKS tried years ago. 

Too much looking at what the compressor can do without any consideration to how it gets out!!!!!

I attatched this before but I'll attatch it again. Look at the front to rear combinations and think what combo's work. It ISNT big front/peanut rear's.

IMG_4367.JPG

• Like 8

^We need a sticky of this thread and a sticky of that post in this thread and Voodoo's result quoted in.

I've been saying for nearly a decade twins are gay, Piggaz probably has nightmares about me saying it.

Now time for big bad single in twin scroll with twin gates and a fancy twin scroll manifold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr_rbman said:

ye -5 lag scares me to be honest and I think i'm already pushing -7 limits (98RON anyway)

mmmmmmm

Were you planning on staying 98 when/if you upgraded turbos?

7s can be maxed out on 98 so i wouldnt really expect much more power even with E85. Though you may pick up some nice extra torque from feeding it some more timing ?

Sadly if you want high 300s the -5s may not quite get you there on 98 either. Unless your setup is 100%.

If you are currently at 310 on 7s would you be satisfied with say roughly around the 370 zone with 5s on 98 but not getting anywhere in a hurry below 5000rpm?

I know im probably gunna get flamed here but I'm gunna say it.......

I dont want to start a dyno debate here and its not my intention to rubbish Action Dans results either as he is just sharing the result he got. But this is purely "my opinion" but i think 380kw on 9s is coming into -5 power territory and i dont think a set of cams is gunna net you a whole turbo size larger power increase unfortunately. 

So yes i think its around 30-40kw higher than the other 1000's of results from 9s. 

Hey i could be wrong and he could have 1 of those "freakish motors" that just makes gobs of grunt?

Edited by Mick_o
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Mick_o said:

Were you planning on staying 98 when/if you upgraded turbos?

7s can be maxed out on 98 so i wouldnt really expect much more power even with E85. Though you may pick up some nice extra torque from feeding it some more timing ?

Sadly if you want high 300s the -5s may not quite get you there on 98 either. Unless your setup is 100%.

If you are currently at 310 on 7s would you be satisfied with say roughly around the 370 zone with 5s on 98 but not getting anywhere in a hurry below 5000rpm?

I know im probably gunna get flamed here but I'm gunna say it.......

I dont want to start a dyno debate here and its not my intention to rubbish Action Dans results either as he is just sharing the result he got. But this is purely "my opinion" but i think 380kw on 9s is coming into -5 power territory and i dont think a set of cams is gunna net you a whole turbo size larger power increase unfortunately. 

So yes i think its around 30-40kw higher than the other 1000's of results from 9s. 

Hey i could be wrong and he could have 1 of those "freakish motors" that just makes gobs of grunt?

Mick, I have limited access to E85 here in the south of Adelaide so the plan was flex.....

-5's i don't consider an option personally, we all know how lazy a standard bore RB26 is with twins, my current -7's setup is about as laggy as i'd want to get....

At the end of the day, my current setup I am happy with...........the only reason for considering other options is I believe I may have a turbo on it's way out so my thought basis was if i'm spending the money to remove turbos then why go to all that hassle to only net the same previous result. Why not spend a bit more (hi-flo turbos?, cams, injectors, E85 etc......) and net some more power....

The more i look into it though I think I could just be wanting too much given i don't want to go down the single path....

I don't think Dans results are too far stretched, from what I've seen not many people have gone down his path with E85 and his choice of cams.......they're certainly on the limit but not completely unbelievable.....

When I spoke to Kelford, showed him my entire setup and current graphs and had him recommend me a cam, he was spot on with the expected power gain and end result. 

The tuner I use has an 8s VL tuned on the same dyno that makes about 1000hp. Times seem to match the power. 

I think my car is a little unique compare to other -9 setups, people usually have some but not all of the bits. N1 manifolds, big mofo pods (which made a dyno tested 14rwkw gain at the 330kw mark as we proved the airbox was a restriction). I have hard suction pipes, plazmaman and maybe most importantly, the biggest bolt on dumps I could get (3" HPI) into a HPI front pipe which is 3" off each turbo, then 3.5" at the merge and for the entire remainder of the exhaust. 

Plus I run Kelford cams, where as everyone else seems to run Tomei and hate them. 

It's a dyno dynamics though, so you could easily take off a few KW on a Mainline. 

The car is the sum of a slightly unique set of researched parts and talking to people who actually know their shit. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

hello

correctly I have understood that djvoodoo has changed only a compressor wheel and turbine wheel stay 25?

i want rebuld my hks 2510 to gtx2863 (compressor 47-63, turbine 47-54)

is this good idea? when is spool up with twin 2863?

or may be rebuilt to 2530?

264 cams

thx

Every "experiment" with larger GTX wheels ends up with anti climatic results.

If you want to burn money correctly I suggest you go a big twin scroll turbo and be happy. Every owner who wants response, driveability and big power all end up moving to a modern single. If it took BMW only 3 years to work out twins are gay it's sure taking a damn while for you GT-R boys.

• Like 3